Stoke -V- Wednesday OMDT

Thompson's substitution cost us tonight, to replace Dunkley with a league 2 player and push a midfielder into defence completely unbalanced the team and left us trying to hang on. Tonight was Thompsons fault 100% Just replaceable  defender a with defender it's not that difficult 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Guest Bulgaria
9 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

On the plus side, at least I don’t have to listen to those two morons from Radio Stoke waffling on any more

They were the main entertainment for me.

Tim Lee's and Michael Fox!!!

I mean.... That's their job FFS!!!

We never looked like getting into the game.  Right team but wrong setup.  Playing both wingers as full backs gave us no real outlet.  Constantly play all our forward balls high onto their giant back 4 was a total waste if time...,didn’t stop us doing it for the whole game.  Harris and reach were never able to get a run at their defence because they were too deep.  Boring game, very boring commentators who could get players, even their own, names right.  So frustrating, so boring, so predictable and so inevitable.  For a team desperate for points we had no urgency, no ideas, no flair and no chance.

The team look dazed at times - confused as what to do. Happened many this and previous seasons.

But it's the gradual erosion of general quality that will make our survival very tough. Too many poor players brought into the club.

I like Shaw, but he just ambles around, plays short balls then hides. There was a point in the 2nd half we had 2 players in the box on a break and the cross was headed out to the edge of the box - all the midfield were around the half way line, and Stole simply collected the ball and started an attack.

We show little intent and consequently will always struggle to score.

2 minutes ago, bubbleowl said:

Thompson's substitution cost us tonight, to replace Dunkley with a league 2 player and push a midfielder into defence completely unbalanced the team and left us trying to hang on. Tonight was Thompsons fault 100% Just replaceable  defender a with defender it's not that difficult 

We lost power in the air at the back

It was the second half I expected really. We don’t have another gear to shift into whereas Stoke, even though they looked poor had more than enough to beat us really but made heavy weather of it. Despite it all we still could have nicked a point in the last min.

I don’t feel disheartened particularly. 
Thompson can only work with what he’s got and isn’t making terrible mistakes. It’s just we don’t really have the players to do any better. 
The big game is Saturday. These away games against top half teams are a ‘shot to nothing’ for us. It would be unrealistic to expect to win more than one in three or four of them. 
If we let Brum win it is a real lost opportunity so we just have to dust ourselves down and get ready for Saturday.

• Like 1

If we go down it will be because we deserve to.

Tonight we were decent defensively but dreadful in midfield and... I was going to say attack but it wasn't worthy of the name.

These are the games that drive me up the wall. I knew we would have a mare when most fans were very pleased by the team we put out. We do much better when we think the players picked are rubbish.

It isn't easy being an Owls fan.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Freshfish said:

He made the two subs decisions that were inexplicable. Cost is the game. One point would have been ok. I'm still sat here shaking my head and wondering wtf went through his mind. 

Do you genuinely think they cost us the game? I’d have taken off Patterson personally, probably for Windass but don’t think it would have helped us score really. 
With the Dunkley swap I think he was getting a bit ragged and needed to come off. I’d be surprised if we aren’t told he was taken off because he felt a niggle or something. 
I got the feeling that whatever changes we made a Stoke goal looked very likely as the half went on. 

Yep. Pellupessy and Bannan...I would love to see the stats but it fails regularly and has done for 3 seasons. Dunkley ... had the height and experience. Bring Bonnar on. I'm still not sure wtf makes any manager do that ...just weird. Oh and Rhodes should have stayed on. 

If Stoke's players were ours, and our players were theirs, and we were at home then we'd expect to win.

Looking at the two squads you'd expect a team like Stoke's to beat a team like ours.

We finished in 17th place last season, only 7 points above the drop zone.

Are we a better outfit than last season?

I'd say not.

So even if we're no worse this season, subtract six points and it puts us a point above the relegation places.

1 minute ago, victorturner said:

We lost power in the air at the back

Boner on the bench, like I said it's not rocket science. The minute he made that disastrous change Thompson cost us any chance of winning that game. I thought in the first half Stoke were there for the taking, but the poor tactics gave them the advantage 

• Like 2