1989 to 1993 happy days

11 minutes ago, RichSheffWeds said:

The away performance in league cup at Blackburn was probably the best football we have played in last 40 years. 

Being stood on that away end at the goals went in was just class. 

Old fashioned terrace packed to the rafters was what proper football was all about. 

Todays game doesn’t come close for me. 

ah, the memories. at least we still have the memories. and I shall be forever grateful for those times.

• Like 1

The relegation season whilst Big Ron was manager, was my first season following us. I remember most David Hirst and Dalian Atkinson being on fire against Liverpool, which was the moment Wednesday hooked me. Even though we went down, it was different to all the relegations since because it felt like we shouldn't have went down and we were more than good enough to instantly bounce back. And we bounced back in style, at times playing some of the most exciting football I've ever seen us play and lifting against the odds a major trophy too. The next couple of years were great to watch too.

Didn't realise at the time, how lucky I was to have been there during that era but I don't think we'll ever see it that good again. It would take a miracle for us to even get back to the top flight, let alone mix it with the top teams; lift a major trophy again, get into Europe, reaching major SF's and Finals regularly and having genuine top class players with pedigree.

It doesn't even compare with today, to be honest we have done nothing of note since the 90s, yes the play offs and promotions back to the second tier were exciting times too but it's nowhere near the same level of success as the 90s. I can't see it ever being that good again, football has changed so much since those days but we live in hope even though I highly doubt I'll ever see us in the top flight again, all the miserable days and years will be worth it, if we ever did somehow get back to the top flight. 

I consider myself very fortunate to have had the time and money to follow Wednesday in this era to cup finals  and fulfilling one of my life ambitions, seeing them play in Europe. The metallic clunk of Sheridan's shot hitting the post and going in at Wembley I will remember to my last day.

Along with others, I would also include the 83 onwards Wilkinson years. That team could press, battle, hoof and play on the deck. 

And we signed Des Walker just after the back pass rule changed. His game had to change and adapt and he lost some of his confidence not being able to just out sprint a striker and knock it back to the goalie.

It was a long time ago but seems like forever even though I remember it like yesterday. Even though 89/90 wasn’t great performance wise you could see a team taking shape. The first time I saw palmer I thought what a player, I never thought we would have a better right back than zico but Nilsson was a world class player and Sheridan showed me what a proper football player was. When we went down you knew we would go back up because of the players we had but most of all the manager who was so charismatic we would follow him to the end of the earth. The league cup was a bonus a fantastic one but a bonus and even after ron left we knew we would do well and so we did. I think if we’d have realised we could have won the league that year we could have done but it was still a fantastic season. The next year was unbelievable waddle was a dream to watch and for 6 months we were probably the best team in England we just ran out of steam and luck when it really mattered. The following season should have seen us challenge for the title because on paper we signed the right players but injuries and some of the new players failing knocked us back, it was the start of the demise but we were used to seeing a top team and couldn’t see it 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, owler66 said:

That's a lazy assumption of the Wilkinson years especially the promotion year Wednesday played what would be called a high press game today and absolutely overwhelmed teams with fitness and strength and exciting attacking football.

There's a video sometimes put on here of a 4-1 win against Charlton watch it and tell me That's hoof ball

I never bought into that either. We had some good players that could and did play.

In that 83-84 team Sterland, Irish, Megson, Shelton, Bannister and Varadi were all very good footballers.

• Like 2

I was there in the 20’s and 30’s , that was an era.

Won league at a canter in 1929 and never finished lower than 3rd for next seven seasons.  Used to cost a groat and a shilling to stand in my brown suit on the kop in a puddle of my own p/ss.

great days.

13 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

The relegation season whilst Big Ron was manager, was my first season following us. I remember most David Hirst and Dalian Atkinson being on fire against Liverpool, which was the moment Wednesday hooked me. Even though we went down, it was different to all the relegations since because it felt like we shouldn't have went down and we were more than good enough to instantly bounce back. And we bounced back in style, at times playing some of the most exciting football I've ever seen us play and lifting against the odds a major trophy too. The next couple of years were great to watch too.

Didn't realise at the time, how lucky I was to have been there during that era but I don't think we'll ever see it that good again. It would take a miracle for us to even get back to the top flight, let alone mix it with the top teams; lift a major trophy again, get into Europe, reaching major SF's and Finals regularly and having genuine top class players with pedigree.

It doesn't even compare with today, to be honest we have done nothing of note since the 90s, yes the play offs and promotions back to the second tier were exciting times too but it's nowhere near the same level of success as the 90s. I can't see it ever being that good again, football has changed so much since those days but we live in hope even though I highly doubt I'll ever see us in the top flight again, all the miserable days and years will be worth it, if we ever did somehow get back to the top flight. 

Funny how your own definition of time changes, I remember in 83 as a 13 Year old, during our FA cup run, my Dad talking about how we'd been drawn away in every round and how that had happened in 66 and me thinking that 1966 (just 17 years previous)  was forever away.

Yet here I sit 30 Years on from that 90/91 season and although in many ways it seems light Years away, the memories are fresh in my mind.

I still get misty eyed thinking about those days, following them up and down the Country and even into Europe, watching players we can now only dream of.

I can't believe where those 30 Years have gone.

It's a sign I'm getting old I'm afraid

1 minute ago, mcmigo said:

I was there in the 20’s and 30’s , that was an era.

Won league at a canter in 1929 and never finished lower than 3rd for next seven seasons.  Used to cost a groat and a shilling to stand in my brown suit on the kop in a puddle of my own p/ss.

great days.

Aye, but it was exactly the same as now, wasn't it? 

On 05/03/2021 at 08:24, RockieOwl said:

I'm too young but I had the Road to Glory video or whatever it was called which started with the loss to Forest that relegated us. Just surprised you said 1989 was part of the best years as I imagine that Forest game must have been one of the most horrific

Not as horrific as what's happening now under DC