We paid a million to shift Carlton Palmer ffks

15 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

Finished third in div 2 mainly because of the distraction of winning a trophy!

The side that finished third in Div One was very much Atkinson’s side.

Francis added Woods (not sure if he greatly improved the team and we didn’t really need a keeper).

Warhurst at centre back. I thought Pearson and Shirtliff was a better combination.

Jemson up front and even TF reverted back to playing Williams as Jemson wasn’t any better.

And Bart Williams who was more of a squad player and hat season.

What about the season after ? Bright , Waddle etc plus tge distraction  of getting to two cup finals ? 

1 minute ago, Elvin Parsnip said:

What about the season after ? Bright , Waddle etc plus tge distraction  of getting to two cup finals ? 

Yep finally two players that actually improved the team along with playing Warhurst up front. If only he’d have signed them a season earlier!

But still essentially the team that Ron built.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Elvin Parsnip said:

Roland , Pearson, Sheridan, Hirst played for 3 or more years under him. So he didn’t. Replaced Shirtliff with Warhurst , Williams with Bright , Anderson with Walker and signed  Waddle 🤷‍♂️

Exactly, when he had to replace them his judgment was awful!

He brought names in Woods, Walker & Waddle -.but in general, his judgment was terrible!

He gradually weakened the squad every season after our 3rd finish

• Love 1

I started to watch the video and will put an hour aside to watch it. Read the first couple of posts which are probably a lot more accurate than my memory,

Tricky got us 3rd in Prem plus to 2 finals.

Know there is another thread re Wilson, not looked at it but isn't he the one that let dicanio go.

2 minutes ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

Exactly, when he had to replace them his judgment was awful!

He brought names in Woods, Walker & Waddle -.but in general, his judgment was terrible!

He gradually weakened the squad every season after our 3rd finish

After our third finish we got to two cup finals -  I give up Rins team would have won everything 

On 07/04/2021 at 08:47, Bluewings said:

Idk managed to get us to a few cup finals, 3rd finish in the top flight?  Must have said something right to the players.

I still have a strong and bitter hatred for Francis 30 years after he destroyed our brilliant team

He was a very terrible manager of the players

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, DSandersonOWL said:

I still have a strong and bitter hatred for Francis 30 years after he destroyed our brilliant team

He was a very terrible manager of the players

Rubbish, he brought in Dan Petrescu who shouldnt have been sold 

brought in Ian Taylor who was a perfect replacement for Palmer and also should haven’t had been sold 

and takes full credit for everything Warhurst achieved 

I have fond memories of Francis 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think if Big Ron had of stayed we wouldn't have come as high as 3rd in 91/92, maybe not even as high as 7th (what Francis did in the two seasons after) but we would have probably won another cup.

Big Ron signed some splendid players and was a great Cup manager (won cups with Man U, Villa and us) but very inconsistent in the league. We could play like a dream or be very average. Just the guy you want for an FA Cup final, but not for a league game against a mid-table side.

Aside from the 4th Division with Cambridge he never won a league title in his whole career and he managed some big clubs with great players.

Francis got us playing more consistently. I don't think Big Ron would have had us 3rd in Division One - I mean we finished behind Oldham and West Ham in Division Two even with all those great players. But when it clicked, we played some teams off the park and our season highlights video would be much better than theirs.

Big Ron would have found a way to win one of those cup finals against Arsenal (although credit Francis for getting us there, we only lost by a small margin).

45 minutes ago, Owlabroad2001 said:

What was this? Never heard this before 

My mum used to taxi a lot of Wednesday players and the chairman at the time. She drove Dave Richards and his wife and she didn't like him. Don't know how much influence they had but I thought it was strange to let him go. He was a very intelligent player. Had a good season if my memory serves me right. 

6 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

I think if Big Ron had of stayed we wouldn't have come as high as 3rd in 91/92, maybe not even as high as 7th (what Francis did in the two seasons after) but we would have probably won another cup.

Big Ron signed some splendid players and was a great Cup manager (won cups with Man U, Villa and us) but very inconsistent in the league. We could play like a dream or be very average. Just the guy you want for an FA Cup final, but not for a league game against a mid-table side.

Aside from the 4th Division with Cambridge he never won a league title in his whole career and he managed some big clubs with great players.

Francis got us playing more consistently. I don't think Big Ron would have had us 3rd in Division One - I mean we finished behind Oldham and West Ham in Division Two even with all those great players. But when it clicked, we played some teams off the park and our season highlights video would be much better than theirs.

Big Ron would have found a way to win one of those cup finals against Arsenal (although credit Francis for getting us there, we only lost by a small margin).

He finished runner up with villa in only his second season after a complete rebuild in his first season.

I don’t think the 91-92 team under Francis was actually any better than the 90-91 team under Ron despite Francis spending 3 million on Woods, Warhurst and Jemson.