1989 to 1993 happy days

10 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

Yep, got promotion to top flight, won a Major Trophy, Played in Europe, had the football writers player of the Year, had Regular trips to Wembley competing for other domestic Trophies not playoffs, scored 4 goals in 20 memorable minutes in a lc Semi Final, beat our dearest neighbours in a Semi Final at Wembley, competed on almost equal terms with the best in the Country (with a minute left in our penultimate match of 91/92 season we could still win the Title), finished as 3Rd best team in the country once and 7th best twice, expected to win every home game and most away games in The Top flight no matter who the opposition, played football very pleasing to the eye and had a team full of International players who were very exciting and entertaining to watch and there's plenty I've missed.

Exactly the same as the last 6 years. (Especially this season). 

or - 

Went broke for the sake of 1 league cup and a 'European adventure' where we beat one team - Spora Luxembourg.

My memory is of Hillsbro, the surrounding area and the pubs being packed out most Saturdays and Tuesdays\Wednesdays when we were at home.  The buzz and excitement. The ground being full regularly.  If you were young the kop was the place to be.The closest weve come this decade was Cardiff and Brighton at home in the play off season.

Damm nostalgia is a *****.

Edited by HIGHERSTATE
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

The Howard Wilkinson days were good, even though the ball had to leave the pitch on a stretcher, due to lack of oxygen, I'm sure I saw the ball higher than the clock once

That's a lazy assumption of the Wilkinson years especially the promotion year Wednesday played what would be called a high press game today and absolutely overwhelmed teams with fitness and strength and exciting attacking football.

There's a video sometimes put on here of a 4-1 win against Charlton watch it and tell me That's hoof ball

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

My memory is of Hillsbro, the surrounding area and the pubs being packed out most Saturdays and Tuesdays\Wednesdays when we were at home.  The buzz and excitement. The ground being full regularly.  If you were young the kop was the place to be.The closest weve come this decade was Cardiff and Brighton at home in the play off season.

Damm nostalgia is a *****.

That Arsenal game too

1 minute ago, owler66 said:

That's a lazy assumption of the Wilkinson years especially the promotion year Wednesday played what would be called a high press game today and absolutely overwhelmed teams with fitness and strength and exciting attacking football.

There's a video sometimes put on here of a 4-1 win against Charlton watch it and tell me That's hoof ball

And that 4-2 win v Newcastle United, with Keegan and Co, those games were few and far between though

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

And that 4-2 win v Newcastle United, with Keegan and Co, those games were few and far between though

6-1 Swansea 

4-2 Blackburn 

5-2 Cardiff to name three

8 minutes ago, owler66 said:

Yes I agree with this.

Many things Howard Wilkinson did at Wednesday were ahead of its time.

Graham Taylor was similar at Watford where it was a pressing game trying to force you opponents into mistakes by giving them less time on the ball.

18 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

or - 

Went broke for the sake of 1 league cup and a 'European adventure' where we beat one team - Spora Luxembourg.

You're obviously on the wind up (or pissed or worse)

We've only ever in over 150 years, won 8 major Trophies and played in Europe a handful of occasions, im not sure how many promotions to the top flight, but again less than 10.

One of those Trophies, (plus 2 or even 3 very near misses) one of those European adventures and one of those Promotions was in an era that you're comparing with Now and saying it was exactly same. 

That's without all the other stuff I've previously mentioned.

Give over you're embarrassing yourself. 

• Love 1

20 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

You're obviously on the wind up (or pissed or worse)

We've only ever in over 150 years, won 8 major Trophies and played in Europe a handful of occasions, im not sure how many promotions to the top flight, but again less than 10.

One of those Trophies, (plus 2 or even 3 very near misses) one of those European adventures and one of those Promotions was in an era that you're comparing with Now and saying it was exactly same. 

That's without all the other stuff I've previously mentioned.

Give over you're embarrassing yourself. 

The point is this.

that team shat themselves in both finals in 93,

the semi in 94, was too expensive for what we could afford , was eventually full of ageing expensive players and led us to relegation and near bankruptcy .

this team shat themselves in the play off final , the semi in 2016, was too expensive for what we could afford, is now full of expensive players who are leading us to relegation and near bankruptcy. 

we just need DC to quit to become FA Chairman and Peter shreeves to take over to complete it all 

5 hours ago, mcmigo said:

He was a shadow of the player he was at forest regardless of his age .

he didn’t improve our defence at all , we conceded more with him in it than we did with old veterans on their last legs like Andersen and shirtliff. 

Jesus wept, Des Walker was immense for us . He had Andy Pearce as his partner, and carried him , Atherton and Nolan.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

The point is this.

that team shat themselves in both finals in 93,

the semi in 94, was too expensive for what we could afford , was eventually full of ageing expensive players and led us to relegation and near bankruptcy .

this team shat themselves in the play off final , the semi in 2016, was too expensive for what we could afford, is now full of expensive players who are leading us to relegation and near bankruptcy. 

we just need DC to quit to become FA Chairman and Peter shreeves to take over to complete it all 

I think you need to quit along with Chansiri

The point is 

The 90-93 Team

Won Promotion

Won the League Cup.

Finished 3rd in the League

Narrowly failed to win in both 93 Cup Finals ( The Fa Cup particularly could have gone either way, it just wasn't meant to be) against a good Arsenal side who were one of only 4 or 5 teams who could compete with us.

Played in Europe and would possibly have gone further but for some harsh refereeing decisions.

The team played with Skill, vision, purpose and Pride.

Shat it? Definetly not, just turned up short and possibly a little unlucky in the Finals.

This current bunch,

6th in 2nd tier then lost in Playoff Final

4th in 2nd Tier (somewhat fortuitously imo) lost Playoff Semi

Mid table

Getting relegated from the 2nd Tier (probably would without points deduction) 

The team struggle to place two passes together and as soon as any pressure is put on them (even against poor teams) Crumble, they have no heart, fight, desire or Pride to pull on The Wednesday Shirt.

They look awful in attack, Midfield gets overrun and haven't a clue how to defend.

They can't hold onto a 2 nil lead against a team who havent won at home in 5 games or even hold onto a 1 all draw against 10 men who've lost their previous 5 Matches.

Shat it? Definetly they're not very good anyway, but just don't have the heart for a battle.

Back in 2016 we certainly didn't play well in the Playoff Final, but people forget Hull had finished way ahead of us and were a better team than us, they showed that in The Final. Shat it? Not sure.

2017 Manager got it all wrong in the Playoffs (and earlier) with his defensive formation, but it was against Huddersfield of the 2nd Tier, certainly no Arsenal of 93.

Shat it? The Manager did.

That 90-93 team had nothing to do with us getting Relegated SEVEN Years later, many things had gone on in the time between 93 and 2000 bad managers and mismanagement of our best Players and losing them for next to nothing.

The Italians were much more to blame for the following Relegation and Near Bankruptcy than the 90-93 Team.

As for the 2017 playoff semi being too expensive

The cost of losing in the Semi was a disaster but the match itself?

I'm not sure where you're coming from. 

Yes the mismanagement is similar  (Though it appears much worse now) 

But comparing the Teams?  Give over they couldn't be further apart.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

Those 4 years for me were the best following Wednesday, never had a complaint to make, the club was on the same wavelength as the fans, they tried their best week in week out, and we were happy with that, happy days

Never had a complaint? We got relegated  in 1990!

Guest Therealrealist
15 hours ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

Those 4 years for me were the best following Wednesday, never had a complaint to make, the club was on the same wavelength as the fans, they tried their best week in week out, and we were happy with that, happy days

Loved it..I was at the right age as well..but I did realise all those years ago we would never better it...that’s why I don’t have meltdowns about nowt

14 hours ago, danblakemore said:

Oh the forest game was awful. Small radios going off everywhere.

But, with hindsight it set up the best season in my lifetime of watching Wednesday. Even better than the 93 one for me. 

Always remember Ron coming on the radio that evening and promising the fans we'd come straight back, galavanising the fans.

He was as good as his word (until he f'ed off to Villa anyway lol )

Edited by RUMBELOWS91
  • Like 1

The financial problems started in the later 90s signing the likes of Jonk, Sibon, De Bilde...

Losing Stefanovic on a free over a matter of an extra sub appearance etc. Carbone and Di Canio being let go for less than £2m between them

Also I’m not surprised we conceded more goals when Des was playing with Nolan, Pearce, Coleman, Atherton.....the defence didn’t do too bad once Des was in a back 4 with Thome and Hinchcliffe for a season 

• Like 2

The away performance in league cup at Blackburn was probably the best football we have played in last 40 years. 

Being stood on that away end at the goals went in was just class. 

Old fashioned terrace packed to the rafters was what proper football was all about. 

Todays game doesn’t come close for me. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

One of my favourite games ever (except for crush inside ground) was first game of 90/91 season at Ipswich.  Very pleasant drive through Suffolk and Constable Country, stopping in a couple of great old thatched pubs along the way.  Didn’t see too many Wednesdayites until we got into Ipswich, then they were absolutely everywhere!  Such a great response to relegation from the supporters made me feel quite proud.  The team didn’t play too badly either!

• Like 2