How Thompson got Rhodes scoring again

Just now, FreshOwl said:

There was an interesting discussion on BT Sport the other night about strikers who score 1 in 3 or 1 in 2, but offer nothing else to the team aside from occasionally scoring, and how that type of striker is becoming extinct.

They're only becoming extinct because managers are over complicating things and copying each other so it's the latest fad

In reality what will happen is this fad will die out and then guess what?

It'll become fashionable to have two strikers up front scoring one in three again

And I tell you this now for free - if we had two strikers scoring 1 in 2 or 1 in 3 this season all season we'd not just be safe we'd be promoted

But yeah we just have to sit this current fad out

• Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

They're only becoming extinct because managers are over complicating things and copying each other so it's the latest fad

It'll become fashionable to have two strikers up front scoring one in three again

And I tell you this now for free - if we had two strikers scoring 1 in 2 or 1 in 3 this season all season we'd not just be safe we'd be promoted

Agreed. 

Playing two up top allows one to drop deep and operate as a false 9 

The other can manoeuvre around the penalty box (that player being Rhodes)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grandad said:

Exactly

Rhodes has not been the problem

We've paid £10m for an asset and not utilised it for 4 years. A criminal waste

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Yep

Just needs service

But not the hoof up front to target man to hold it up type service

And not a cross coming in after the winger has dallied about with it until all the defenders are back type service

Good old fashioned 80's style early cross whipped in style service where the ball gets delivered before the defence gets back, and where the ball drops in front of the striker and behind the defender

£10m for a player who needs it serving up on a plate to be effective and for the football to be played in the style of a bygone era seems excessive though. 

19 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

There was an interesting discussion on BT Sport the other night about strikers who score 1 in 3 or 1 in 2, but offer nothing else to the team aside from occasionally scoring, and how that type of striker is becoming extinct.

I think we’re seeing that awareness in Jordan as he is dropping much deeper to get involved in the game and link up play 

That’s probably where his struggles come from as he is used to just being a fox in the box 

But if he wants to maintain relevancy he has to adapt his game, and he seems to be taking that onboard 

It was on Sky mate.  I saw it also.  

It's not just putting crosses.

The quality and variation on those crosses has been far better of late. 

Harris being a prime example. 

He's stopped trying to beat his man to the byline eveytime and started playing with his head up to see his options and pick the best one. 

For me, that's got to be down to Thompson. 

Edited by Errol Flashman
Typo
  • Like 2

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

41 minutes ago, parajack said:

Unnecessary ,and waste of time...teams just push up,& put us under pressure,  ROUTE 1 ball forward to Wing backs to run with & cross & than get as many on the end in the box to compete...

Rinse & repeat,defend our goal in their half,by competing and putting constant pressure on the opponent.....(& dont change if we score,keep going....)

Focus on trying to win corners,free kicks,& throw ins...if the ball doesn't lead to a goal scoring chance....(and do something with them!!!)

Surely that just limits your scoring options? There is an argument that maybe we don’t have the right movement up front, but that’s a different issue We don’t score enough goals, why? Because of the quality of our strikers, or because our tactics are too limiting?

Guest Smackavolley

I'd wait a little longer to pass judgement. I hear he's a first class pro but he's recently only scored two goals. He's not on some remarkable run and one of those goals was against a team that is bottom and will finish bottom. Let's hope this Jordan Rhodes is a new version who has tweaked his game a little and the team are setup to play more to his strengths.

Don't forget he's in the shop window as well. Seen many a player put a shift in for 15/20 games to win a new contract somewhere. 

26 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Surely that just limits your scoring options? There is an argument that maybe we don’t have the right movement up front, but that’s a different issue We don’t score enough goals, why? Because of the quality of our strikers, or because our tactics are too limiting?

Easy,

(1) we dont get enough balls into strikers

(2) not enough shots on target at goal...

Thats why i said route one..to remedy

Edited by parajack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Same as notion that playing out from the back is 'proper' football,but direct isnt.....

17 minutes ago, parajack said:

Easy,

(1) we dont get enough balls into strikers

(2) not enough shots on target at goal...

Thats why i said route one..to remedy

Still too limiting. What percentage of goals in our division are headers? We need to investigate other ways of creating and scoring goals

4 hours ago, Devonstrix said:

The renaissance of Jordan Rhodes under NT is very encouraging and I actually hope NT keeps the job now. Last thing we need is some new manager coming in and deciding Jordan is too much of a luxury, as other so-called knowledgeable managers have done. 

I’m delighted for Rhodes and hope he gets into double figures before the end of the season. 

Not sure a couple of goals can be classed as a renaissance. Let’s give him a longer run this time and see if he maintains the momentum he’s building up.

• Like 1