We paid a million to shift Carlton Palmer ffks

2 hours ago, Marc Degryse said:

Listening to this infuriated me. Trevor Francis signed good players but ruined a great team.

At least he tried to replace the great team with other great players, Waddle, Walker, etc.  Not like Pleat

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neal M said:

I think you are focusing on a couple of Francis’ admittedly great signings and ignoring the majority of his average/mediocre/dross signings.

Peter Atherton was no Nilsson.

Andy Pearce was no Pearson.

Ian Taylor was no Palmer.

This is true but the chairman changed budget. 

You don't go from signing Englands keeper, centre back and upcoming winger (no matter how throw he was)

to Pearce, Atherton etc.

Its the equivalent of the Monk era Fletcher to Patterson, Foresteri to Windass.

He's stil to blame for the signings but we was shopping at Tesco's instead of Marks and Spencer.

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, Bluewings said:

This is true but the chairman changed budget. 

You don't go from signing Englands keeper, centre back and upcoming winger (no matter how throw he was)

to Pearce, Atherton etc.

Its the equivalent of the Monk era Fletcher to Patterson, Foresteri to Windass.

He's stil to blame for the signings but we was shopping at Tesco's instead of Marks and Spencer.

We weren't quite at Lidl though. He still was able to splash cash on Nolan, Petrescu, Ingesson for the best part of £4m. 

Pearce and Atherton were just shy of a million pounds a piece. Not inconsiderable amounts - at that time , indeed not far off what we paid for the likes of Waddle and Woods.

I just don't think it's true to say the money had dried up. 

Indeed the year after Francis' departure we spent nearly seven million pounds on the two Serbian chaps and the wonderful, but sadly short lived Degryse.

• Like 7

Trevor Francis was sacked over quarter of a century ago now and we still seem to get a thread every week discussing if  he was a good manager or a crap one, truth was he was somewhere in-between. Did some good things and then things went flat and his man magement skills let him down and deserved to be moved on.

The early 90s side was a fantastic side but the average was very high with most players in they 30s and late 20s so by the time of the mid 90s most would have had to be replaced. Sadly the players brought in were not as good.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Trevor Francis was sacked over quarter of a century ago now and we still seem to get a thread every week discussing if  he was a good manager or a crap one, truth was he was somewhere in-between.  

It isn't

He's a horrific manager of people

He (like anyone else including you or I) can sit back and enjoy when the team want to play and perform, but he was lost the second it became a case of actually having to MANAGE players individually (and therefore as a team)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Owlstalk Shop

4 hours ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Without denigrating Palmer, I really rated Ian Taylor - He had a terrific eye for goals arriving in the box late - had a successful time in a Villa side that was better than us. 

Taylor wasn't as good as Palmer in his prime but he was a good central midfielder. Francis playing him wide left didn't help him or us. 

6 hours ago, Neal M said:

I think you are focusing on a couple of Francis’ admittedly great signings and ignoring the majority of his average/mediocre/dross signings.

Peter Atherton was no Nilsson.

Andy Pearce was no Pearson.

Ian Taylor was no Palmer.

Ian Taylor TBF was a solid regular for Villa for years.

Yes he was no Carlton Palmer, but a different sort of player.

• Like 1