The Euros

Guest LondonOwl313
Just now, MarvelOwls said:

What was your question?

Sorry mate, forgot to actually add the question. In summary, if we don’t have men on there as experts if they don’t have any experience, then why is it seen as necessary/acceptable for women with no experience to be given the same role? Isn’t that discrimation?

1 minute ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

Better let it go. You’re arguing with a group of super-intellects here, who can’t comprehend you having a different opinion to them. You need to “educate yourself” because you’re apparently a “dinosaur” out of touch with their progressive beliefs.

*I completely agree with you btw. I mute the TV whenever Alex Scott or Jenas speak. They’re on there to fill quotas and tick boxes. Love Ian Wright though, before the “intellects” have a hernia! :ph34r:

Well you've really outdone the intellects with this post

lol

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI
Just now, @owlstalk said:

Next you'll be ranting about the licence fee and Gary Lineker

FFS

That was quick! lol

No comment on the licence fee. but Lineker’s never received a penny from me…

Guest LondonOwl313
4 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

what have these female pundits said that you take issue with then.....Cos its honestly starting to sound like its simply 

"Because they are women"

cos ive listened to it and can't really disagree with most said

It’s not anything particular that they say, it’s more they have no comment around how things were when they were in the same situation, simply because they’ve never been in the situation.

I could probably find a lot of people on owlstalk or Twitter or at the pub that I’d agree with when they talk about football, but I don’t think they should be put on TV

5 minutes ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

Better let it go. You’re arguing with a group of super-intellects here, who can’t comprehend you having a different opinion to them. You need to “educate yourself” because you’re apparently a “dinosaur” out of touch with their progressive beliefs.

*I completely agree with you btw. I mute the TV whenever Alex Scott or Jenas speak. They’re on there to fill quotas and tick boxes. Love Ian Wright though, before the “intellects” have a hernia! :ph34r:

Its not a matter of "progressive beliefs" is it?

its a matter of listening to an opinion of someone of the opposite sex and not finding any real fault with it

If you think thats "Progressive thinkin'.....".........I'll bring the tractor down to the tar pit yer stuck in....

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

It’s not anything particular that they say, it’s more they have no comment around how things were when they were in the same situation, simply because they’ve never been in the situation.

I could probably find a lot of people on owlstalk or Twitter or at the pub that I’d agree with when they talk about football, but I don’t think they should be put on TV

I understand what you're (clumsily) trying to say but let's be fair straight white middle aged white men have had their share of everything for long enough 

Time to open life up to other people

I think if you just said that you feel women don't have the international experience to comment on international football yet then that's way more acceptable than to suggest they're yapping on, and how others have ranted in the thread how they get all disgusted that a woman has spoken so mute the television, give the wife a black eye for not having the tea on the table, and have stormed off down the pub to play darts with Tony and Jeff

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I understand what you're trying to say but let's be fair straight white middle aged white men have had their share of everything for long enough 

Nah...I totally disagree wiv that....i think i should have another few years lol

• Haha 1

On a side note though 

Totally unrelated 

My mate just got text me to say he's been fired from his job

He's totally gutted 

He just got called in and sacked yesterday which came as a big shock as he thought he was doing ok (he’d been there a few years)

He worked at that place in Doncaster that makes computer keyboards

His boss told him he was sacking him as he just wasn’t putting the shifts in

• Haha 2

Owlstalk Shop

Guest LondonOwl313
5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I understand what you're trying to say but let's be fair straight white middle aged white men have had their share of everything for long enough 

But I just think things should be on merit, rather than giving people opportunities because of their gender or skin colour

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

But I just think things should be on merit, rather than giving people opportunities because of their gender or skin colour

And that's fair enough

It's the other bits that you've tossed into the mix in your posts about it that are difficult and need challenging

You know.

The abhorrent outdated views?

lol

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

I like Alex Scott. I think she’s a good pundit and decent presenter. She played football at the highest level she possibly could. Obviously if the entire commentating team excluded ex England men’s players in entirety it would be strange and unbalanced but it’s perfectly reasonable to have a bit of a mix of views and experience in a commentating team. 
To be fair I’m genuinely surprised how much people seem to care about football pundits. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

The media isn't like that though....Its like expecting michael parkinson to be as good a boxer as Ali ...isn't it?

Its how you present yourself

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

And thats how the modern bigot has found a voice...but successfully playing the victim every time...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@LondonOwl313

Genuine questions here pal, I hope you don't mind

1. You've explained that you think TV presenters should be able to draw from their own personal experiences. As we know, the women's game is some way behind the men's, and you've even praised the new Sky deal as a way to springboard that game. How long do you think we would have to wait before the women's game gets close enough to matching the level of the men's game where you would countenance a female ex-footballer offering 30 second soundbites for the viewing public? 10 years, 20 years, 30 years, 40 years? What would be your ballpark timespan before you will find a woman footballer that has had an equivalent experience to the men's game so that you can tolerate her voicing her opinion for 90 seconds?

2. Have you ever complained about ex Premier League players offering comments on FA Cup games at places like Harrogate, as they have never experienced non-league football?

25 minutes ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

I mute the TV whenever Alex Scott or Jenas speak. They’re on there to fill quotas and tick boxes. Love Ian Wright though...

I love Ian Wright too but I think he's extremely poor about communicating ideas a lot of the time. Prefer both Jenas and Scott over him in that space - I think they're better at doing that than he is, however producers of shows will have Wrighty on for his enthusiasm and passion which is fine.

• Like 2