Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

To me this just seems like a publicity stunt to put pressure on the champions league reforms  which they want tomorrow. Mainly that the historical big teams that don’t qualify for the champions league get automatic entrance. That’s just my opinion. The rich just push and push till they get there own way . I say sod them kick them out of the Premier league . Man City and Chelsea were nothing 10/15 years ago . Also there’s plenty of teams that used to challenge for the titles in the English league I’m sure they’d relish the chance to do so again. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

For the overall game I agree it could be somewhat liberating but what about the true fans of the "big 6" clubs? I dare say the Man City fans that watch their team week in week out do not want this. Of course they would like to see their team win the Champions League but plenty of their fans have lukewarm feelings towards that competition as a whole at best, never mind running away to this new league.

The City fans that watched their team play at Hillsborough last season would probably much rather travel to Turf Moor for a league game than watch their team on the TV playing Atletico Madrid backed by thousands of corporate hangers on waving plastic flags in the stadium. 

What about the true fans of so many clubs who have suffered so greatly due to the big 6 and their accumulation of wealth and resources?

Football in this country is totally geared to making money - and for that the biggest clubs have been shamefully facilitated

I have way more sympathy for the fans of clubs like Macclesfield than i ever will for Man C fans if they decide to go a euro league

First world problems and all that

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DobbinTheDonkey said:

Were the Premier League 'B' teams, playing in the EFL, a way for the English European Super Greed teams a way to stay in the English pyramid system?

Interesting point, that said would b teams create enough extra revenue to bridge that gap, because it's cold hard cash we talking.

I think this is more of an individual rights issue and the champions League spot thing, both bigger earners.

1 minute ago, Avon barksdale said:

To me this just seems like a publicity stunt to put pressure on the champions league reforms  which they want tomorrow. 

This is exactly what it is. I expect their imminent statement will pull back, explain it away as nothing more than "exploratory" etc, etc. 

4 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

From a Man City fans site earlier when asked about the question of a break away super league.

First 3 responses.

city.png

I'm good mates with a City fan who says he'd pack it in if they broke away.

Though in fairness, these reactions are all a bit heat of the moment, let's see how many of them stick by it once the glitzy promos are airing on TV for Man City v Barcelona, "The Dawn of the Super Teams" or whatever rubbish tagline they come up with.

3 minutes ago, Morepork said:

This is exactly what it is. I expect their imminent statement will pull back, explain it away as nothing more than "exploratory" etc, etc. 

Who will pull back? Who says it was exploratory?

Who is putting pressure on UEFA? JP Morgan who are allegedly going to finance the deal?

Who are the individuals/groups you speak of?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56794673

Uefa said it thanked "those clubs in other countries, especially the French and German clubs, who have refused to sign up" to the breakaway league.

"We call on all lovers of football, supporters and politicians, to join us in fighting against such a project if it were to be announced," they added.

HMMMMM 

Seems like UEFA are panicking. Wonder what their standpoint is from a legal / contractual side... possibly not good ?

5 minutes ago, Morepork said:

I agree . AC Milan are very instrumental in the new reforms , they want guaranteed qualification because they’ve won it a few times . They’ve managed to bend the other teams ears with the it could happen to you theory . Pathetic , kick them out 

It's an absolute disgrace. However I still don't know why people aren't seeing the long game. A "super league" with 1 relegation spot that will be challenged in a super play off that will be decided between the bottom club of the super league and the winner of a yearly maybe bi annual competition with the winners of each domestic league. Like the champions league on steroids. Who votes it through, the greedy chairman of each of the clubs within the Premier league and respective top divisions. Even gives bayern an out as its just an extra division not a breakaway. 

2 minutes ago, Avon barksdale said:

I agree . AC Milan are very instrumental in the new reforms , they want guaranteed qualification because they’ve won it a few times . They’ve managed to bend the other teams ears with the it could happen to you theory . Pathetic , kick them out 

Cos AC MILAN have been absolute poo at the top level since 2006 and are an insignifance now. When was the last time they were in the CL, let alone challenging for their title

People need to realise that the clubs really don't f*cking care - no matter what they may say in platitudes

They are interested in oney in their coffers and if there is more to be rinsed in worldwide markets with a euro league than they can get in a national leaguie then they're off

They'll still fill their stadium - no danger

Remember whan many thought it as a waste of time Arsenal building a 60k capacity cos they'd never fill it (tey often couldn't fill the hallf sized Highbury)

It's Field of Dreams personified

And none of those 6 will struggle to get fans through the turnstyles if they defect

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fudge27 said:

Cos AC MILAN have been absolute poo at the top level since 2006 and are an insignifance now. When was the last time they were in the CL, let alone challenging for their title

It's a trend with that club isn't it, remember it was Berlusconi who set the ball rolling to turn the European Cup into the Champions League by kicking up a stink about Napoli and Real Madrid being drawn against each other in the first round. Couldn't possibly have that, so let's have a group stage and then have non-champion teams in there.

1 minute ago, scram said:

People need to realise that the clubs really don't f*cking care - no matter what they may say in platitudes

They are interested in oney in their coffers and if there is more to be rinsed in worldwide markets with a euro league than they can get in a national leaguie then they're off

They'll still fill their stadium - no danger

Remember whan many thought it as a waste of time Arsenal building a 60k capacity cos they'd never fill it (tey often couldn't fill the hallf sized Highbury)

It's Field of Dreams personified

And none of those 6 will struggle to get fans through the turnstyles if they defect

Not sure, they might have underestimated the fans feelings on this one.  The ramifications will run very deep and football fans are very loyal to the sport in general. Think this could spark mass boycotts of the competition.

1 minute ago, ANDY said:

They’re a bit late with their 9:30pm statement. 

cold feet ?? 

Legal wording?

IF, JP Morgan are involved, they will have no fear of UEFA/FIFA, but will be careful on legal wording.

I don't know whether this is going to happen or not, I hope it doesn't, but let's be honest, UEFA/FIFA have not exactly been squeaky clean have they? Think Platini and Blatter.

Sky and BT are only concerned about their revenues. It's all money orientated football, sadly.

3 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Not sure, they might have underestimated the fans feelings on this one.  The ramifications will run very deep and football fans are very loyal to the sport in general. Think this could spark mass boycotts of the competition.

Actual football fans. Not the people around the world who actually pay for the sport these days

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

Completely disagree

Where did 30k Arsenal fans appear from - at prices most thought would never be acceptble?

Football evolves - look where it was 30 years ago

Morals have gone

If you don't want your ticket, well there's a queue of people begging for it....

They might say now they want to watch their team vs Burnley - but most aren't gonna boycott seeing them week in/out against Bayern/Real/Juve etc - they just won't

• Like 2