Tony Pulis post match comments

Guest Bulgaria

The squad is capable of beating teams in this division, we have proved that.

Last Saturday against the league leaders we were rather good for 80 mins.

I've no doubt whatsoever that the players are getting as pissed off as us fans about the lack of attacking ideas, this is all down to the coach and his tactics. I thought Tone was a good appointment for our situation, but last night watching that abomination has me wondering.

We must be the only team who goes 2-0 down and then offers no threat.

The only team that goes down to ten men and switches off, other teams get harder to beat, more resilient, not us.

The only team who when losing shows absolutely no energy, desire or effort in the last 15 minutes to try and score, just plod along with resignation that we are going to lose anyway.

I am sick of watching these numbskulls because I know they are capable of much more.

And Tone, we need to score goals mate, I ain't got any coaching badges but when we are 2-0 down with 15 to play, may I suggest you bring on attacking players, move further up the pitch and give it a go? 

Last night in my view was much worse than Rotherham.

Brian Laws summed it up last night early in 2nd half, on ifollow, when he said we might as well go for it and lose 5-3, as 2-0.   

We had 3 ex Town forwards on the bench, all no doubt busting a gut to show what they could do.  Katchunga Brown Rhodes.   

Yet we spent first 30 minutes with a ten man defence and just Windass on his own up front.  

We need wins, not draws.  

We should have paired Rhodes and Windass in my opinion, with Brown in support.  

3 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

The squad is capable of beating teams in this division, we have proved that.

Last Saturday against the league leaders we were rather good for 80 mins.

I've no doubt whatsoever that the players are getting as pissed off as us fans about the lack of attacking ideas, this is all down to the coach and his tactics. I thought Tone was a good appointment for our situation, but last night watching that abomination has me wondering.

We must be the only team who goes 2-0 down and then offers no threat.

The only team that goes down to ten men and switches off, other teams get harder to beat, more resilient, not us.

The only team who when losing shows absolutely no energy, desire or effort in the last 15 minutes to try and score, just plod along with resignation that we are going to lose anyway.

I am sick of watching these numbskulls because I know they are capable of much more.

And Tone, we need to score goals mate, I ain't got any coaching badges but when we are 2-0 down with 15 to play, may I suggest you bring on attacking players, move further up the pitch and give it a go? 

Last night in my view was much worse than Rotherham.

Thanks Bulgaria. Saved me typing the same thoughts!

There doesn’t seem to have been much scrutiny of the lack of making an attacking change in the game. 

Even when new attackers were brought on others were taken off. It was proper crazy. 2-0 Down with 15 mins left and we don’t even throw on more attacking players. 

Kachunga and Rhodes are probably worse players than Paterson and Windass so I understand the reluctance in doing a swap but put them on as well as the other two! Throw caution to the wind. No one is going to be upset if we concede again while giving it a go!

Extraordinary. 

13 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Monk's form was showing enough to keep us up when he was replaced

I was hoping the change would mean we'd move up the table and get better

We've got worse

We've actually got worse than Garry Monk

I think we are simply flat lining at the level these players are capable of. 

• Like 2

The five stages of Pulis are:

denial... He can't be as bad as we've been warned. We'll accept dire, turgid football for a bit until we're promoted.

anger.... Christ! This is far worse than I thought. We can't even get a shot on target, never mind win games 

bargaining.... But it will be ok if we can get through to January. We'll sign the players we've not been able to for the last 4 years and suddenly start winning games.

depression.... We really are that bad. Even signing a couple of journeymen nobody else wants won't make any difference. 

acceptance.....hello league 1. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

I hate the way that In every game since Pulis arrived we just let the opposition have so much of the ball. It is so negative. 

Its fair enough to let them have the ball..If we have a threat on the break,,,but we haven't...So all its doing is "letting them have the ball"

Ive never seen a Wednesday side give away so many fouls...We got lucky against Reading, Iorfa got lucky last night...None of this is "bad" luck is it?...in fact we have been relatively "Lucky"..and look where we bloody are!!!!

Its a lack of discipline, its a lack of skill...Not a one of the midfielders bar Bannan is as good as Kieron Lee with one f.ooking hip!

Wallace or Harris?..We haven't MOVED!!!

Nuhiu..Joao?...FOX!!!

Pulis has to do something radical in January

3 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

Brian Laws summed it up last night early in 2nd half, on ifollow, when he said we might as well go for it and lose 5-3, as 2-0.   

We had 3 ex Town forwards on the bench, all no doubt busting a gut to show what they could do.  Katchunga Brown Rhodes.   

Yet we spent first 30 minutes with a ten man defence and just Windass on his own up front.  

We need wins, not draws.  

We should have paired Rhodes and Windass in my opinion, with Brown in support.  

speaking of laws, The threads last night and today actually remind me of after the 4-0 thumping v Colchester under Sturrock.

In relegation zone

Terrible team

Going down

No money

Owner not popular.

Having just scraped safety the season before, many of us had lost hope we would survive.

Laws came in and we looked like world beaters for most of the rest of that season and nearly made the play offs.

It can be done,

20 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

speaking of laws, The threads last night and today actually remind me of after the 4-0 thumping v Colchester under Sturrock.

In relegation zone

Terrible team

Going down

No money

Owner not popular.

Having just scraped safety the season before, many of us had lost hope we would survive.

Laws came in and we looked like world beaters for most of the rest of that season and nearly made the play offs.

It can be done,

That was a great second half to a season. 

We came crashing back down to reality when we started the next season with 6 losses in a row. 

4 hours ago, kristmace said:

Monk got 4 points in his final 6 games.

Pulis has got 3 in his first 6. 

Neither are good enough.

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Agreed

But Pulis is doing worse than the manager he replaced which is just unforgivable given our position. 

So why were you so steadfastly behind Monk for so long but have jumped on Pulis so quickly? 

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

So why were you so steadfastly behind Monk for so long but have jumped on Pulis so quickly? 

Results mate 

If Pulis had come in and even just scraped along with the same kind of form that Monk was at when he was sacked for it I'd have been 'ok well at least we've not gone backwards and there might be hope'

I'm not against Pulis still - I just want him to stop telling us things like he will be the manager to come in and play players in their correct positions but then play players out of position, how he's the manager who's the one who's identified to us that Paterson isn't a striker but then for the next two games plays Paterson as a striker, that says some players are still injured and shouldn't even be on the pitch but then selects them for the next game only to take them off injured, how he's the one who's identified that Westwood is the one to save our goalkeeping dilemma only for it to explode massively in his face, how he promised us that he will build a team strategy and formation around the players at his disposal but then IMMEDIATELY simply puts in place his formation, tactics and strategy that he's known for

So basicaly I want Pulis to win a game and stop lying to me

That's all.

Monk was awful and should have been sacked

Pulis (so far) is way way worse

And we're running out of games/time

Owlstalk Shop

53 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Results mate 

If Pulis had come in and even just scraped along with the same kind of form that Monk was at when he was sacked for it I'd have been 'ok well at least we've not gone backwards and there might be hope'

I'm not against Pulis still - I just want him to stop telling us things like he will be the manager to come in and play players in their correct positions but then play players out of position, how he's the manager who's the one who's identified to us that Paterson isn't a striker but then for the next two games plays Paterson as a striker, that says some players are still injured and shouldn't even be on the pitch but then selects them for the next game only to take them off injured, how he's the one who's identified that Westwood is the one to save our goalkeeping dilemma only for it to explode massively in his face, how he promised us that he will build a team strategy and formation around the players at his disposal but then IMMEDIATELY simply puts in place his formation, tactics and strategy that he's known for

So basicaly I want Pulis to win a game and stop lying to me

That's all.

Monk was awful and should have been sacked

Pulis (so far) is way way worse

And we're running out of games/time

Wish I could disagree.

So far sadly Pulis is proving his many doubters right. 

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Wish I could disagree.

So far sadly Pulis is proving his many doubters right. 

I imagine that's really frustrating for those who were right behind him

And disappointing for those who thought they would put up with dire performances so long as we won and stopped up

And annoying for those who hounded Garry Monk out of the club saying 'LIterally ANY manager could walk in here and do better with this squad'

lol

I remember that last one being posted ALL. THE. TIME. in Garry Monk's final days here

Owlstalk Shop

Speaking to The Star in the moments after that sorry Huddersfield defeat, the Owls boss reiterated the need to add new faces in January.

But funds may not be as forthcoming as they once were, he said, with owner Dejphon Chansiri having suggested the big-spending days of his early years are, for now at least, a thing of the past.

Asked how many players he felt were needed, Pulis paused and said: “It's difficult stood here after that game tonight, because I might say something I shouldn't say.

“As I've said before the chairman has put a lot of money into the football club.

“If I ask him for more and more, I'm not sure that's easy. But we'll take stock.

“The transfer window over January is going to be massive for this football club.

“If you look at the depth of that squad there's players that we need to improve the first team and the whole group.

Owlstalk Shop

As a manager you have to have trust in your players to go out a do the job you require from them.

Think Pullis is quickly realising that he simply can’t trust this bunch of players to perform at the level he wants or expects.

If he isn’t backed in the January transfer window then I think he will go. 

17 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Spot on assessment. 

If we win a game I suspect it will purely down to getting the rub of the green on the day. It now feels like this squad hasn’t got a win in them. 

There are no leaders in this camp and I can’t envisage Pulis inspiring them. 

When you have a team on a losing streak the first thing to do is draw a game, then another, break the losing streak. Next, keep a clean sheet, build confidence slowly. Eventually a win will come, that boosts confidence.

Stuart Gray said something similar when he was manager here. It worked then.....

• Like 2