Trevor Francis knew..

1 hour ago, Bulldog said:

I concur, never understood the hatred directed at a manger who took us to Wembley twice and got us to 3rd, 7th & 7th in the best league in the world.  

He didn't do it because he was a great manager though

He only did it because he literally couldn't fail with the squad he had

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop

First of all I apologize if my original post has hijacked what the thread was about🤦‍♂️
I know many think TF was only able to do what he did due to it being Atkinsons side and there is no doubt he used the nucleus of Ron’s team no doubt at all

But it wasn’t all Atkinsons team. Here is the team from the game against Utd at Wembley. it’s more or less what was used that season give or take a couple of players

Sheffield Wednesday: Woods, Nilsson, Worthington, Palmer, Harkes, Anderson, Wilson, Waddle, Warhurst, Bright, Sheridan. Subs: Hirst, Hyde 

Correct me if I’m wrong (I may be)

3 players were already here

6 were in Ron’s team

Additions by Francis were Woods, Waddle,Warhurst,Bright

They to me are pretty good additions that didn’t make the team weaker The thought it was Ron’s team end of isn’t really the case is it?

We will never know if we could have had a better manager We perhaps could but that team sheet says TF was not as bad as some think

what I put was my opinion

i don’t think TF was like Guardiola but he did ok

• Like 6

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

So how come Liverpool weren't walking the league with the squad they had and the likes of Spurs with internationals in every position. Francis got the team playing the best football I have ever seen from Wednesday and sadly it will stay that way in my lifetime. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

So how come Liverpool weren't walking the league with the squad they had and the likes of Spurs with internationals in every position. Francis got the team playing the best football I have ever seen from Wednesday and sadly it will stay that way in my lifetime. 

He was a horrific 'manager'

He never managed the team - the team did the managing/running/success

Francis was awful

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

4 hours ago, Jack the Hat said:

If Only:

a- Big Ron had stayed

b- We'd have replaced him with a proper manager.

I think we would have won big in the early nineties - probably even the league. My heart still sinks thinking about what a missed opportunity it was.

But would we have got the likes of Waddle and Walker? Two of our best ever players who came due to Francis.

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

A squad of which he added players who made a significant contribution eg Waddle/Warhurst/ Bright

Saw Paul Thompson on that photo.

He was the Stars Wednesday man for years but never seemed to get involved in any controversy.

He reporting was a bit bland if I am honest.

He seemed to retire quietly and never heard of him again,

I wonder if he still follows Wednesday or went to games after he finished at the Star.

41 minutes ago, Big Rons Hairspray said:

What do people think of Richie Barker?

He was assistant to both Big Ron & Tricky Trev.

I always thought it was strange he had such a prominent part in the ‘Back in Division 1’ season review video.

The players either loved him or HATED HIS GUTS

lol

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

The players either loved him or HATED HIS GUTS

lol

No middle ground there then, I know he was a bit older but I thought he may have stepped in when Francis left.

I thought he came across really well in the season review, talking about trying to emulate the squad set up at Liverpool & the plans for Wednesday to compete at a high level.

Maybe Francis did change the squad too much after the 4 Wembley games but average age must have been quite high that season,

Off top of my head Woods, Worthington, Wilson, Anderson, Waddle, Mark Bright were all over 30.

I don't think players like Nilsson, Palmer or Sheridan were youngsters either.

The players he brought in afterwards only really Des Walker were as good a player.

Sinton was a disappointment.

We have had worse and better managers than Francis in my time watching Wednesday and went at the right time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Basement Jack said:

First of all I apologize if my original post has hijacked what the thread was about🤦‍♂️
I know many think TF was only able to do what he did due to it being Atkinsons side and there is no doubt he used the nucleus of Ron’s team no doubt at all

But it wasn’t all Atkinsons team. Here is the team from the game against Utd at Wembley. it’s more or less what was used that season give or take a couple of players

Sheffield Wednesday: Woods, Nilsson, Worthington, Palmer, Harkes, Anderson, Wilson, Waddle, Warhurst, Bright, Sheridan. Subs: Hirst, Hyde 

Correct me if I’m wrong (I may be)

3 players were already here

6 were in Ron’s team

Additions by Francis were Woods, Waddle,Warhurst,Bright

They to me are pretty good additions that didn’t make the team weaker The thought it was Ron’s team end of isn’t really the case is it?

We will never know if we could have had a better manager We perhaps could but that team sheet says TF was not as bad as some think

what I put was my opinion

i don’t think TF was like Guardiola but he did ok

I agree. he played 76 times for Wednesday in his mid thirties and I loved watching him. He was a world class player and, but for injuries he would have got more than the 52 caps he got.  As a manager he signed Waddle and Warhurst (converting him to a brilliant striker) and got us to 2 Cup finals, playing in Europe, and making us equals with Arsenal and Man Utd for a time.  I've read the books, who cares if some players didn't like him? Fans and players don't have to like the manager it's results that count, and what Wednesday fan wouldn't love us to finish 3rd, 7th, or even 13th in the PL now? It wouldn't matter if EVERY player was signed by a predecessor, the buck stops with the manager, and TF gave me some of the best moments EVER following the Owls.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

He was a horrific 'manager'

He never managed the team - the team did the managing/running/success

Francis was awful

It's well known Neil that you don't like Francis (and that's up to you) but, fvvck me, what a daft thing to say.  Did the team pick itself and make all of the signings also?  

Third in the league and two cup finals isn't brought around by a horrific manager or a team managing itself.  My guess is that Francis was unpopular in the dressing room because he tried to curb the drinking and partying culture that our team had.  Francis' squad from the Cup Final/UEFA Cup competition year is the best I have seen in all my years in watching Wednesday (since the mid-70s) but, its well documented that they liked a pint or two too many.  

• Like 2