How Thompson got Rhodes scoring again

1 minute ago, A12owl said:

As much has the penny has dropped with the manager. After 4? Inept managers not being able to JR's strength. 

He never has had the service he needs since he's been here. His confidence has been shot by successive managers who never did get the best out of him. JR has been the subject of a lot of undeserved criticism as the tactics played didn't suit his best attributes. 

At last we have a coach who knows how to provide the ammunition for him. 

I think you are right, in so much as Thompson will manage to get something out of him 

It will be a case of needs must though, Thompson’s development sides play a passing game, but he maybe doesn’t have the players to play that way, especially up front

2 minutes ago, A12owl said:

I think Rhodes and Reach are players who need the right treatment by a coach. Both are very experienced players and probably got disheartened by the actions and tactics of the last 2 managers. 

Thompson seems have very quickly got the respect of the players and seem to have found their mojo which GM and TP shot to bits. 

Being a youth coach Thompson must have the right way to get the best from younger players. He's an honest no bu**sh*t type of Yorkshireman. 

Neil Thompson.. He's one of our own. 

Absolutely, that definitely seems to be one of the coaches strengths, quietly going about his business, encouraging all the players in the squad He’s also a decent tactician from what I can see

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Looked at from the position we are in, they look like our best pairing As strikers at this level go though, they are extremely poor 

If we maintain our championship status, we will need far far better, if we are not to be involved in another relegation struggle Drop down to League One, and we might just get away with it

They don't have to be really good, just really effective. How many goals have they both got now under Thompson. Five is it.? 

If we play a style that suits them then all of a sudden they become some of the better strikers in the division.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

They don't have to be really good, just really effective. How many goals have they both got now under Thompson. Five is it.? 

If we play a style that suits them then all of a sudden they become some of the better strikers in the division.

Yes, if they can be effective, that’s about the best we can hope for Pushing it a bit to think they could be some of the better strikers in the division Certainly no Ivan Toney, or Lucas Joao

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Yes, if they can be effective, that’s about the best we can hope for Pushing it a bit to think they could be some of the better strikers in the division Certainly no Ivan Toney, or Lucas Joao

Joao wasn't one of them last season was he. He has turned himself into one, same as Toney by being in teams that suit the way they like to play. 

If Rhodes and Paterson play 15 games between now and the end of the season as a partnership and score 25 goals between they will be labeled.the best strike force in the division. Whether they merit it on paper or not.

• Like 1

Guest domSWFC

I think if Rhodes can get another couple of goals in the next 3 games he'll soon be back to the player we all know he can be. 

Against Wycombe that sharpness and movement was back. It's been missing from his game for so long, probably due to him knowing the ball wasn't going to come. 

22 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I agree with getting crosses in early, and wide players being on their correct side. However, although we are all obsessed with that way of playing, in reality, goals are scored from a variety of situations 

By focussing on just the one aspect of attacking play, we limit our attacking ambitions. 

I think both you and @Holmowlare right. It’s a combination of both factors.

Getting early quality crosses into the box from players playing on their stronger foot (Reach on the left, Harris on the right) has definitely played a big part.

Equally “Rhodesy” has looked a lot, dare i say it, hungrier or as Thommo says added  some aggression to his game.

• Like 2

On 11/02/2021 at 09:20, Grandad said:

Exactly

Rhodes has not been the problem

We've paid £10m for an asset and not utilised it for 4 years. A criminal waste

Rhodes has not shown enough aggression at times either and missed good chances it’s not just everyone else’s fault. 

But the last two goals look like the Rhodes we have come up against in the past. 

• Like 1

Just have a look at this, 2 goals for Rhodes doing what we've done for the last 2 games. Balls into the box and Rhodes finished them off.

It's not rocket science, that's how Rhodes is most effective, so plat to his strengths and we might just get the glimpse of the most prolific striker the championship has ever seen. 

Also seeing a bit of the other work that Rhodes does. The block at the end to stop a decent shot on goal, the holding the ball up/nodding down from long balls. 

I'm convinced that player is still in there, just needs the service to get him back out and full of confidence!

Other things to take from this game though, Bannan being Bannan, sprinting all over, winning the ball back all over and spraying passes all over. 

Hutchinson running full pelt for what could be seen as a lost cause, putting Ruddy under pressure and creating Wallace's chance to score, great finish by the way! 

Forestieri causing problems every time he got the ball, and corners that made chances rather that hitting the first man. 

The team playing for each other, every player celebrating every goal, and seem to be enjoying their football. 

We had the side there to challenge for promotion, and if not then at least the building blocks to make changes to the side to improve and challenge again next year. 

Its sad to see that this was only a few years ago and how much has changed since then. 

Wednesday 5-1 Norwich

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sambo89 said:

Just have a look at this, 2 goals for Rhodes doing what we've done for the last 2 games. Balls into the box and Rhodes finished them off.

It's not rocket science, that's how Rhodes is most effective, so plat to his strengths and we might just get the glimpse of the most prolific striker the championship has ever seen. 

Also seeing a bit of the other work that Rhodes does. The block at the end to stop a decent shot on goal, the holding the ball up/nodding down from long balls. 

I'm convinced that player is still in there, just needs the service to get him back out and full of confidence!

Other things to take from this game though, Bannan being Bannan, sprinting all over, winning the ball back all over and spraying passes all over. 

Hutchinson running full pelt for what could be seen as a lost cause, putting Ruddy under pressure and creating Wallace's chance to score, great finish by the way! 

Forestieri causing problems every time he got the ball, and corners that made chances rather that hitting the first man. 

The team playing for each other, every player celebrating every goal, and seem to be enjoying their football. 

We had the side there to challenge for promotion, and if not then at least the building blocks to make changes to the side to improve and challenge again next year. 

Its sad to see that this was only a few years ago and how much has changed since then. 

Wednesday 5-1 Norwich

Well said matr

I just totally ignore the views of people criticising Jordan now if I’m honest 

It’s obvious he’s a class player and just needs early crosses to land in front of him

👍

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Thats Inspired me to create a list of posts that people make that are now pure cliche

eg ‘playing for a new contract’ if a player has a good game towards the end of their contract

’another stick to beat the club with’ if someone posts that we have a six point deduction or have sold our own stadium 

‘grown men buying football shirts’ if anyone ever mentions a football club’s replica shirts 

etc

I will do a full list later in a new thread 

I might even turn them into buttons that people who can’t think independently for themselves can press it and then they don’t even have to type it out 

Then their mates can come on and press the same button just because they did too

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Thats Inspired me to create a list of posts that people make that are now pure cliche

eg ‘playing for a new contract’ if a player has a good game towards the end of their contract

’another stick to beat the club with’ if someone posts that we have a six point deduction or have sold our own stadium 

‘grown men buying football shirts’ if anyone ever mentions a football club’s replica shirts 

etc

I will do a full list later in a new thread 

Good idea 

I really hope penny has finally dropped with the management, that we are a better team with Rhodes playing than when he’s on the bench.

He’s started 4 times all season. When we subbed him these were the scores:-

2-0 up v Cardiff

0-0 v Watford

1-0 up v Swansea

2-0 up v Wycombe

We’ve farted around trying Kachunga, Windass and Marriott in preference to Rhodes. Shocking management. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1