Trevor Francis knew..

Guest Jack the Hat

If Only:

a- Big Ron had stayed

b- We'd have replaced him with a proper manager.

I think we would have won big in the early nineties - probably even the league. My heart still sinks thinking about what a missed opportunity it was.

Guest Jack the Hat
29 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

I concur, never understood the hatred directed at a manger who took us to Wembley twice and got us to 3rd, 7th & 7th in the best league in the world. Something we'll probably never see again.

(now waiting for someone to say he only did it because he inherited Ron's team 😆)

He spent millions at a time when we were out spending teams like Arsenal and we ended up with a worse team. The team he inherited actually won something whereas his never did. Have you used 'hatred' deliberately as an emotive word, because what most people express is disappointment not hatred, that we made such an elementary mistake taking a gamble on a manager who had failed in his only previous job.

57 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

I concur, never understood the hatred directed at a manger who took us to Wembley twice and got us to 3rd, 7th & 7th in the best league in the world. Something we'll probably never see again.

(now waiting for someone to say he only did it because he inherited Ron's team 😆)

Listened to Carlton Palmers owl sanctuary podcast and he says just that 

Such was the strength of character in the dressing room he said that side managed itself. You only have to look at how many of that squad went on to manage themselves to see that 

25 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

He spent millions at a time when we were out spending teams like Arsenal

Yep Waddle was a whole £1M..Warhorse was free. ..can you provide links where it says we were outspending Arsenal...or was it just over a couple of months..?

Francis went on a split decision...that ******** wanky chairman at the time decided.

Marvelous decision...never looked back since.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jack the Hat said:

If Only:

a- Big Ron had stayed

b- We'd have replaced him with a proper manager.

I think we would have won big in the early nineties - probably even the league. My heart still sinks thinking about what a missed opportunity it was.

I convinced my self that Francis was only keeping the seat warm for Bobby Robson, but When Barcelona comes calling it takes a big man to say no.

Francis wasn't up to the job of rebuilding the squad inherited from Big Ron.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Basement Jack said:

Divides opinion does Trevor Francis

Made some poor signings toward the end of his reign true. However I will always remember his time here fondly

Trips to Wembley

European Football

Gave me the most memorable half of football I’ve over seen Wednesday play (v Blackburn in the cup)

Took us within a whisker of the title too

Yep some signings were poor and decline was maybe setting in but I can forgive that for the memories his signings Waddle Walker and Warhurst left

Also those absolutely fantastic cameo appearances under Atkinson in his late thirties 

He had a difficult task following Atkinson especially with the charisma of Atkinson. Francis never had that and could be controversial at times but I for one look back on his time fondly

Agree, wish we were as poor now as we were then!

• Like 1

Guest Jack the Hat
40 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Yep Waddle was a whole £1M..Warhorse was free. ..can you provide links where it says we were outspending Arsenal...or was it just over a couple of months..?

Francis went on a split decision...that ******** wanky chairman at the time decided.

Marvelous decision...never looked back since.

Like I've got time to mess around like that. I was there at the time and we were outspending Arsenal, I have a fully functioning memory. Waddle was a bargain due to his age and Francis's connections helped, but was it inspired or pure obvious decision. Blackburn were the big spenders at the time and we were in the bunch below them. For example in 1992 they bought Shearer for 3.3million, which was a record and the following season we paid 2.75million for Andy Sinton. That put into context the money at his disposal, relative to the time and how wisely he spent it. There are more examples like that. There weren't many teams in 92-94, other than Blackburn outspending us.