Trevor Francis knew..

Guest Jack the Hat
4 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I think Ron Atkinson was a much better manager then Francis but I agree with you that some people are wrong to automatically assume Atkinson would have won the league in 1991/92.

Worth remembering that Atkinson was manager at some big clubs including Manchester United for 5 years and never won the league.

Think he was more of a big game manager overall in his career which is why he records in the cups is much better than the league.

So you're saying we would have won the European Cup?

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

The best way to judge Francis as an actual manager is to ask how he would do today with this squad

Would he keep us up?

The best way to judge a manager is a completely made up hypothetical situation ?? Not sure I agree with that. 

• Like 3

If we are to.judge Francis on how he would deal with today's squad and he is viewed as a bad manager , then surely those who say monk failed are justified in doing so. His results were awful. I don't care if we were third at one point. We collapsed and he rightly got the sack. 

Francis was so much better than what some give credit for. 

Not the best I agree but the best after big Ron that we have had I think. 

• Like 1

Some of my fondest memories of following the owls were during Tricky Trevs time as manager.

His downfall however was breaking up that side after Wembley too early, especially as some of those players went onto play at a decent level for a few more years.

Also he replaced them with players who weren’t as good....

Worthington > Nolan

Nillson > Atherton

Palmer > Taylor

Pearson > Pearce

Although in his defence he did bring in Des Walker during this period.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Some of my fondest memories of following the owls were during Tricky Trevs time as manager.

His downfall however was breaking up that side after Wembley too early, especially as some of those players went onto play at a decent level for a few more years.

Also he replaced them with players who weren’t as good....

Worthington > Nolan

Nillson > Atherton

Palmer > Taylor

Pearson > Pearce

Although in his defence he did bring in Des Walker during this period.

To be fair to Francis, it's quite clear that for his second phase of squad rebuilding, the Charterhouse money was gone, the debts were beginning to mount and we were forced to shop in a marketplace that it seems he was not so comfortable with. So there came an influx of mediocre players compared with what went before and he couldn't elevate their performances and I imagine most other managers wouldn't have been able to either. It was also a period where one of our greatest players of the modern era wasn't available much and he was often less than 100% when he played. Bit of a handicap going from David Hirst to Gordon Watson, Nigel Jemson or Guy Whittingham.

Edited by DJMortimer
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Jack the Hat said:

Like I've got time to mess around like that. I was there at the time and we were outspending Arsenal, I have a fully functioning memory. Waddle was a bargain due to his age and Francis's connections helped, but was it inspired or pure obvious decision. Blackburn were the big spenders at the time and we were in the bunch below them. For example in 1992 they bought Shearer for 3.3million, which was a record and the following season we paid 2.75million for Andy Sinton. That put into context the money at his disposal, relative to the time and how wisely he spent it. There are more examples like that. There weren't many teams in 92-94, other than Blackburn outspending us.

Absolute bolloxe..i was there at the time also.

We needed 2 players to win the league...richards decided not to go for it..he didn't like francis and never did....in context loads of transfers go apeshyte...you cherry pick one

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

To be fair to Francis, it's quite clear that for his second phase of squad rebuilding, the Charterhouse money was gone, the debts were beginning to mount and we were forced to shop in a marketplace that it seems he was not so comfortable with. So there came an influx of mediocre players compared with what went before and he couldn't elevate their performances and I imagine most other managers wouldn't have been able to either. It was also a period where one of our greatest players of the modern era wasn't available much and he was often less than 100% when he played. Bit of a handicap going from David Hirst to Gordon Watson, Nigel Jemson or Guy Whittingham.

But we're constantly told on here that managers should work with what they've been given and that Garry Monk and co are rubbish because they couldn't manage their players

Owlstalk Shop

40 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Absolute bolloxe..i was there at the time also.

We needed 2 players to win the league...richards decided not to go for it..he didn't like francis and never did....in context loads of transfers go apeshyte...you cherry pick one

Which 2 players from that time do you think would have made the difference?

52 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

He didn't do much else FOR us when he was manager

Well... apart from our highest league finish of the last 60 years, our only appearance in a major European competition in the last 57, three consecutive finishes in the top 7 of the country which we had not done since 1964 and becoming only the second team ever to play in both domestic cup finals in the same season (unfortunately for us, Arsenal were of course the first, and in the same year).

• Like 3

22 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

He never managed the team - the team did the managing/running/success

Aye I’m sure he never managed the team. I’m guessing this is how the conversation went one day.

Warhurst “Trevor I’ve decided I’m playing up front when we play Forest away and I want to be a forward from now on”

Francis “ Okay, whatever Paul, after all I don’t manage the team you lot do”

Is this what you reckon happened then?😀

1 hour ago, Big Rons Hairspray said:

Which 2 players from that time do you think would have made the difference?

I think if Wednesday had gone for it we could have got shearer the fees of Woods and Sinton would've been enough at that time  and maybe held on to Cantona

A midfield of Waddle, Sheridan, Palmer and Cantona with Hirst and Shearer up front it could've happened but Wednesday always seem to pull back when they had a  chance to be really something 

I find it hilarious how Neil slates Francis ever chance he gets. But was so far up Monk's arse he could tell us what he had for breakfast 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sticky Micky said:

I find it hilarious how Neil slates Francis ever chance he gets. But was so far up Monk's arse he could tell us what he had for breakfast 

Have never been up Monk's arse  - not ever

I'd love to have seen what Trevor Francis would have done with the same players Monk was given
My guess?
Relegation

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, sexpistol said:

Aye I’m sure he never managed the team. I’m guessing this is how the conversation went one day.

Warhurst “Trevor I’ve decided I’m playing up front when we play Forest away and I want to be a forward from now on”

Francis “ Okay, whatever Paul, after all I don’t manage the team you lot do”

Is this what you reckon happened then?😀

We recently had a manager play Forestieri at left back - he got slated

DOUBLE STANDARDS

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Well... apart from our highest league finish of the last 60 years, our only appearance in a major European competition in the last 57, three consecutive finishes in the top 7 of the country which we had not done since 1964 and becoming only the second team ever to play in both domestic cup finals in the same season (unfortunately for us, Arsenal were of course the first, and in the same year).

Not being funny but Jos Luhukay would have done that with that squad

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop