The Euros

31 minutes ago, MarvelOwls said:

51 games of football where I can be neutral for just about all of them!

Good to see the crowds. Looking forward to seeing some players I've never heard of before.

I thought the England game was just job done. Professional performance as they say. If we want to progress then we have to change it up a gear which I think the squad is capable of.

Foden looked bright at the start but faded off. Mount played well. I'd bring in Shaw for Walker for the next game.  I didnt want to like Kalvin Phillips ( because of the Leeds connection) but he was class today and would be my man of the match. Sterling lively too.

I think 1-0 was a fair score, we looked brilliant in spells but the heat will have been draining also even for croatia who I think were poor to say they had a number of starters that were World Cup runners up 3 years ago. 

For me the best thing about this england side is the ability to adapt our personnel and shape according to their opposition. I think against scotland grealish will need to start because they will just sit back. Add rashford and sancho to the mix, it’s a frightening front line. 

Also shout out to Pickford and mings,they’ve had his critics but were outstanding today. 

A solid 8/10 performance 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, prowl said:

No it's not that that gets on my nerves.

Prima donna players.

Play acting.

VAR.

Too much hype of pretty average football by media.

Big build up to very average games.

England team, always hyped up to be great then flop.

Hysteria when we look like we might get a bit of success then comes the big let dowm

It just doesn't work for me. I prefer honest endeavour by players playing for the love of the game rather than the money and fame.

i dont have and i avoid.sky. i dont read newspapers. and you cant blame or stop the public getting excited.

most football fans are grounded..and after the last 20 years everyone has been cautious.

every prediction ive seen says quarters or semis..which is fair enough.  doubt well break the glass ceiling to the elite any time soon but you can hope

really doesnt take.british people much to be cynical, me as well.

• Like 2

Guest LondonOwl313
6 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

Obviously it’s your opinion but personally I couldn’t disagree more. 

This is the first major event where people from all across Europe have been able to come together and celebrate with each other and in different countries. England have got a fantastic young team and i just feel the whole occasion will lift people’s spirits and finally put the scaremongering media to bed. And of course the sooner last season ended the better. 

Do we actually have a good team? I’m going to judge at the end but I suspect we’ll go out in the last 16.

Today and the two friendlies we’ve won them all 1-0, and struggled to open teams up. Been laboured in possession. The other top teams won’t struggle with that I suspect.. Italy and Belgium already both scored 3.

We’ll win the group then probably lose as soon as we play anyone decent, which given group F will be the next round.

I can’t see the hype about Southgate either.. last World Cup the draw opened up as everyone else imploded. We still managed to lose twice to Belgium and to Croatia and only beat Panama, Tunisia and Sweden but apparently that’s a good tournament. What’s more is his selections and tactics are awful, playing people out of position and leaving out our main creative player in Grealish. And that’s before even mentioning his constant irritating wokeness and lack of personality. Can’t wait for him to go tbh

10 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

It’s ridiculous.. it’s like they have an equality quota on everything. I feel like we’re losing this culture war, it’s now fully acceptable to have these women who nobody knows who they are yapping away like amateurs. I have to turn the sound off sometimes.. might as well find people who played for the dog and duck as it’s the same standard. 

Please tell me you didn't just really post that

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Owlstalk Shop

Ok I'll be honest

I've not seen one single second of it yet as been busy and not that bothered, but going to give it a go over the next day or two in the background and see if I get hooked in

Didn't help that I was out in a pub today having lunch this afternoon and some 'lads' walked into the pub and did that thing where they try and outdo each other at being a proper lad and proper into proper football and proper England n that

So when England scored they went totally over the top in such a way that you just know if their mates weren't there trying to compete for the 'biggest and truest England fan in the group' they'd have just sat and had a quiet pint

lol

The absolute insecurity of those kinda 'lads' always makes me chuckle

Anyway - gonna give it a go and hopefully we see some quality football!

Owlstalk Shop

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Please tell me you didn't just really post that

That’s what I think mate.. country is divided and would think a lot think the same but others don’t, including those who control the media. ITV has someone called Emma Hayes on, had to google who she was. Got no problem with them increasing coverage and publicity of the women’s game and having women pundits on that, but just hate it on the men’s game

Just now, LondonOwl313 said:

That’s what I think mate.. country is divided 

14 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

it’s now fully acceptable to have these women who nobody knows who they are yapping away like amateurs.  

yeah

I see why now

Owlstalk Shop

The main ex-female footballer that I've seen the most of is Alex Scott and I really like her. She's bright, articulate, friendly and personable. Her analysis is pretty good and appears to know what she's talking about. If others are like her then I'd be happy to listen to them and watch them. Always remember her when she was on the panel a few years back when we played Chelsea and we were on TV. Ruud Gullit was there too and talked over the top of her; was patronising too - although granted that's something more subjective. Less of w*nkers like him and more of her please.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

It’s ridiculous.. it’s like they have an equality quota on everything. I feel like we’re losing this culture war, it’s now fully acceptable to have these women who nobody knows who they are yapping away like amateurs. I have to turn the sound off sometimes.. might as well find people who played for the dog and duck as it’s the same standard. 

I played Sheffield Nomads league....Me wife didn't...but she watched and told me I was crap....

you can have such as Adrian Durham on Talksport pontificating...He hasn't played football at any decent level....So whats wrong with a lass that gives her opinion?

i would say nowt

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Guest LondonOwl313

That does nothing but highlight your own personal lack of knowledge

I’ve just got no interest in a standard of football that’s lower than the 9th tier of the men’s game. I watched some of the women’s World Cup the other year but it’s just not very good quality wise

I’ve just got no interest in a standard of football that’s lower than the 9th tier of the men’s game. I watched some of the women’s World Cup the other year but it’s just not very good quality wise

That's nothing at all to do with what you posted above though really mate

lol

Owlstalk Shop

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

I played Sheffield Nomads league....Me wife didn't...but she watched and told me I was crap....

you can have such as Adrian Durham on Talksport pontificating...He hasn't played football at any decent level....So whats wrong with a lass that gives her opinion?

i would say nowt

There’s nothing wrong with anyone having and expressing an opinion. However, not everyone gets to have a camera put on them while they do. They only have male ex pros on who’ve played at the highest level.. they never have people who’ve played in the conference north on

There’s nothing wrong with anyone having and expressing an opinion. However, not everyone gets to have a camera put on them while they do. They only have male ex pros on who’ve played at the highest level.. they never have people who’ve played in the conference north on

You must be gutted then mate

Unlucky

It's not gonna stop - it's only going to get more prolific

So I'd get used to it and come into 2021 and modern life a bit more

lol

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Martin Keown's played at the highest level and he's bloody right annoying.

So has Alex Scott, know which one I'd prefer to listen to.

There's also crap female analysts, makes no difference what they've got between their legs.

Guest LondonOwl313

You must be gutted then mate

Unlucky

It's not gonna stop - it's only going to get more prolific

So I'd get used to it and come into 2021 and modern life a bit more

lol

I agree it will get worse.. won’t stop me moaning about it though. 

Honestly, with pundits I want to hear anecdotes about how it is to play in these games. These females rarely played in front of more than a thousand during their careers. It’s totally not the same.

Im all for developing the women’s game and improving the commercial opportunities for it. But just right gets on my nerves with the punditry

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, CalmJimmers said:

Martin Keown's played at the highest level and he's bloody right annoying.

So has Alex Scott, know which one I'd prefer to listen to.

There's also crap female analysts, makes no difference what they've got between their legs.

Keown and Jenas are awful. I don’t like Scott though, just says ‘fink’ all the time.. can’t even talk properly. 

2 minutes ago, Blueform mac said:

It's bbc do gooders, they want shooting. Theses women have no idea of the real game but are there to meet quotas. Look at so called game shows and some of the " male" presenters who are there to meet quotas too. No discernible talent other than who they are.

My god.

😳

• Like 4