1989 to 1993 happy days

We did exactly the same as we have done in the last 6 years, just a league higher.

put together a good side and did better than expected in 1991.   From then on we bottled it. Lost cup finals, lost league cup final the following year, started 93/94 as favourites to win the league and came 7th. We bought ageing players past their best like Walker ,

sinton for big money , leading to us eventually getting older and older squad,  and worse and worse, before it ended in boardroom anarchy, being absolutely skint and embarrassing relegation with a completely spineless team managed by a caretaker coach who hadnt  managed in years.

• Haha 1

Just now, mcmigo said:

We did exactly the same as we have done in the last 6 years, just a league higher.

put together a good side and did better than expected in 1991.   From then on we bottled it. Lost cup finals, lost league cup final the following year, started 93/94 as favourites to win the league and came 7th. We bought ageing players past their best like Walker ,

sinton for big money , leading to us eventually getting older and older squad,  and worse and worse, before it ended in boardroom anarchy, being absolutely skint and embarrassing relegation with a completely spineless team managed by a caretaker coach who hadnt  managed in years.

Meant semi final in 94 not final 

Rose tinted specs.

We got relegated in 1989-90, scoring a miserable 35 goals, less than one a game.

I did nowt but complain.   1993-4 was decent. Good football under Francis. Finished 7th, and got to League cup semi final, taking 10,000 to Old Trafford.  

Yes 90-1 to 93-4 was good. 

Apart from two seasons under Carlos, it's been pretty much rubbish since. 

26 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Des was 28 when we signed him. 

• Like 1

Completely and can't agree more. I was born in 74', so i was between 16 and 20 during those times. We had real heroes back then. Football players in general are so "generic" there's no characters anymore like back in those days. The last player we had that had that bit of gamesmanship /attitude was Wallace. If we do go down we need to get some characters into the sqaud.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Walker was probably one of the best 5 transfers of the last 40 years and we were one of the favourites to win the league but not the favourite

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, matt68owls said:

Walker was probably one of the best 5 transfers of the last 40 years and we were one of the favourites to win the league but not the favourite

He was a shadow of the player he was at forest regardless of his age .

he didn’t improve our defence at all , we conceded more with him in it than we did with old veterans on their last legs like Andersen and shirtliff. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

he didn’t improve our defence at all , we conceded more with him in it than we did with old veterans on their last legs like Andersen and shirtliff. 

walker had to play  most of the time with the likes of nolan and atherton,  a little different to playing with Nilsson, king and Pearson

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RockieOwl said:

I'm too young but I had the Road to Glory video or whatever it was called which started with the loss to Forest that relegated us. Just surprised you said 1989 was part of the best years as I imagine that Forest game must have been one of the most horrific

No the good times started at that final whistle, cos the management promised that we'd be back, and they delivered and how

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OxfordOwl said:

It wasn't all plain sailing....The Nottingham Forest  0-3 relegation game at Hillsborough during 1990 was heartbreaking. Luton winning 3-2 at Derby and sending us down. (Derby messing with us again).

That day was devastating, I think we went down with one of the highest points totals for a top flight relegation.

Even then though the club and the fans were together. The rhetoric was that anything less than instant promotion would be failure and there was a real belief in us being able to achieve it before a ball was kicked the next season. 

There was a trust that the board, the management team and the entire playing squad was pulling in the same direction and that filtered into the fanbase.  

3 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Thats bait. Must be, or its some good narcotics. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mcmigo said:

Yep, got promotion to top flight, won a Major Trophy, Played in Europe, had the football writers player of the Year, had Regular trips to Wembley competing for other domestic Trophies not playoffs, scored 4 goals in 20 memorable minutes in a lc Semi Final, beat our dearest neighbours in a Semi Final at Wembley, competed on almost equal terms with the best in the Country (with a minute left in our penultimate match of 91/92 season we could still win the Title), finished as 3Rd best team in the country once and 7th best twice, expected to win every home game and most away games in The Top flight no matter who the opposition, played football very pleasing to the eye and had a team full of International players who were very exciting and entertaining to watch and there's plenty I've missed.

Exactly the same as the last 6 years. (Especially this season). 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, OWL1969 said:

Yep, got promotion to top flight, won a Major Trophy, Played in Europe, had the football writers player of the Year, had Regular trips to Wembley competing for other domestic Trophies not playoffs, scored 4 goals in 20 memorable minutes in a lc Semi Final, beat our dearest neighbours in a Semi Final at Wembley, competed on almost equal terms with the best in the Country (with a minute left in our penultimate match of 91/92 season we could still win the Title), finished as 3Rd best team in the country once and 7th best twice, expected to win every home game and most away games in The Top flight no matter who the opposition, played football very pleasing to the eye and had a team full of International players who were very exciting and entertaining to watch and there's plenty I've missed.

Exactly the same as the last 6 years. (Especially this season). 

I really shouldn't bite! 😂😂

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

I remember one of last  away matches of 1993-94 season at Oldham (I think) when we drew 0-0 and bloke being refused to clap side at then end as we were only going to finish 7th in the Premier League.

Shows you how after a couple years of success some fans get a sense of entitlement.

I was at that game - ended oddly with fans showering gordon watson with scarves and i seem to recall flowers as he bowed in front of the away end!

Not a classic-  their forward McCarthy missed an absolute sitter , banged it over the bar.