We paid a million to shift Carlton Palmer ffks

14 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Of anything I think it shows the quality of the side Ron put together and the fact they were more able to cope with playing the bigger teams (Man Utd, Liverpool etc tal) than the sides that Oldham and West Ham had put together. 

The League Cup final run to Wembley I think put paid to our hopes of winning the division 2 title. 

I always remember the Leicester game at Hillsborugh after we won the cup. The lads looks mentally and physically exhausted.

That was probably cos of the ale. 

In the 3 seasons that Ron Atkinson finished the season with us, our highest placed finish was 16th in the premiership.

Francis finished 3, 7, 7 and 13th and 2 cup finals and out first jaunt into Europe for many a season

Wilko won the title with Leeds than finished 17th the years after.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, matt68owls said:

In the 3 seasons that Ron Atkinson finished the season with us, our highest placed finish was 16th in the premiership.

Francis finished 3, 7, 7 and 13th and 2 cup finals and out first jaunt into Europe for many a season

I'm sure we finished 7th under David Pleat but a lot of fans turned on him after a few bad results.  I think David Pleat was a better manager for having players like Di Canio and Cabone, they never seemed happy playing for Danny Wilson. 

Great to see Danny at the game today by the way, given a nice round of applause by our supporters when he came on to do the 50/50 draw at half time. 

7 hours ago, matt68owls said:

There’s no context to these stats tho.

Big Ron took over a poor side half way thru the 88-89 season and somehow managed to keep us up.  This was after years of minimal investment in the team under Wilkinson and a disastrous spell under Eustace.

Francis inherited Atkinson’s cup winning team which had taken 2.5 seasons to build.

The circumstances couldn’t have been more different.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bradowl said:

I'm sure we finished 7th under David Pleat but a lot of fans turned on him after a few bad results.  I think David Pleat was a better manager for having players like Di Canio and Cabone, they never seemed happy playing for Danny Wilson. 

Great to see Danny at the game today by the way, given a nice round of applause by our supporters when he came on to do the 50/50 draw at half time. 

I couldn’t clap him after his managerial spell.

On 23/09/2022 at 09:51, Nero said:

My mate thought Ingerson used to look like Martin Clunes.

Called him 'Man Perfoming Badly' all the time.  

Magnificent. Ingesson looked good when we played him at centre-half once, so obviously we didn't bother doing that again. He also loved a knock-and-run despite being slower than every other professional footballer.

On 07/04/2021 at 06:31, Neal M said:

I think you are focusing on a couple of Francis’ admittedly great signings and ignoring the majority of his average/mediocre/dross signings.

Peter Atherton was no Nilsson.

Andy Pearce was no Pearson.

Ian Taylor was no Palmer.

Genuinely though Taylor was a class player 

On 25/09/2022 at 02:50, sexpistol said:

Nolan wasn’t rubbish at all. He wasn’t a world beater but certainly not crap.

I think at the time most of us thought he was average at best. But looking back with hidsight, he was a solid enough Premier League full back who made a decent career for himself.

But we had been spoiled for many years, at the time.

• Like 1