Galvin to Hirst...

I was there, Dean Barrick scored in the first minute or so, I think it was his debut. Hirsty was simply pure class, a privilege to see him play. Interesting and says a lot the number of folk on the home end clapping the goal in what was a home defeat in a crucial relegation decider.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Since 1971 said:

I was there, Dean Barrick scored in the first minute or so, I think it was his debut. Hirsty was simply pure class, a privilege to see him play. Interesting and says a lot the number of folk on the home end clapping the goal in what was a home defeat in a crucial relegation decider.

I think it was his first touch. Pearson scored as well. 

I've got over the downer I had on him re the whole George Hirst thing (might be different if he was knocking them in for Leicester in the Premier League 😬).

What a player, my favourite of all-time. Played for Wednesday exactly how the fans would want to play.

Guest Jack the Hat

I was at the game. St James Park was a right dump back then. Team announced - who's Dean Barrick? - 3 minutes in and he'd scored. Then he got another. And that was never a penalty in a million years. Saw an interview with Hirst and he said that was his favourite goal. Top top player. Better than Shearer but career manager stopped him proving it. But if he had managed his career better he would have left us, so I'm not complaining.

Scored some fantastic goals but his one against Villa is my favourite - pity we threw it away.

I also love his header against Blackburn in the semi final. Not an amazing goal but the turn by Waddle and Hirst was just unstoppable in those situations.

When Hirst was in the side you always thought we were going to score and had a good chance of winning regardless of who we were playing. He did have his barren spells where the goals dried up for a time, but fans never stopped believing in him. Where as today we have a striker that scores, doesn't score in the next game, so gets hooked after 60 minutes  and then is dropped. This would never have happened with Hirst and its amazing what can happen if you give a striker a run of games.

28 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Scored some fantastic goals but his one against Villa is my favourite - pity we threw it away.

I also love his header against Blackburn in the semi final. Not an amazing goal but the turn by Waddle and Hirst was just unstoppable in those situations.

True - summed the period up. Waddle defined wing play - not quick but able to simply beat a full back in one movement and cross with either foot perfectly to the CF.

Hirst would beat most quality centre halfs in the air - Bruce, Mark Wright, Adams and Ruddock would often loose an aerial battle with Hirst and heading wasn't suppose to be his main attribute.