We paid a million to shift Carlton Palmer ffks

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

The thing about Francis was that apart from ruining our club, he couldn't actually 'manage' players

The ones he managed to Wembley and finishing 3rd twice? Yeah, cos we've really improved since he was sacked 27 years ago

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

The ones he managed to Wembley and finishing 3rd twice? Yeah, cos we've really improved since he was sacked 27 years ago

My gran could have got us to wembley with that squad - simply by washing her knickers in the bath whilst the players got on with it

The second Francis had to actually manage people/players instead of just allowing them to crack on with it was when we saw his abilities as a manager

e.g. he had none

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

My gran could have got us to wembley with that squad - simply by washing her knickers in the bath whilst the players got on with it

The second Francis had to actually manage people/players instead of just allowing them to crack on with it was when we saw his abilities as a manager

e.g. he had none

Interesting comment as it's not what you have said about him before. In fact you actually agreed with me!

Pic.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Wall said:

Sorry, Ian Nolan was rubbish.

Klas Ingerson, top class? Do me a favour

Not sure Nolan was rubbish but he certainly wasn't an adequate replacement for Worthington. Ingesson was very poor for us by splashing £1m on him, TF had blown the last of that seasons transfer budget which meant that he wasn't able to buy Kennert Andersson for a similar amount who was absolute top quality. 

Petrescu was a good player but wasn't really a full back and much more suited to being a wing back although he actually became a regular for Chelsea at right midfield. Generally, after the first 2 summers, TF's signings were poor and nowhere near good enough to replace what was becoming an ageing squad

Just now, Bulldog said:

Interesting comment as it's not what you have said about him before. In fact you actually agreed with me!

Pic.jpg

You literally just proved my point

lol

I was making the point that anyone can sign players - Francis did that

I then made the point that actualy managing players is a totally different thing - Francis did NOT do that

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You literally just proved my point

lol

I was making the point that anyone can sign players - Francis did that

I then made the point that actualy managing players is a totally different thing - Francis did NOT do that

I don't think I've proved anything as you agreed with my original statement. 

I still maintain that Francis did a brilliant job and achieved things that you and I will never see again in our lifetime. 

We'll just agree to disagree.

• Like 2

It pains me to agree with Hargreaves, not least since the fiasco with my Furlough and reduced contract. And that's before we even get to the curry sauce on fish. 

But in regard the management of this period I agree totally. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Trevor Francis was sacked over quarter of a century ago now and we still seem to get a thread every week discussing if  he was a good manager or a crap one, truth was he was somewhere in-between. Did some good things and then things went flat and his man magement skills let him down and deserved to be moved on.

The early 90s side was a fantastic side but the average was very high with most players in they 30s and late 20s so by the time of the mid 90s most would have had to be replaced. Sadly the players brought in were not as good.

But can Cantona play on grass? That's all I want to know.

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

He ripped the heart out of Big Ron's team
Replaced the players who left with players who were considerably worse
Lost the dressing room
And got sacked

lol

He got sacked cos of richards...he had the casting vote.

Not one player wanted him out,..not one..

Finished mid table..trying to build a new team after richards lost interest and was setting himself up with the fa....hence richards wouldn't 'take a chance' with cantona's 'demands' earlier...nothing absolutely nothing to do with playing on grass btw.

The club at the time had a clause in wages...any international will get bonus payments...at the end, every foookin 1st team player at the club had bonus payments....thanks to francis..

• Like 5

14 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Lost the dressing room
And got sacked

lol

I stand by my opinion

• Like 1

15 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Lost the dressing room
And got sacked

lol

Ripped apart hahaha

Atkinson bailed on us. The football was at times as good under Francis at a higher level.

Walker, Waddle, Bright.... that's just three class players all better than what we had.

Just about every manager eventually loses the dressing room at the end....

Took us to Wembley four times, UEFA cup, consistant top half top flight finishes.

I'm not saying Francis is the best manager we ever had but he's far from the start of Wednesdays demise

He was there when we was at our best.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, The Wall said:

Sorry, Ian Nolan was rubbish.

Klas Ingerson, top class? Do me a favour

Nolan was by far better than Phil King.... Worthington nope but he was 33 and even tho he carried on playing well at Leeds

he did want replacing. 

Klas Ingerson played at two world cups for a very good Sweden team? Lets be honest Petrescu alone proved to be worth £4m of that money.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

He got sacked cos of richards...he had the casting vote.

Not one player wanted him out,..not one..

Finished mid table..trying to build a new team after richards lost interest and was setting himself up with the fa....hence richards wouldn't 'take a chance' with cantona's 'demands' earlier...nothing absolutely nothing to do with playing on grass btw.

The club at the time had a clause in wages...any international will get bonus payments...at the end, every foookin 1st team player at the club had bonus payments....thanks to francis..

Be careful, we don't do facts on here lol

• Like 1

On 07/04/2021 at 15:58, @owlstalk said:

Lost the dressing room
And got sacked

lol

It amazes me when I hear someone has "Lost the dressing room"?.

It's a bloody great room with a Door, how can you lose it/.

Pure negligence if you ask me.

On 07/04/2021 at 07:18, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Without denigrating Palmer, I really rated Ian Taylor - He had a terrific eye for goals arriving in the box late - had a successful time in a Villa side that was better than us. 

The problem with Taylor was that Trev played him out wide. 

• Like 1