How Thompson got Rhodes scoring again

Getting the ball out wide ...lashing in decent crosses, doing it quickly and direct, not floatylight stuff, creates opportunities for strikers who know they don't have to wait but can anticipate and get into the box. Doing that also creates chances not from just the crosses ..as we saw on Tuesday because defenders have to make split second decisions that will generally come out to our midfield. It's when we slow it down or just fire long Pulis balls forward that has messed up things because it allows the opposition to actually have time to think. 

With decent service Rhodes will score as will our other forwards and defenders ...because we won't be fooooking defending deep for the best part of 80 minutes in every game: 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

It's been a tough time for Jordan but we had a conversation a couple of weeks ago and I just wanted him to get back involved.

He showed his appetite for it against Bournemouth and at Wycombe.

We put balls into the box and I thought it was the law of averages that he was going to get one (goal).

He always applies himself really well. He's probably added a little bit of aggression. Long may that continue.

Yep, i mean - how has it taken 4 years to finally work this out? To be fair, before pulis we had Fletcher keeping rhodes out the team meaning he never got a fair run in the team. 

23 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Still too limiting. What percentage of goals in our division are headers? We need to investigate other ways of creating and scoring goals

Doent have to be a header,winning a header ,yes,but knocked down for a shot,or win a penalty for a rash challenge,etc...

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

It's been a tough time for Jordan but we had a conversation a couple of weeks ago and I just wanted him to get back involved.

He showed his appetite for it against Bournemouth and at Wycombe.

We put balls into the box and I thought it was the law of averages that he was going to get one (goal).

He always applies himself really well. He's probably added a little bit of aggression. Long may that continue.

"So what's the problem jordy".

"Well gaffer it's like this, made for life mate, why should I bother".

"What about Wednesday fans"?

"Yeh, your right, ok I'll put a shift in till end of Season ".

"Thanks Jordy, fans will be grateful,  you're all heart".

"Yeh, that's me guv, any chance of asking Chancy for more money, spent loads on new houses for family and stuff".

"Can't say mate but I'm sure you could screw him for a bit more".

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Now let's say that's correct

Imagine spending ten million pounds and then not serving it up on a plate for him

lol

maybe you'd need to spend £10m on every player that you need/expect to serve it on a plate for him

Try selling that to DC :Chansiri:

3 hours ago, 0742 said:

£10m for a player who needs it serving up on a plate to be effective and for the football to be played in the style of a bygone era seems excessive though. 

Which football most resembles a bygone era? The defensive tripe and long hopeful punts served up by Monk and Pulis, or the more adventurous twin-striker get it in early from good wingers we saw the other night?

I enjoyed Tuesday more than any of our games for seasons. It was genuinely thrilling.

It happens to suit us, and in particular it suits a penalty box striker like Rhodes.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Which football most resembles a bygone era? The defensive tripe and long hopeful punts served up by Monk and Pulis, or the more adventurous twin-striker get it in early from good wingers we saw the other night?

I enjoyed Tuesday more than any of our games for seasons. It was genuinely thrilling.

It happens to suit us, and in particular it suits a penalty box striker like Rhodes.

We were playing Wycombe, who have 16 points so far this season. 

Long may this run continue, but let's at least hold to some form of reality. 

Rhodes scores 2 goals, which he's taken well and people are clambering to absolve him of any fault whatsoever. Let's not forget the Norwich team he played in and yet he still only managed 6 goals. 

Again, long may his fine run of form continue, but let's not get carried away. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Bygone era??  so every side has to be Real Madrid?  different styles of football make the game more interesting...and done well,direct football is both exciting and effective.....

Its only 'bygone' because the latest fashion is to **** about passing backwards & sideways when you run out of idea's..wasnt bygone when Millwall turned us over was it?

40 minutes ago, parajack said:

Bygone era??  so every side has to be Real Madrid?  different styles of football make the game more interesting...and done well,direct football is both exciting and effective.....

Its only 'bygone' because the latest fashion is to **** about passing backwards & sideways when you run out of idea's..wasnt bygone when Millwall turned us over was it?

Tactics are created in response to tactics.

"Inverting the pyramid" is a fascinating read, and was written when the 4-2-3-1 (or similar with or without a "false nine" was *the* formation to play).

Essentially predicted the one to outwit the 4-2-3-1 would be the 3-5-2 that we've seen incorporated in recent years.

The next tactical step will again be in response to negating the 3-5-2. It's all cyclical.

Managers playing fashionable formations because other clubs do won't result in success, completely agree. It's those who come up with ways to overcome it.

• Like 2

His goal against Bournemouth was exceptional his one against Wycombe just a regular finish but still dispatched well , later in the game Bannan put a lovely ball for JR to finish that he didn’t get any where near , let’s see what he is like against Swansea and the like before we are making him immortal, I am not convinced but here’s hoping. 

Just now, hugeowl said:

His goal against Bournemouth was exceptional his one against Wycombe just a regular finish but still dispatched well , later in the game Bannan put a lovely ball for JR to finish that he didn’t get any where near , let’s see what he is like against Swansea and the like before we are making him immortal, I am not convinced but here’s hoping. 

*child starts to walk*
*dad says 'yeah son you took a step but I doubt you'll ever impress me*

Owlstalk Shop

15 minutes ago, aussieowl87 said:

Tactics are created in response to tactics.

"Inverting the pyramid" is a fascinating read, and was written when the 4-2-3-1 (or similar with or without a "false nine" was *the* formation to play).

Essentially predicted the one to outwit the 4-2-3-1 would be the 3-5-2 that we've seen incorporated in recent years.

The next tactical step will again be in response to negating the 3-5-2. It's all cyclical.

Managers playing fashionable formations because other clubs do won't result in success, completely agree. It's those who come up with ways to overcome it.

These systems, and tactics are just one part of the story. In recent years, the quality in the championship has improved dramatically In fact, as a nation, we are now producing players who are comfortable on the ball. No surprise that British players, especially the younger ones, are sought after by the top clubs in Europe. This is a good thing no? We don’t need managers who are looking to set this process back, we have to continue looking to improve our players. 

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

More like we've adapted to his strengths and play early crosses into the box

Bonkers isnt it? 

We've had how many managers struggle to realise this? 

Yet us mugs up in the stands and sat at home have said just this for about 4 years now.

Seems NT is the only one who actually thought about having a chat to him and asking his wide players to get plenty crosses in, rather than pretend he can play like bloody Harry Kane.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 0742 said:

Rhodes scores 2 goals, which he's taken well and people are clambering to absolve him of any fault whatsoever. Let's not forget the Norwich team he played in and yet he still only managed 6 goals. 

He scored six goals in 1000 minutes. Goal every 166 mins!

1 hour ago, hugeowl said:

Of course, but when he does go a few games without scoring fans need to cut him slack.

Windass hasn’t scored for 9 games.

Kachunga hasn’t scored in 18

Marriott hasn’t scored in 8

Edited by Holmowl

34 minutes ago, A12owl said:

The Scousers have done well with 2 of the best full backs in the PL. 

If we can pepper the 6yd area from wide players either wingers or full backs then Rhodes will get to the ball. He creates himself space by making short runs into a space. He's also brave with his heading. 

Feed the beast and he will score. 

Good luck for the rest of the season JR 

Liverpool’s front three are constantly on the move, and will always look to win the ball back if they lose it. They couldn’t carry a striker like Rhodes. Having said that, as I’ve mentioned earlier, I think the penny has finally dropped with Jordan, with his last few performances, being much more of what’s needed

3 hours ago, 0742 said:

Sure I saw a stat after Rhodes’ loan spell at Norwich which has him down for a goal every 161 minutes (from memory). Not bad at all.

49 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Of course, but when he does go a few games without scoring fans need to cut him slack.

Windass hasn’t scored for 9 games.

Kachunga hasn’t scored in 18

Marriott hasn’t scored in 8

Or finish up on the bench like those 3 

Paterson is a key for me, as much as Thompson giving us better balance as a team, utilising players in their stronger positions and getting crosses in from wide areas. I think Paterson's arguably been one of our stand out players and one of our smartest signings.

Paterson's ability to do the ugly things, to make the opposition defenders work hard and to pop up with ugly goals, has made him an invaluable first team player for us. Paterson and Rhodes have the makings of a decent partnership, if we continue to fight as a team, continue playing as a more balanced side and getting crosses and support to our front players.

I too think Thompson's done enough to merit the job, at least till the end of the season and hope he gets the job. Hopefully Paterson and Rhodes keep picking up the goals to help us stay up because if they do, we got a decent chance of staying up, after looking dead and buried before Thompson took temporary control. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Paterson is a key for me, as much as Thompson giving us better balance as a team, utilising players in their stronger positions and getting crosses in from wide areas. I think Paterson's arguably been one of our stand out players and one of our smartest signings.

Paterson's ability to do the ugly things, to make the opposition defenders work hard and to pop up with ugly goals, has made him an invaluable first team player for us. Paterson and Rhodes have the makings of a decent partnership, if we continue to fight as a team, continue playing as a more balanced side and getting crosses and support to our front players.

I too think Thompson's done enough to merit the job, at least till the end of the season and hope he gets the job. Hopefully Paterson and Rhodes keep picking up the goals to help us stay up because if they do, we got a decent chance of staying up, after looking dead and buried before Thompson took temporary control. 

Looked at from the position we are in, they look like our best pairing As strikers at this level go though, they are extremely poor 

If we maintain our championship status, we will need far far better, if we are not to be involved in another relegation struggle Drop down to League One, and we might just get away with it