Next Bolton at best or the next Bury at worst

The mobilisation should have happened 6 months ago when salary problems first arose.

Could have worked on the logistics of a Wesnesday FC to start in non-league in the 21/22 season with huge momentum vs other clubs at that level that were still reeling from Covid effects with crowds a fraction of our potential. 

Too late now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

The mobilisation should have happened 6 months ago when salary problems first arose.

Could have worked on the logistics of a Wesnesday FC to start in non-league in the 21/22 season with huge momentum vs other clubs at that level that were still reeling from Covid effects with crowds a fraction of our potential. 

Too late now.

Wednesday FC will only happen when Sheffield Wednesday FC doesn't exist. We need to ensure that doesn't happen. A trust fund to allow fans to donate in the meantime should be setup. With funds paid back and or donated to charity if never required. I'm not up on this sort of thing but sure it'd be possible? Like I've said before, we need 6.5m before September so the sooner the better if the worse is to happen. 

None of these funds are to fund today's ownership model. That has to be condition number 1!

• Haha 2

I live in Bolton and today while watching the game between Morecambe and Newport with my son-in-law who incidentally is a very keen supporter of Bolton we got talking about the potential problem that Wednesday might face should we face administration or even liquidation sometime soon.

It’s ironic the similarities between Bolton and Wednesday - they too had a chairman that couldn’t run a ******** up in a brewery and was as egotistical as Chansiri.

In Bolton’s case they had a great financially rich benefactor that had bank rolled the club for years from his tax haven in the Isle of Man

Unfortunately once he died his family withdrew their financial support which apparently had amounted to approx £180m over several years  and then the rot started to set in

The family demanded interest payments to be increased in an effort to claw back the generosity of the custodian

To make matters worse a couple of years ago the club was subject to investigations by the EFL following evidence of the misguided and mismanagement of the club. by the chairman who appeared just as egotistical as Chansiri. The rest is history and as we know  they were subject to points deductions etc etc that finished with the club ending up in League 2.

However they have been able to rise from the ashes following a takeover by a consortium that showed they did care about Bolton’s future and now we will be playing them next season following their promotion.

Today they appear to have given all their supporters a new ‘breath of fresh air’ and looking forward to the new season.

I was even told by my son in law that thousands of supporters have opted to allow their club to keep the money they spent on season tickets as a gesture of support to the new owners. Incidentally he has had 2 adults and 2 junior season tickets for the last 10 years so his contribution for last season was well over £1000.

They are on their way up and looking forward to the future with owners that care about their supporters.

Although we will be playing Bolton next season all things being equal I can’t help feeling they are on an upward projection and we appear to be going downhill 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TheGaffer said:

Wednesday FC will only happen when Sheffield Wednesday FC doesn't exist. We need to ensure that doesn't happen. A trust fund to allow fans to donate in the meantime should be setup. With funds paid back and or donated to charity if never required. I'm not up on this sort of thing but sure it'd be possible? Like I've said before, we need 6.5m before September so the sooner the better if the worse is to happen. 

None of these funds are to fund today's ownership model. That has to be condition number 1!

A trust fund based on supporter donations to prop up a problem of Chansiri’s own making *is* supporting “today’s ownership model”. It’s more good money after bad, and just places even more financial burden on supporters to recover from a problem that only exists through the owners incompetence.

Sorry. Amongst all the relentless negativity I’m genuinely not trying to shoot down ideas. It’s just going to be a tough sell (and a non-starter, IMO) to expect fans to pony up more cash for propping up Chansiri’s club. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, TheGaffer said:

. A trust fund to allow fans to donate in the meantime should be setup. With funds paid back

Eh?

So Chansiri keeps 100% of the club, 100% of the stadium and the club pays the rent on the stadium to Chansiri.  And all the while, fans buy tickets and then also contribute into a fund to maintain this way of business.

Give me a ******** break.  Stop doffing your cap to a man who just happens to have been born wealthier than you.

• Like 2

Just now, StudentOwl said:

Too late now.

what crowds do you think we are going to get if we groundshare at somewhere like  stocksbridge or hallam ?........

6 minutes ago, Manwë said:

Eh?

So Chansiri keeps 100% of the club, 100% of the stadium and the club pays the rent on the stadium to Chansiri.  And all the while, fans buy tickets and then also contribute into a fund to maintain this way of business.

Give me a ******** break.  Stop doffing your cap to a man who just happens to have been born wealthier than you.

Exactly, well said.

Chansiri can flush his own money down the toilet -he’s not going to do it to any of mine as well.

Guest LondonOwl313
16 minutes ago, Manwë said:

Eh?

That’s not what he’s saying is it? Thought he meant we should raise money in the interim in the knowledge that we might have opportunity to buy him out.. and if it’s never needed, then return it to source 

11 minutes ago, torryowl said:

what crowds do you think we are going to get if we groundshare at somewhere like  stocksbridge or hallam ?........

Probably about 95% of whatever those grounds hold, which is almost certainly more than whatever teams get at the level we would have to enter at.

Regardless, it will certainly be more than the 0 we'll get when the club ceases to exist. 

1 hour ago, sheffield_dave said:

A trust fund based on supporter donations to prop up a problem of Chansiri’s own making *is* supporting “today’s ownership model”. It’s more good money after bad, and just places even more financial burden on supporters to recover from a problem that only exists through the owners incompetence.

Sorry. Amongst all the relentless negativity I’m genuinely not trying to shoot down ideas. It’s just going to be a tough sell (and a non-starter, IMO) to expect fans to pony up more cash for propping up Chansiri’s club. 

1 hour ago, Manwë said:

Eh?

No.

Not at all. 

I mean when the inevitable happens and he cuts and runs we need as supporters the money available immediately to purchase the club, ground, etc. Hence the the current model of ownership not carrying on being number 1 priority. 

The whole point being prepared for when it will happen. No good the tax man calling in a debt with 14 days to pay then scrabbling around like last time. This time we as fans could say Mr taxman we have the money but on condition that the ownership is transferred to the trust with x amount of millions, board made up of xx, and a business plan for the next xxx years. 

Sorry if I, for one second, causes you to think I wanted to prop up the current mismanagement 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, torryowl said:

the idea of wednesday fc sounds good but where the hell do they play ? they wont be allowed at national league north to play at either grounds and hillsborough will be no more . new grounds cost huge amounts of money even more so now with massive increase in building materials . who has 100million to build a new ground? 

8 hours ago, torryowl said:

or we could groundshare with barnsley or toytown oh my god what have we become. 

4 hours ago, morganowl said:

the idea of wednesday fc sounds good but where the hell do they play ? they wont be allowed at national league north to play at either grounds and hillsborough will be no more . new grounds cost huge amounts of money even more so now with massive increase in building materials . who has 100million to build a new ground? 

FC United of Manchester played at Gigg Lane for years (ironically, given whats happened to Bury since) before building their own ground. AFC Wimbledon shared with Kingstonian FC for years before returning to Plough Lane.

It can be done. It has been done. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Too late now.

Who should have pushed this mobilisation?

You?