The Euros

17 minutes ago, devonshire owl said:

Think Jonathan pierce is the worse commentator,all he gives us is facts and figures about the players,dos'nt talk about the actual game.when he's commentating I turn the sound off.

Imagine Pierce commentating, with garth crookes in the studio. That's a line up to proper pass people off!

Watched the England match and will probably watch a few others. I enjoyed England’s performance today. Good selection from Southgate. Mings, Phillips and mount all impressed. 

england are realistically the only shot of me seeing actual silverware in my lifetime so I’m gonna cheer them on and hopefully we can go far. 

• Like 3

I honestly couldn’t tell you who was commentating or commenting last night. I tend to ignore it. I’ve managed perfectly well watching Wednesday for 50 odd years without a commentary. Tend to switch off at the final whistle unless there’s been something controversial I want to see again. Really don’t see that it matters whose talking over the game. Let’s be right, the bulk of footballers aren’t particularly blessed in that department.  

9 hours ago, Lincowl said:

For all the talk of how bad the pundits are, remember we don’t need them at all. What is the point of all the cliches? Goes for all levels of football, when Garry Monk et al comment on us.

Highlights without any analysis would suit me, I hardly know who any of the players are outside of SWFC these days anyway.

I like it when Monk is a pundit for our games, causes a meltdown on OT it’s hilarious.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

It’s ridiculous.. it’s like they have an equality quota on everything. I feel like we’re losing this culture war, it’s now fully acceptable to have these women who nobody knows who they are yapping away like amateurs. I have to turn the sound off sometimes.. might as well find people who played for the dog and duck as it’s the same standard. 

It’s only a culture war if you choose to see equality between male and female and race equality as something you don’t wan’t. 

I agree it’s an odd thing to say the Men’s England team and the Men’s Ashes squad etc....but the world has to change and improve. The world will be a better place for it. I know you’re delighting in using the term wokeness that right wing people use, but Southgate has a social conscience and uses his position well to say important things. This is not about annoying do gooders, something much bigger is happening. The Euros seem to be something that shouts inclusivity and togetherness, a lovely antidote to the dangerous nationalism and withdrawing we have seen rise in recent years.

Nice tournament. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Having read this thread I’ve come to the conclusion that everyone is a proper grumpy arse 

lol

It’s just a commentator - if you don’t like em turn it off or turn it down and put some Vera Lynn on your stereogram and fap yourself silly over how good the old days used to be 

ffs

Lighten up, get outside, stop moaning and enjoy life!

• Haha 2

Owlstalk Shop

Ignore my last post 

I’m nearly at Blackpool only to find its started chucking it down and there’s a wintry hailstorms and lightning on the way

FFS

Never used to get those in Blackpool in the olden days - the young hipsters really have wrecked this country havent they 

Owlstalk Shop

14 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

It's gone from a thread about The Euros, to basically how women should be cooking tea and keeping their mouths shut

Amazing

PS _ For anyone reading the views of some of the dinosaurs in this thread do NOT represent this site

lol

My wife does neither. 

• Haha 1

Guest Jack the Hat

Love the Euros and the world cup. I'll be watching as many as i can and all the England games in the boozer with a retro shirt on. Might have a few beers while i'm there.

57 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Ignore my last post 

I’m nearly at Blackpool only to find its started chucking it down and there’s a wintry hailstorms and lightning on the way

FFS

Never used to get those in Blackpool in the olden days - the young hipsters really have wrecked this country havent they 

Your arrival has heralded the opening of the Seventh Circle of Hell hasn't it FFS. Nice one Neil.

Or is that just how Blackpool always looks?

Back to football matters, how does everyone feel about the format of the competition with many teams playing at home stadiums? Personally I’ve enjoyed it mainly as there’s been a bit of real atmosphere to listen to. Can’t figure out if it makes things more or less unfair or if it matters either way. I’m enjoying the tournament more than I thought I would, particularly non England games where I don’t care about the outcome. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Plonk said:

I honestly couldn’t tell you who was commentating or commenting last night. I tend to ignore it. I’ve managed perfectly well watching Wednesday for 50 odd years without a commentary. Tend to switch off at the final whistle unless there’s been something controversial I want to see again. Really don’t see that it matters whose talking over the game. Let’s be right, the bulk of footballers aren’t particularly blessed in that department.  

where do you sit that there's no ar$ehole commenting, commentating, or some 'new' mourinho verbally coaching the players from 15+ rows back, thinking he's impressing everyone with his depth of knowledge.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Ignore my last post 

FFS

No that’s us old uns and our global warming. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

where do you sit that there's no ar$ehole commenting, commentating, or some 'new' mourinho verbally coaching the players from 15+ rows back, thinking he's impressing everyone with his depth of knowledge.

North stand with my mates, they know better!

35 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I believe in things being on merit and tbh I’m sick to death of gender or race being brought in to things. We already have equality. I mean for a start, these black footballers earn 50-500 times as much as the working man, yet apparently they don’t have equality. Totally taking the p*ss. I don’t have a problem with them earning the money.. it’s a rare skill set and most couldn’t do their job. But I don’t want them playing the victim all the time. And it’s blatantly obvious the more they do so the more some people are going to goad them with nasty comments.

If a woman is the best person for the job then it’s fine for her to get the job, but when you’ve no experience of top level football they shouldn’t be pundits on top level football, in my opinion.

Southgate is a wet lettuce and will cost England a chance of winning this year. He’s too political and also tactically inept.

I don't know where to start with this....

Just

wow

• Like 4

Wow some of the posts on here. People need to get a grip. 

Alex Scott was a million miles the best pundit when she was a pundit in the studio - (I think when Chelsea played us in FA cup). She was the only one that had done her research on SWFC whereas her male counterparts hadn't got a clue. 

In fact with the money in the game - Sky put out some pathetic commentators and pundits for championship football. They misrepresent facts all the time and clearly are not experts in the field as opposed to PL football. 

HOWEVER, the only person that bothered to learn about us and do their homework was Alex Scott. I would rather 5 Alex Scott's than any other pundit who hasn't even bothered to learn our players. She impressed me and wiped the floor with interesting knowledge about us whereas the male counterparts were just basically guessing. 

I am glad she is at the Euros. for me the old guard's stories are becoming outdated anyway. Souness/ Keane/ Linekar can go if it wasn't for Keane/Souness being controversial and argumentative and Linekar being a squeaky clean pundit - I don't think the broadcasters would keep them. 

All the newer pundits I like as its more relevant in the modern game.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I believe in things being on merit and tbh I’m sick to death of gender or race being brought in to things. We already have equality. I mean for a start, these black footballers earn 50-500 times as much as the working man, yet apparently they don’t have equality. Totally taking the p*ss. I don’t have a problem with them earning the money.. it’s a rare skill set and most couldn’t do their job. But I don’t want them playing the victim all the time. And it’s blatantly obvious the more they do so the more some people are going to goad them with nasty comments.

If a woman is the best person for the job then it’s fine for her to get the job, but when you’ve no experience of top level football they shouldn’t be pundits on top level football, in my opinion.

Southgate is a wet lettuce and will cost England a chance of winning this year. He’s too political and also tactically inept.

Jesus Christ.

Have a f*cking word with yourself.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

First women

Now black people

Whos next on your ‘list’ the Jews??

Horrific views mate 

It’s gone beyond acceptable what you’re posting now 

You might be better off on TommyRobinson.com or The Jim Davidson Facebook group

Its not welcome on here and yes - I’m being deadly serious 

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop