Tony Pulis post match comments

Just now, striker said:

I suspect players don't like defending without the ball most of the game, probably more than fans don't like watching it. 

At their heart, whatever their quality, players want to play football. It must be soul destroying to go out with the game plan we have. Even harder when your knackered or carrying a knock. 

Not excusing them, but not particularly motivational.

This is true

All those hopes and dreams of being a footballer and getting to Wembley and world cups and FA cup wins and promotion

Then you get Pulis as your manager who makes you run around like a robot in a very rigid manner and stifling all your creative happiness that you love in this game 

It’d be like going to school from Monday to Friday and all you ever did was double maths, then double maths, then double maths, then double maths 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

The beginning was hideous- I can usually laugh off how bad we are but that was offensive to us as fans rather than Huddersfield. I don’t think the focus Pulis has put on the transfer window is going to help get the best out of the squad in these critical December games. I’d hoped his experience would maximise the use of the squad we have now, not trash it.

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Great!

Bring in a new manager to improve results and morale. 

Heads down after 10 minutes against an average team. 

You cant just write it off as a bad night when we haven't won any games under him.

I can, and indeed wil,l because while there haven't been wins there have been something in which I have seem something sparkling among the dust. The other incidentals which, when they come together collectively give you that feeling of 'if these can all come together, we've got a chance."

Excepting tonight horrific game. 

I've been impressed with the way we have utilised Reach. I think he's looked far more like the player we knew he could be. He's been, in most of the games, getting into some good areas and putting in some telling delivery. 

Likewise I think there has been an improvement in Odubajo and (again previous to tonight) I think Harris had just had his best two games of the season. 

Borner had looked like his old solid self again. 

All over, I was looking, and despite the results thinking there's these different little seeds growing. 

Of course. The main problem remains, that we don't have a proper centre forward.

How we've ended up in this position when Just a year and bit ago Bruce was saying we were too top heavy....

...only Wednesday.

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Honestly?

I don’t care if we win or draw so long as we have a go, the players give their all and we go out TRYING to win

Id be totally fine with Pulis doing that 

Instead we are going out trying not to lose but leaking goals, giving up, and losing 

This is where I was when Monk was sacked. As a club, players and fans we all looked fed up with the football we had been playing so I wanted someone who would be more positive.

That's obviously why Pulis would not have been my first choice but I did at least feel like results would improve, his track record points towards that.

We can't carry on playing not to lose football and losing.

We desperately need a focal point up top but until we are able to get one Pulis needs to be making a better job of what he has to work with than Monk was - that was the whole point of making such a change at the time we did.

8 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Thats what I was saying about them being fed up already. They know you win 1-0 with Pulis or thats you done for. 

I recon its only gonna get worse aswell.

As I said earlier in the man of the match poll, or the OMDT , i forget which...

I hope it's an anomaly. But...for so many to play so poorly on the same day. 

I do wonder if something has happened.

Like they've been handed  their p60s from D-taxis on the coach on the way up and found I.O.U's or something.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

This is true

All those hopes and dreams of being a footballer and getting to Wembley and world cups and FA cup wins and promotion

Then you get Pulis as your manager who makes you run around like a robot in a very rigid manner and stifling all your creative happiness that you love in this game 

It’d be like going to school from Monday to Friday and all you ever did was double maths, then double maths, then double maths, then double maths 

There was a link to a Dave Kitson interview where he discussed Pulis, can't remember which thread but explained training. 

Basically said training just consisted of individual players being pulled around the pitch individually in various scenarios while everyone else watched. Also went on to say that he got a bollocking for wanting to do shooting practice, Pulis banned it. 

Ok, Kitson is a bit of a nob, but his recollection sounded genuine. 

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

This is true

Jamie Redknapp said a similar thing about Spurs on Sunday. 

Obviously on a totally different scale but he was questioning how much the many technically gifted Spurs players can be enjoying having no possession and working so defensively. The answer is that they have bought into Mourinho's approach on the basis of having success, time will tell if they can sustain it as Mourinho hasn't had big sustained success for a while but the results are currently justifying the approach. 

Our results on the other hand......

5 minutes ago, Chriss said:

Let’s be honest, he can only do so much if he’s dealing with flipping awful players with diminishing talent. 

If he could just do the same as Monk was doing that would be enough to buy him a bit of time 

That’s the same as Monk was doing that was so bad Monk got sacked for it 

If Pulis could even achieve that level it might just keep folk onside for a bit 

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Jamie Redknapp said a similar thing about Spurs on Sunday. 

Obviously on a totally different scale but he was questioning how much the many technically gifted Spurs players can be enjoying having no possession and working so defensively. The answer is that they have bought into Mourinho's approach on the basis of having success, time will tell if they can sustain it as Mourinho hasn't had big sustained success for a while but the results are currently justifying the approach. 

Our results on the other hand......

True 

The same thing can be said of the fans 

The majority would just about cope with negative football if it brought results every now and again 

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I can, and indeed wil,l because while there haven't been wins there have been something in which I have seem something sparkling among the dust. The other incidentals which, when they come together collectively give you that feeling of 'if these can all come together, we've got a chance."

Excepting tonight horrific game. 

I've been impressed with the way we have utilised Reach. I think he's looked far more like the player we knew he could be. He's been, in most of the games, getting into some good areas and putting in some telling delivery. 

Likewise I think there has been an improvement in Odubajo and (again previous to tonight) I think Harris had just had his best two games of the season. 

Borner had looked like his old solid self again. 

All over, I was looking, and despite the results thinking there's these different little seeds growing. 

Of course. The main problem remains, that we don't have a proper centre forward.

How we've ended up in this position when Just a year and bit ago Bruce was saying we were too top heavy....

...only Wednesday.

Tonight was an ideal opportunity for it to come together though, and we blew it big time. How many of these games can we afford to waste?

Barnsley will present a similar challenge, are we going to let them have the ball too? 

While there have been some signs of improvement we still don't look likely to score more than 1 in a game very often and if we let the opposition have all of the ball it also makes it more difficult to stop them scoring. 

I am more worried about this appointment right now than I expected to be.

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Tonight was an ideal opportunity for it to come together though, and we blew it big time. How many of these games can we afford to waste?

Barnsley will present a similar challenge, are we going to let them have the ball too? 

While there have been some signs of improvement we still don't look likely to score more than 1 in a game very often and if we let the opposition have all of the ball it also makes it more difficult to stop them scoring. 

Me too.

Mind you, I haven't really fancied us to score more than one in a game since Ross Wallace left with his ability to ping a 30 yarder in against the run of play!

3 minutes ago, Everywhere & nowhere said:

Pulis has blown a lot of his new manager bounce / benefit of the doubt capital tonight. Does anyone think Monk would have got less points in the last 6 games?

Make no mistake Monk needed to go but as you say, it's hard to imagine, in fact it's nigh on impossible that he would have got much less than 3 points from the last 6 games and the whole point of making the change that we did at the time that we did, in the position we are in, was in order to improve results. 

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Everywhere & nowhere said:

Pulis has blown a lot of his new manager bounce / benefit of the doubt capital tonight. Does anyone think Monk would have got less points in the last 6 games?

Who knows.

One thing is for sure. I am glad I haven't had to see Van Aken as right sided sweeper and Reach employed as a rugged , bruising front man again

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

Who knows.

One thing is for sure. I am glad I haven't had to see Van Aken as right sided sweeper and Reach employed as a rugged , bruising front man again

Are you happy with what Van Aken has produced where Pulis has used him, or the fact he has still used Harris down the left and Reach down the right, or what exactly he has done with Paterson at times?

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The problem is, it’s not like it was previously when Pulis was a manager. You can’t shut up shop, surrender possession, and just defend an endless stream of high balls into the box. The games moved on, teams are now content to show patience, and generally have the tools to open you up Make no mistake, Barnsley are good on the ball, certainly good enough to crack anything Pulis can put up