Trevor Francis knew..

3 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

So there came an influx of mediocre players compared with what went before and he couldn't elevate their performances and I imagine most other managers wouldn't have been able to either. 

pleat did he got them to 7th place ....... it  went a bit pear shape the season after  but pleat did get them performing  in 96-97 .

7 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

He didn’t do much else after us, that says it all

He got Birmingham to a League Cup Final, that's quite an achievement. So, in 10 years he got unfashionable teams to 3 cup finals, he had us in Europe and finishing in the top 7 three times.  It's not such a bad record. 

• Like 2

It is slightly strange how the two managers who get the most of a slagging on here are Francis and Carlos....

Anyway, if Francis was managing this current squad this season he would have come 14th, which is 17th when factoring the points deduction.

Thread closed.

7 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Have never been up Monk's arse  - not ever

I'd love to have seen what Trevor Francis would have done with the same players Monk was given
My guess?
Relegation

Francis imo  would  have struggled with this collection of average players. I think he was good dealing with top players because of how good he was , in short Trevor understood what it is like to be an international class footballer

Different managers are suited to different levels of the game eg Warnock is ( or certainly was) a great 2nd division manager he would never be seriously considered for a European sized club

19 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Some of my fondest memories of following the owls were during Tricky Trevs time as manager.

His downfall however was breaking up that side after Wembley too early, especially as some of those players went onto play at a decent level for a few more years.

Also he replaced them with players who weren’t as good....

Worthington > Nolan

Nillson > Atherton

Palmer > Taylor

Pearson > Pearce

Although in his defence he did bring in Des Walker during this period.

This is it in a nutshell. TF had us playing the best football I've ever seen us play and the performance at Blackburn in the LC semi was the stuff of dreams. 

His early signings were generally good, Warhurst, Waddle, Bright and Woods (who IMO wasn't as bad as made out by some, just didn't live up to expectations and made errors in high profile games). The problem was when he had to rebuild the team he inherited and, in fairness, improved. You can add Ingesson (RIP) to the above list of poor quality signings. In addition, some of the football post the finals was poor and in his last season it was generally turgid. 

Yes, I know that we would all love to have a poor season and finish 14th in the EPL but that doesn't mean that he was a great manager. However, neither was he a shocker and some of the comments on this post are bizarre

37 minutes ago, Bramhall Owl said:

This is it in a nutshell. TF had us playing the best football I've ever seen us play and the performance at Blackburn in the LC semi was the stuff of dreams. 

His early signings were generally good, Warhurst, Waddle, Bright and Woods (who IMO wasn't as bad as made out by some, just didn't live up to expectations and made errors in high profile games). The problem was when he had to rebuild the team he inherited and, in fairness, improved. You can add Ingesson (RIP) to the above list of poor quality signings. In addition, some of the football post the finals was poor and in his last season it was generally turgid. 

Yes, I know that we would all love to have a poor season and finish 14th in the EPL but that doesn't mean that he was a great manager. However, neither was he a shocker and some of the comments on this post are bizarre

He was a shocking manager

As demonstrated when he couldn’t actually manage the squad at all when Big Ron’s team dismantled

You know... actually MANAGING rather than just ‘enjoying’

Owlstalk Shop

21 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

To be fair to Francis, it's quite clear that for his second phase of squad rebuilding, the Charterhouse money was gone, the debts were beginning to mount and we were forced to shop in a marketplace that it seems he was not so comfortable with. So there came an influx of mediocre players compared with what went before and he couldn't elevate their performances and I imagine most other managers wouldn't have been able to either. It was also a period where one of our greatest players of the modern era wasn't available much and he was often less than 100% when he played. Bit of a handicap going from David Hirst to Gordon Watson, Nigel Jemson or Guy Whittingham.

Charterhouse didn’t get involved with the club until 1997.