We paid a million to shift Carlton Palmer ffks

On 07/04/2021 at 08:34, Lord Snooty said:

We weren't quite at Lidl though. He still was able to splash cash on Nolan, Petrescu, Ingesson for the best part of £4m. 

Pearce and Atherton were just shy of a million pounds a piece. Not inconsiderable amounts - at that time , indeed not far off what we paid for the likes of Waddle and Woods.

I just don't think it's true to say the money had dried up. 

Indeed the year after Francis' departure we spent nearly seven million pounds on the two Serbian chaps and the wonderful, but sadly short lived Degryse.

I really rated Degryse. Shame the chairman's wife didn't like him. 

• Like 2

On 08/04/2021 at 07:59, Bluewings said:

Nolan was by far better than Phil King.... Worthington nope but he was 33 and even tho he carried on playing well at Leeds

he did want replacing. 

Klas Ingerson played at two world cups for a very good Sweden team? Lets be honest Petrescu alone proved to be worth £4m of that money.

lol     lol

You MUST be joking.

• Like 2

On 07/04/2021 at 08:33, @owlstalk said:

The thing about Francis was that apart from ruining our club, he couldn't actually 'manage' players

Never seen football like Francis team produced at Hillsborough and doubt I ever will again. If that's without the ability to manage just imagine how good we could have been if he got it right.....Could have beaten Blackburn by 10 in the best performance I have ever seen this club produce.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Never seen football like Francis team produced at Hillsborough and doubt I ever will again. If that's without the ability to manage just imagine how good we could have been if he got it right.....Could have beaten Blackburn by 10 in the best performance I have ever seen this club produce.

I meant Blackburn game not Chelsea 🤦‍♂️ Glad Francis isn’t manager now though I couldn’t afford to go to Wembley 3 times a season and imagine trying to park at matches supporting a consistent top 10 Prem team 

• Haha 3

Pretty sure Big Ron took us down with his amazing team too ! Francis has same win ratio over double the games and all in the Prem 🤷‍♂️Big Ron took us down after a terrible start and lucky for him most of the players stayed and even then we only came third in Division 2 ! Good job three went up automatically that year. Then he left us when he said he was staying 

19 minutes ago, Elvin Parsnip said:

I meant Blackburn game not Chelsea 🤦‍♂️ Glad Francis isn’t manager now though I couldn’t afford to go to Wembley 3 times a season and imagine trying to park at matches supporting a consistent top 10 Prem team 

Yeah I know and just imagine having to fork out for European trips. Glad he's in the past and he was such a bad manager that we came 3rd in the top flight. Enjoy much more beating Morecambe and Cheltenham rather than Man Utd and Chelsea. Plus how would super tram cope match days. Dark days under tricky Trev.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Yeah I know and just imagine having to fork out for European trips. Glad he's in the past and he was such a bad manager that we came 3rd in the top flight. Enjoy much more beating Morecambe and Cheltenham rather than Man Utd and Chelsea. Plus how would super tram cope match days. Dark days under tricky Trev.

And he had the cheek to make 40 odd appearances and score 6 goals in our Division 2 promotion season then had the stupid idea of buying Waddle and Bright. Then that Walker fella 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

29 minutes ago, Elvin Parsnip said:

Pretty sure Big Ron took us down with his amazing team too ! Francis has same win ratio over double the games and all in the Prem 🤷‍♂️Big Ron took us down after a terrible start and lucky for him most of the players stayed and even then we only came third in Division 2 ! Good job three went up automatically that year. Then he left us when he said he was staying 

Big Ron re-built the team after years of under investment in the team which lead lo Wilkinson resigning and going to L**ds.

He signed:

Nilsson 350k

Harkes 0.75k

Shirtliff 500k

King 450k

Wilson 200k

Palmer 750k

Sheridan 500k

Atkinson 450k

Wiliams 700k

Francis Free

Anderson Free.

Atkinson got us to a cup final and won it.  Our only trophy since 1935.

Francis inherited a cup winning side.  Not only should he have got us to cup finals he really should have won one or two.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, York_Owl said:

Big Ron re-built the team after years of under investment in the team which lead lo Wilkinson resigning and going to L**ds.

He signed:

Nilsson 350k

Harkes 0.75k

Shirtliff 500k

King 450k

Wilson 200k

Palmer 750k

Sheridan 500k

Atkinson 450k

Wiliams 700k

Francis Free

Anderson Free.

Francis inherited a cup winning side.  Not only should he have got us to cup finals he really should have won one or two.

Like I said that side finished 3rd in division 2 

Francis side that got to two cup finals and finished 3rd in the Prem was not the side he inherited at all. It was his side that he improved dramatically. 

Had we played Ian Taylor in his correct position, we would have had a fabulous player there. Arguably, he would have become a better player than Carlton Palmer

One of the best players not to get an England cap, which was very harsh. Understand Paul Ince being ahead of him but he was as good as David Batty who was another regular at the time (in my opinion)

Why Trevor Francis thought he was a right winger, I do not know. Completely wasted a talented footballer there. 

On 07/04/2021 at 03:53, Rogers said:

At least he tried to replace the great team with other great players, Waddle, Walker, etc.  Not like Pleat

Francis replaced:-

Nilsson with Atherton

Pearson with Pearce

Worthington with Nolan

Palmer with Taylor

Bright with Whittingham

etc etc

He attracted the names of Woods, Waddle & Walker - but when he had to exercise judgment - it was terrible.

Sinton!!!!!

Edited by JemmoJemoJemmo

9 minutes ago, katie melua said:

Had we played Ian Taylor in his correct position, we would have had a fabulous player there. Arguably, he would have become a better player than Carlton Palmer

One of the best players not to get an England cap, which was very harsh. Understand Paul Ince being ahead of him but he was as good as David Batty who was another regular at the time (in my opinion)

Why Trevor Francis thought he was a right winger, I do not know. Completely wasted a talented footballer there. 

Taylor was a totally different player to Batty and of nowhere near the same quality.

Taylor was a goalscoring box to box player.

Edited by JemmoJemoJemmo

14 minutes ago, Elvin Parsnip said:

Like I said that side finished 3rd in division 2 

Francis side that got to two cup finals and finished 3rd in the Prem was not the side he inherited at all. It was his side that he improved dramatically. 

Finished third in div 2 mainly because of the distraction of winning a trophy!

The side that finished third in Div One was very much Atkinson’s side.

Francis added Woods (not sure if he greatly improved the team and we didn’t really need a keeper).

Warhurst at centre back. I thought Pearson and Shirtliff was a better combination.

Jemson up front and even TF reverted back to playing Williams as Jemson wasn’t any better.

And Bart Williams who was more of a squad player and hat season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, York_Owl said:

He signed:

Nilsson 350k

Harkes 0.75k

Shirtliff 500k

King 450k

Wilson 200k

Palmer 750k

Sheridan 500k

Atkinson 450k

Wiliams 700k

Francis Free

Anderson Free.

Every single one of those signings was a success.

Genius of a man.

• Thanks 1