Unsustainable Player Recruitment

32 minutes ago, OwlinOldham said:

Highlighted the bit thats the problem. Unlike Barnsley, We dont actually have a plan. 

We dont currently seem to even have a basic set up in place like Barnsley that can identify up and coming talent to develop into better players. Most if not all of our signing shave been "recommended" to us. Imagine selling Fessi or Reach when they were at their best and them being replaced by some other Doyen/Paxo suggestion. Remember, signings such as Abdi and David Jones were players that were recommended to us, not scouted. 

I’m hopeful that has changed with the recruitment team being put in place. Whilst we’ve had some horrendous transfers in hindsight, many of them Abdi and Jones included looked decent at the time they were brought in. Not befitting a sustainable plan, but not as horrible as they turned out to be. 

Also look at some of the others brought in since as possible reason for optimism. Iorfa, reportedly earns less than half of JvA. Luongo less than Hutch.... we were bringing in better players for less. But it was too little too late. 

2 hours ago, Rogers said:

Exactly. Selling your best players only works if you have someone equal or better to replace them, which some clubs seem to do

I read this statement all the time in a lot of different threads and it’s absolute rubbish.
Football is a team game, if selling a top player helps you finance purchases to make you a better team then that’s all that matters. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Philb125 said:

I’m hopeful that has changed with the recruitment team being put in place. Whilst we’ve had some horrendous transfers in hindsight, many of them Abdi and Jones included looked decent at the time they were brought in. Not befitting a sustainable plan, but not as horrible as they turned out to be. 

Also look at some of the others brought in since as possible reason for optimism. Iorfa, reportedly earns less than half of JvA. Luongo less than Hutch.... we were bringing in better players for less. But it was too little too late. 

I really hope so too.  We just need to actually get a plan in place, along with ways to identify genuine quality and ability. 

I would honestly take 2 seasons of being in league one, if it meant that we used that time to properly build up behind the scenes and get a structure in place that will carry us forward properly. What i dont want to happen is that DC chucks money at it, we sign a load of mercanaries for a season to get up back up and then we dont have any plan or foundation in place for when we do get there. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Just more evidence of our owner doing things his way and not listening to those with more knowledge. I remember Carlos saying the owner wouldn't sell players because they were 'family'. The result of DC' s 'left side dealing', is that we have been left in the lurch. 

Yes and the "family" are now flying the nest while the family home is being used as collateral!

20 hours ago, Django said:

I’ve been going for 28 years and the amount of players we’ve sold for substantial amounts can’t even be double figures

Off the top of my head

warhurst £3m

Thome £3m

Alexanderson £2.5m

Bougherra £3m

Brunt £3m

Joao £3m 

Grant £2m

Struggling here 

Big list here, https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sheffield-wednesday/alletransfers/verein/1035

Unbelievable the amount of coin we've overspent and failed to recoup in player sales .. absolute ridiculous

2 hours ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Big list here, https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sheffield-wednesday/alletransfers/verein/1035

Unbelievable the amount of coin we've overspent and failed to recoup in player sales .. absolute ridiculous

Nothing unbelievable about it. It is our "modus operandi", or at least it had been since Chansiri took over.

Most of players we brought in was while they were at their peak, most expensive that they ever were and with a little room to improve. All while we were probably aware that only way we can get our many back and stay within FPP is if we get promoted.

Not many of our signings were made with view to making a profit and balancing books.

We gambled, it backfired and cost us a lot. Hope that now those in charge understand that we shouldn't use same recruitment plan to get back to The Championship.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 83owl said:

I read this statement all the time in a lot of different threads and it’s absolute rubbish.
Football is a team game, if selling a top player helps you finance purchases to make you a better team then that’s all that matters. 

Of course it’s a team game, I never said it wasn’t. But surely the aim of any team is to constantly improve by getting better players for each position? 

As we’ve seen, we have been replacing players with poor players, and the team results have got worse. 

The 90s Wednesday team was dismantled and every player, position by position, got worse. Apart from Carbone and Di Canio; and eventually Di Canio on his own. 

Basically Di Canio kept the team in the league; we gave him to West Ham, replaced him with ?(De Bilde ?), and got relegated. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Rogers said:

Of course it’s a team game, I never said it wasn’t. But surely the aim of any team is to constantly improve by getting better players for each position? 

As we’ve seen, we have been replacing players with poor players, and the team results have got worse. 

The 90s Wednesday team was dismantled and every player, position by position, got worse. Apart from Carbone and Di Canio; and eventually Di Canio on his own. 

Basically Di Canio kept the team in the league; we gave him to West Ham, replaced him with ?(De Bilde ?), and got relegated. 

And how do you think we pay for these better players for each position? Magic beans? Kind words? 

Staggers me that some of our fans despite our current position and the state of the club over the last few years still can’t get it into their thick heads that stockpiling players and constantly resigning worthless players on huge contracts is not a sustainable way to run a football club.

• Love 1

16 minutes ago, 83owl said:

And how do you think we pay for these better players for each position? Magic beans? Kind words? 

Staggers me that some of our fans despite our current position and the state of the club over the last few years still can’t get it into their thick heads that stockpiling players and constantly resigning worthless players on huge contracts is not a sustainable way to run a football club.

I generally said, surely it’s the aim of any club to improve each position. Isn’t that true? 

If you read my posts on the site over the years, you’ll know full well I understand the issues relating to SWFC. 

Who mentioned stockpiling players, you replace one for another. 

How does good scouting and free transfers sound to you. And an attractive environment to work, one where you get paid. 

The best players we’ve had recently came from Oldham for next to nothing or free transfers.  Wallace, Hutch, Westwood, Loovens, Lee, Lees, how much did we pay for all of those?  Did they improve the team and positions? 

Before wages get mentioned, I doubt they were on that much relatively speaking when they first arrived. 

It’s the FF’s, Abdi’s, and stupid loans of the club that were a waste of £

On 18/05/2021 at 18:34, malek said:

Nothing unbelievable about it. It is our "modus operandi", or at least it had been since Chansiri took over.

Most of players we brought in was while they were at their peak, most expensive that they ever were and with a little room to improve. All while we were probably aware that only way we can get our many back and stay within FPP is if we get promoted.

Not many of our signings were made with view to making a profit and balancing books.

We gambled, it backfired and cost us a lot. Hope that now those in charge understand that we shouldn't use same recruitment plan to get back to The Championship.

its still unbelievable .. to think we've sunk in nearly £40m and recouped £8m

Not to mention the amount spent on players we've recouped ZERO pence for ... £34m ... THIRTY FOUR  ******** MILLION ...........

• Like 1

Guest Hornsby
22 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Why what?

Why not trade?

Not letting Fessi get dream Epl move and wages help kill that team.

You have to pay a lot for players now, it's the so called ffp which chokes off clubs who have not recently been in the premiership and grown their turn over. Our problem is we wasted money on players we didn't need and not buying players in the right positions.

It has been the way that we pay out fairly big on half a squad but never enough to be successful and get money for that! Instead we have the weakness of the other half causing to jus mean we loose money. Chansiri DID keep spending BUT he instead of buying the other half of the squad we needed after Wembley, he played out a load buying players in the same positions we didn't need to. Also then bought expensive crap too.

• Like 1

On 20/05/2021 at 16:19, Hornsby said:

Why not trade?

Not letting Fessi get dream Epl move and wages help kill that team.

Oh yeah absolutely. This whole "we're a family" nonsense has killed us.

We've had real potential to generate some serious cash for the club, Offers for Reach, Bannan, Forestieri etc and all turned down.

Clubs need to refresh and then respend wisely. Unfortunately we haven't done anything apart from spend willy nilly, fail to recoup and reap what we've sowed

• Love 1

I blame the fans we've been telling him we don't know how and don't care how when the song should have been.......

We're on our way

We're on our way

To the premier league we're on our way

How do we get there? - A sustainable plan

How do we get there? - Prudent transfer strategy 

All I know is Wednesday's on our way

• Haha 1