How Thompson got Rhodes scoring again

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's been a tough time for Jordan but we had a conversation a couple of weeks ago and I just wanted him to get back involved.

He showed his appetite for it against Bournemouth and at Wycombe.

We put balls into the box and I thought it was the law of averages that he was going to get one (goal).

He always applies himself really well. He's probably added a little bit of aggression. Long may that continue.

Yes, I think a lot of the credit goes to Rhodes At long last, he is starting to adapt his game to the requirements of the modern game. Most clubs can no longer carry a poacher at this level

• Haha 2

Guest Grandad
3 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Five of our best players should have their position nailed on till May.

Reach LWB

Harris RWB

Bannan central

Paterson & Rhodes up front

They don’t break down, they are never less than good, and played in those positions we create and score.

100%

Guest Grandad
Just now, @owlstalk said:

More like we've adapted to his strengths and play early crosses into the box

Exactly

Rhodes has not been the problem

We've paid £10m for an asset and not utilised it for 4 years. A criminal waste

6 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Exactly

Rhodes has not been the problem

We've paid £10m for an asset and not utilised it for 4 years. A criminal waste

Evidence suggests that, his type of player is disappearing from the top divisions, unless those players can adapt Take Billy Sharp, a striker in a similar mould to Rhodes He’s learned to run the channels, and even drop deep to link play, playing a more active role in the attack 

There were signs of late, that Rhodes is starting to do some of that, whereas previously, he’s seen his role purely as a poacher

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest Grandad
2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Evidence suggests that, his type of player is disappearing from the top divisions, unless those players can adapt Take Billy Sharp, a striker in a similar mould to Rhodes He’s learned to run the channels, and even drop deep to link play, playing a more active role in the attack 

There were signs of late, that Rhodes is starting to do some of that, whereas previously, he’s seen his role purely as a poacher

Seen his role as a poacher?

Or instructed to play that way (much more likely)

Just now, Grandad said:

Seen his role as a poacher?

Or instructed to play that way (much more likely)

Bang on

Like when some of our fans don't understand football and criticise Barry Bannan for playing far too deep (he's not playing far too deep - that's literally his position now) and not realising that he's being told where to play by the manager and isn't just wandering back there every single game out of his own idea

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Grandad
2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

If Hutch was less fragile then he would be a permanent fixture too.

Westwood 100% too.

Don't you go upsetting Neil 

You sure it’s not the other way round?

Consider the two recent beauts v Wycombe and Bournemouth.

Consider Rhodes in the box, but instead of Harris crossing early on his right foot, it’s Palmer, or it’s Reach who brings it back onto his left foot. Do either result in a chance, let alone scalpel-cut goals?

Because thats how we’ve played for a while. What chance does any striker have when the final ball is delayed, non-existent or poor?

The key is putting our two fine attacking wide players on their correct wing.

Reach to OG v QPR from left

Harris to Paterson v Brentford from right

Reach to Windass at Norwich from left 

Reach to Paterson v Reading from left

Harris to Rhodes v Bournemouth from right 

Harris to Rhodes v Wycombe from right

Six assists from their strong side.

You can’t think of a single assist from their wrong wing because they don’t exist.

I think possibly you could argue that Rhodes will be full of beans cos he’s getting quality service, but it’s more down to applying common-sense tactics than anything else.

Rhodes and Paterson will thrive if we continue this approach.

Totally agree, something myself and a few others (yourself included) have been saying for a long time now

• Like 1

You sure it’s not the other way round?

Consider the two recent beauts v Wycombe and Bournemouth.

Consider Rhodes in the box, but instead of Harris crossing early on his right foot, it’s Palmer, or it’s Reach who brings it back onto his left foot. Do either result in a chance, let alone scalpel-cut goals?

Because thats how we’ve played for a while. What chance does any striker have when the final ball is delayed, non-existent or poor?

The key is putting our two fine attacking wide players on their correct wing.

Reach to OG v QPR from left

Harris to Paterson v Brentford from right

Reach to Windass at Norwich from left 

Reach to Paterson v Reading from left

Harris to Rhodes v Bournemouth from right 

Harris to Rhodes v Wycombe from right

Six assists from their strong side.

You can’t think of a single assist from their wrong wing because they don’t exist.

I think possibly you could argue that Rhodes will be full of beans cos he’s getting quality service, but it’s more down to applying common-sense tactics than anything else.

Rhodes and Paterson will thrive if we continue this approach.

I agree with getting crosses in early, and wide players being on their correct side. However, although we are all obsessed with that way of playing, in reality, goals are scored from a variety of situations 

By focussing on just the one aspect of attacking play, we limit our attacking ambitions. 

23 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Five of our best players should have their position nailed on till May.

Reach LWB

Harris RWB

Bannan central

Paterson & Rhodes up front

They don’t break down, they are never less than good, and played in those positions we create and score.

While I see where your coming from we have to be realistic. 

With Rhodes we’re gonna cross the ball by the looks of it so yes I agree play him until may if that is our tactic. There will be games where we need more pace up front so windass or Marriot may partner him but in the main it will be Paterson.

However it’s the wingbacks that I think we can’t nail them down. In games where we’re going to have more of the ball like the other day and we can afford to attack more yes Harris and Reach are the men. However in other games like this weekend where we’re going to have less of the ball I think Penney and Palmer will be used. 

While we’re playing 3 at the back Bannan can’t play anywhere else. Just needs the right people around him Hutch/Luongo and Shaw.

The renaissance of Jordan Rhodes under NT is very encouraging and I actually hope NT keeps the job now. Last thing we need is some new manager coming in and deciding Jordan is too much of a luxury, as other so-called knowledgeable managers have done. 

I’m delighted for Rhodes and hope he gets into double figures before the end of the season. 

• Like 1