How Thompson got Rhodes scoring again

35 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

You sure it’s not the other way round?

Consider the two recent beauts v Wycombe and Bournemouth.

Consider Rhodes in the box, but instead of Harris crossing early on his right foot, it’s Palmer, or it’s Reach who brings it back onto his left foot. Do either result in a chance, let alone scalpel-cut goals?

Because thats how we’ve played for a while. What chance does any striker have when the final ball is delayed, non-existent or poor?

The key is putting our two fine attacking wide players on their correct wing.

Reach to OG v QPR from left

Harris to Paterson v Brentford from right

Reach to Windass at Norwich from left 

Reach to Paterson v Reading from left

Harris to Rhodes v Bournemouth from right 

Harris to Rhodes v Wycombe from right

Six assists from their strong side.

You can’t think of a single assist from their wrong wing because they don’t exist.

I think possibly you could argue that Rhodes will be full of beans cos he’s getting quality service, but it’s more down to applying common-sense tactics than anything else.

Rhodes and Paterson will thrive if we continue this approach.

Can’t argue with this....... football now so over complicated. Nothing wrong with keeping it simple even if it’s labelled old school. 

my other pet hate is over playing at the back from goal kicks. Even the best teams in the world struggle to do it well. (Look at Alison for Liverpool against city) yet teams persist with it because its fashionable 

• Love 1

32 minutes ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

I  have seen a different Rhodes over tha last few appearances. He looks like he has spent some time in the gym and looks physically stronger. His is now looking and competing for the ball outside the box which  I feel has been lacking in the past. ( @gurujuan made the point re Billy Sharp which I feel is valid )

No - none of that

We've just been crossing the ball to him very well

Owlstalk Shop

15 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Evidence suggests that, his type of player is disappearing from the top divisions, unless those players can adapt Take Billy Sharp, a striker in a similar mould to Rhodes He’s learned to run the channels, and even drop deep to link play, playing a more active role in the attack 

There were signs of late, that Rhodes is starting to do some of that, whereas previously, he’s seen his role purely as a poacher

12 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Seen his role as a poacher?

Or instructed to play that way (much more likely)

I worked at a very large company's head office in Bradford who employed people from all over the UK.  When Rhodes was linked with us, I talked to a 'Boro fan, a Blackburn fan and many 'Udders fans.  They all said the same things about Rhodes: you're not going to get much work rate out of him so don't expect it, he's your archetypical goal poacher so everyone else plays around his strengths and he divides opinions (even at 'Udders towards the end of his stint there).  The 'Udders fans loved him, The Blackburn fan was indifferent to him, the 'Boro fan was doing backflips when he learnt we were signing him.  

I would disagree with you Nigel.  I believe that Rhodes is a goal poacher but has struggled because, firstly, he hasn't been the focus of our play and secondly, we have expected him to "muck in" with things like "holding up the ball" and "defending from the front" - these responsibilities have been made harder over the last couple of years because of the aimless "back to front" long balls tactics that we employed under Bruce, monk and Pulis. 

Rhodes has obviously had some success recently in terms of playing a little better with his back to goal and has been successful with a few "flick-ons" and has held the ball up on a couple of occasions but we shouldn't fool ourselves yet (or at all) that he has become a "Nuhiu/Fletcher" traditional centre-forward nor should we expect him to be.  The difference is that Thompson has been sensible and not employed contrived tactics but used sensible tactics that suit our team (specifically, playing to feet, getting down the sides of the opposition, and not launching the aimless long ball from back to front).  The application of these tactics has meant that there is less emphasis on the forwards to go seeking the ball, which, in turn, has lead to more opportunity for them to be in the right area when we attack.  It is no great surprise to see Rhodes convert quality crosses (we've seen him do that numerous times for other teams) but it is a surprise to firstly, see those quality crosses and for Rhodes to be in the right place to convert them because we have been more obsessed with defending than attacking.  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

No - none of that

We've just been crossing the ball to him very well

Appreciate your opinion.

They were very good crosses no doubt about that.

If you watch him over the last few games he is competing for the ball more rather than running in behind looking for the ball. I think his all round game adds more to the team when he does this.

1 minute ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Appreciate your opinion.

They were very good crosses no doubt about that.

If you watch him over the last few games he is competing for the ball more rather than running in behind looking for the ball. I think his all round game adds more to the team when he does this.

Yeah I agree with you 100%

I was just being annoying

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, gillyno9 said:

Can’t argue with this....... football now so over complicated. Nothing wrong with keeping it simple even if it’s labelled old school. 

my other pet hate is over playing at the back from goal kicks. Even the best teams in the world struggle to do it well. (Look at Alison for Liverpool against city) yet teams persist with it because its fashionable 

I think if you’ve got a Hector or a Diaz or a Ferdinand or a Van Dyke it’s great to play it out.

But if you’ve got Lees and Dunkley, admirable defenders but lousy with it at their feet, I just don’t get it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I think if you’ve got a Hector or a Diaz or a Ferdinand or a Van Dyke it’s great to play it out.

But if you’ve got Lees and Dunkley, admirable defenders but lousy with it at their feet, I just don’t get it.

Hutchinson and Iorfa can both bring the ball out from the back

2 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

going to be the Wednesday way again isn't it?

Buy a striker, don't play to his strengths for 4 years.

Finally get him scoring and he'll bugger off for nothing at the end of the season for nothing.

Plus he’d be really useful in League One, a division where that type of player can still thrive

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Five of our best players should have their position nailed on till May.

Reach LWB

Harris RWB

Bannan central

Paterson & Rhodes up front

They don’t break down, they are never less than good, and played in those positions we create and score.

Nobody should be made to feel they can take their place for granted and they must earn it on an ongoing basis. And the schedule means that some rotation will be necessary even if everyone is available. But I take your point. These players have all been doing the business lately and on balance are probably the best options we have in their respective positions at the moment.

• Like 1

There was an interesting discussion on BT Sport the other night about strikers who score 1 in 3 or 1 in 2, but offer nothing else to the team aside from occasionally scoring, and how that type of striker is becoming extinct.

I think we’re seeing that awareness in Jordan as he is dropping much deeper to get involved in the game and link up play 

That’s probably where his struggles come from as he is used to just being a fox in the box 

But if he wants to maintain relevancy he has to adapt his game, and he seems to be taking that onboard 

39 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Hutchinson and Iorfa can both bring the ball out from the back

Unnecessary ,and waste of time...teams just push up,& put us under pressure,  ROUTE 1 ball forward to Wing backs to run with & cross & than get as many on the end in the box to compete...

Rinse & repeat,defend our goal in their half,by competing and putting constant pressure on the opponent.....(& dont change if we score,keep going....)

Focus on trying to win corners,free kicks,& throw ins...if the ball doesn't lead to a goal scoring chance....(and do something with them!!!)