Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

Couple of things come to mind: 

~ These big clubs all have so much money each that it’s going to get harder to buy and sell players from each other. Like Real trying to get Mbappe from PSG... maybe they’d want a ‘trade’ style option involved - so two or more clubs can sell shirts off the back of prime star players. 

~ Maybe the new league would have their own TV channel / app (and rights obviously) = all the money going in one place

~ Maybe they’d want unlimited spending (I know it doesn’t seem like it isn’t already) 

~ With all the money currently in football, would it be possible that (for example) Everton, Leicester, West Ham and Wolves become the annoyingly strong top 4 over the next 10 years and the problem just starts again. 

..... and on a less serious note, it appears that the Man U vs Liverpool rivalry / hatred (as fans see it) is now allegedly two clubs in cahoots at board level for the purpose of £££... bet the average fan is loving that, amongst other things. 

(and all the other boards allegedly in cahoots too)

2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

BT and Sky are absolutely RAGING about this

I guess they have heard the clubs are not planning to involve them? lol 

Well they are signed up to long-term PL contracts aren't they? I guess subscriptions for new sports packages will decrease and the number of people wanting to cancel will increase if they lose the 'big 6'. 

3 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

Notice alot of kids in Man city kits these days.

Unsurprisingly.

It was ever thus.

I'm almost 62 now and even when I was at school we had Sheffield kids who supported Manure, Arsenal, Leeds etc. purely because at that time those teams were winning things and kids like to be on the winning side.

I've always been a bit of a contrarian which must explain my love for Wednesday! lol

Edited by Utah Owl
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

Yeah it's good fun, only thing I wanted to do was watch a game after lockdown, that's what kept me going.

Hope your son's having fun and back enjoying it.

The Sheffield leagues have been cancelled and they have put on some smaller league/round robin games for the clubs that are still interested in playing at the moment.

His team have played 2 games in this competition in which there has been 2 red cards and 2 yellow cards. Got a feeling the local FA are trying to raise money! 

This is the destination to which football was headed since the advent of the PL

It has followed the money at the cost of integrity every step of the way

As somebody who has been on the inside - well, it's just insane and immoral

They have followed a disaster capitalist route and so many that have engendered that are now crying about it

Well f*ck right off you c*nts - you never cared about the game - you cared about personal enrichment and f*ck everything else - that stands true for clubs and players - and lets be honest here - fans too

Players are leeching off the game - but only because the clubs let them - agents are leeching off the game but only because clubs let them

There never was this "collective spirit" - or the so-called "football village" where everybody had each others backs

Soem clubs have gone to the wall to what amouints to a couple of weeks wages for a premier league player

Best thing ever if a few clubs defect from our league and the money that will follow

Football needs a reset - it's an absolute must

It's a fantasy world where clubs are living so far beyond their means they're like Imelda Marcos on uppers

It'll be the best thing to happen to our game since the abolition of the backpass rule and introduction of 3 points for a win

It could even save the game as we know it

Edited by scram
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The Sheffield leagues have been cancelled and they have put on some smaller league/round robin games for the clubs that are still interested in playing at the moment.

His team have played 2 games in this competition in which there has been 2 red cards and 2 yellow cards. Got a feeling the local FA are trying to raise money! 

Yeah heard about that at the older groups massive shame they couldn't get all the league games in. Main thing he's got some games to play, hope he wins the cup!

I'm at a younger age we are just finishing off the league in Sheffield (2 games left now) I'll be sad when Sunday ends, been a fun season covid excluded, North Derbyshire on a Saturday are playing through to end of June. So should keep me interested until summer and the Euros.

Edited by Maddogbob

41 minutes ago, Kameron said:

The premier league are total hypocrites, they shafted the then football league, this is no different but on a bigger scale.  It’s been coming and sooner or later will happen due to the owners of the big 6, the only concern for them is making money.

Not really. Still promotion and relegation, not nfl style franchises. Which is obviously what the compromise is going to be. I can't believe people can't see it

4 minutes ago, scram said:

They have followed a disaster capitalist route and so many that have engendered that are now crying about it

Well f*ck right off you c*nts - you never cared about the game - you cared about personal enrichment and f*ck everything else - that stands true for clubs and players - and lets be honest here - fans too

Players are leeching off the game - but only because the clubs let them - agents are leeching off the game but only because clubs let them

There never was this "collective spirit" - or the so-called "football village" where everybody had each others backs

Soem clubs have gone to the wall to what amouints to a couple of weeks wages for a premier league player

Best thing ever if a few clubs defect from our league and the money that will follow

It's a fantasy world where clubs are living so far beyond their means they're like Imelda Marcos on uppers

It'll be the best thing to happen to our game since the abolition of the backpass rule and introduction of 3 points for a win

Chill out! 

Wrong section, no politics in this thread.

In other news.

https://news.sky.com/story/european-super-league-plans-would-be-very-damaging-for-football-says-boris-johnson-12279818

• Like 1

Just now, TheGaffer said:

Not really. Still promotion and relegation, not nfl style franchises. Which is obviously what the compromise is going to be. I can't believe people can't see it

By compromise I mean that there will be a European style top league. With playoffs / mini euros to qualify. 

This will potentially drag on for a while. Make us all feel sick along the way. 

The PL won’t just let the big clubs walk away - the new EuroLeagueDudes won’t let it drop either - football through the courts etc, player agents piping up etc... it could get tedious 

8 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Couple of things come to mind: 

~ These big clubs all have so much money each that it’s going to get harder to buy and sell players from each other. Like Real trying to get Mbappe from PSG... maybe they’d want a ‘trade’ style option involved - so two or more clubs can sell shirts off the back of prime star players. 

~ Maybe the new league would have their own TV channel / app (and rights obviously) = all the money going in one place

~ Maybe they’d want unlimited spending (I know it doesn’t seem like it isn’t already) 

The template is the way the NFL functions, and some of the things you reference tie into that. More centralised and “guaranteed” resources and control at league level, trade systems essentially replacing transfer fees as teams deal between themselves based on their own needs at any given time, with whatever’s left of the traditional game becoming a feeder system (ala collegiate level sports in the US).

I’m an NFL fan and the way their league works is fantastic. At the risk of being controversial, I actually think the top level of our game could be improved by following such a model compared to what we have now; European leagues dominated by handfuls of clubs and a stale CL. If you still like and get excited by Bayern vs PSG or Liverpool vs Madrid, I think an NFL style Super League could actually be an improvement. 

All that said, chasing to apply an NFL style closed shop system to 100+ years of history across our leagues is repulsive. A warped result of the modern games disease that’s been left to fester for the last couple of decades. To be honest, I’m equally as annoyed with fans who are suddenly up in arms about all this - having chosen not to listen to repeated obvious warnings and scoffing at anyone daring to differ - than the clubs themselves. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, scram said:

For the overall game I agree it could be somewhat liberating but what about the true fans of the "big 6" clubs? I dare say the Man City fans that watch their team week in week out do not want this. Of course they would like to see their team win the Champions League but plenty of their fans have lukewarm feelings towards that competition as a whole at best, never mind running away to this new league.

The City fans that watched their team play at Hillsborough last season would probably much rather travel to Turf Moor for a league game than watch their team on the TV playing Atletico Madrid backed by thousands of corporate hangers on waving plastic flags in the stadium.