Pulis doing exactly what he needs to do

44 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

My last post still stands, and I stand by it

Can't have one rule for Monk and another or Pulis

I know you know this but Monk has gone. And he’s not coming back. And there have been hundreds and hundreds of posts about it! 
Your obsession with Monk (who has left) is now becoming my obsession with your obsession!
He’s gone. Please move on for your own benefit (and mine)! Let us know what you think of this thread and the OP etc. 
Not just bringing it back to Garry Monk! He’s gone.

Maybe write a book on Monk without endlessly mentioning him on Owlstalk and then publish it in time for next Christmas or something!

In the meantime let us know of what your thoughts are in this actual topic! Not just how unfair it is on Garry!

Please. No more Monk in every thread!

Unless you want to of course. I’m not the boss of you. 
But, just reflect on it a bit?

23 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

To varying degrees and for varying time lengths- Ashurst, Big Jack, Wilko, BFR, Tricky, Pleat, Sturrock, Laws, Meggy, Jones, Gray, Carlos. 

I don’t know who I would have picked to replace Monk. My dream would be someone who could galvanise the club by getting us on the front foot, wanting to play exciting football long term and instilling positivity from top to bottom - like Bielsa has done with Leeds. 

My knowledge of world  football isn’t good enough to pick someone and I would need to interview them for a definitive answer anyway. Just like I know what to look for in a pizza chef but I wouldn’t know who to replace the local chump with. 

Pulis doesn’t fit the bill for me - but each to their own. I can see entirely why people think he’s a good choice. But he wouldn’t be mine.  

I don’t have to be forced to “give him a chance” because he’s the manager and no amount of my harrumphing on here will make any difference. He’s got a lot more than just a chance. Just like years of moaning about Chansiri have done no good.  

It’s therapeutic though and I can always be ignored/blocked/ ribbed. Whatever,   Pulis has committed enough crimes against what I think is the beautiful game to never be covered by my Rehabilitation of Football Offenders Act!

Enjoy Your Football. 

Thanks for your response.

This is how I see it.

I have watched Wednesday for a similar amount of time and during this time at times we have looked like a ship where the engines have packed in and we floating along aimlessly, its like we are in a state of attrition.

When we hit this point it's like we need a manager who is stoic to start the turn around process and get the engines running again.

We were in this state when big Jack took over, he inherited a pile of rubbish and slowly with a few decent signings started moving in the right direction, this layed the foundations that Wilko and BFR built on.

Again we found ourselves in this state when Megson took over,  he brought the players in that turned the tanker around and Jones built on this. ( for a short while )

I think we are at this point at the moment, the last 12 months have been dire and I feel we need an experienced strong character to stop the rot and get us moving in the right direction.

We all want the same thing entertaining successful football.

Pulis may not be the man to take us to the promised land but he looks like he is the right type to get us moving in the right direction again.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

I will take that as a no then .

We could have had a shot on target in two of them. Relying on own goals is not going to win many games. 

You can commit men forward and create attacking options. We aren’t going to score many via individual solo brilliance.

Pulis is a defensive manager. Boro struggled to score. It’s what he does. It’s no surprise. It may work but it’s not what I go to football for.

I live in Leeds and admit I’m a bit jealous of what having the right manager and right owner can do to galvanise a club and it’s supporters. That may well colour my view but as I approach my fiftieth year of watching Wednesday I aspire to watch something great and not scruffy and that has to start sometime so why not now? It’s my opinion and I can totally see why others don’t share it. 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Hang on

When Monk was here people were screaming that he was paid big money to manage the talent he had at his disposal, that he should be doing better with it, and that he should be man managing us to a decent finish.

Can't have it one way for Monk and not for Pulis

There is a huge difference between getting draws against Stoke and Swansea like Pulis has and losing to Wycombe, Luton, Rotherham.

We should be looking to beat teams around us and getting what we can from teams at the top.  I doubt we are going to get much against Reading or Norwich, but Pulis has made us hard to beat, if you cant win the best thing you can do is not lose.

There are some winnable games in the middle of December, hopefully we can get a few players back and get a few games then.  Monk has had the chance to bring in players and we could all see where we were lacking...  Pulis has a lot of work to do because of the position Monk has left this team in.

You cant expect a turd to turn into a diamond, best that can be done is cover it so it dont stink so much...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

I think Pulis probably plays the kind of game many of us don’t mind. Athletic players, play your football in the final third, pace and strength up front.

First thing Pulis said about the strikers was that you need that strength and explosive pace. How many of us said that years ago? 

He will want tall and robust centre halves, what Carlos didn’t want but needed.

He will not rely on one defensive midfield player for an entire season. 

I think if we had this kind of manager when DC first arrived then we might’ve had a better chance of promotion. 

I liked the style under CC, we looked a quality and stylish team. But we were too soft physically and mentally. 

There will come a point where a rigid and robust team becomes stale and needs the shackles removing. But this is what we need now as a solid foundation for the future.

Weve only lost 1 in the last 5 due to a red card. But clearly draws will see us relegated. 

Yes yes YES! Nice to see someone puncturing the myth of Carlos. We played some nice stuff that first season, yes, but we lacked the ability to change it up. We lacked pace and power and were a nowhere near good enough to get past Hull and couldn't find a way through Huddersfield despite spending twice as much as them.

Where we are right now, with the players that have left and the ones that have come in, is on the rocks BIG TIME. Squad is paper thin. Injury to Luongo or Bannan and we are done. 

Pulis knows he has to find ways to score or he'll have failed. That's why he wants Iorfa and Dunkley for set pieces and Windass to play on the break. 

1 fit striker on the books and 1 on short term loan, injured. Unbelievable.

• Thanks 1

Guest whowantstoberich

Hang on

When Monk was here people were screaming that he was paid big money to manage the talent he had at his disposal, that he should be doing better with it, and that he should be man managing us to a decent finish.

Get over monk. He’s gone 

Hang on

Wasnt that last season, he brought his own people in since then. I cannot believe people are still hankering for Monk, he has to be the worst manager in my 41 years of watching Wednesdayby a mile.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

We could have had a shot on target in two of them. Relying on own goals is not going to win many games. 

You can commit men forward and create attacking options. We aren’t going to score many via individual solo brilliance.

Pulis is a defensive manager. Boro struggled to score. It’s what he does. It’s no surprise. It may work but it’s not what I go to football for.

I live in Leeds and admit I’m a bit jealous of what having the right manager and right owner can do to galvanise a club and it’s supporters. That may well colour my view but as I approach my fiftieth year of watching Wednesday I aspire to watch something great and not scruffy and that has to start sometime so why not now? It’s my opinion and I can totally see why others don’t share it. 

So again no explaining how it would be done, 

Just we should have done that or we should do this 

If it was that easy it would be a pieceofpiss  but every manager would do the same 

I think you are just a bored WUM 

1 minute ago, hugeowl said:

So again no explaining how it would be done, 

Just we should have done that or we should do this 

If it was that easy it would be a pieceofpiss  but every manager would do the same 

I think you are just a bored WUM 

A mind reader as well as tactical genius.

There are loads of ways to play football using the same players. If I had my badges I’d talk you through it. Do you think Atkinson would play how we are, or Bielsa? 

The point is every manager doesn’t play the same way. They play the game according to their own beliefs and principles. Pulis has is and all of a sudden it’s the only way. Well aren’t we the lucky ones to have him then. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

I know you know this but Monk has gone. And he’s not coming back. And there have been hundreds and hundreds of posts about it! 
Your obsession with Monk (who has left) is now becoming my obsession with your obsession!
He’s gone. Please move on for your own benefit (and mine)! Let us know what you think of this thread and the OP etc. 
Not just bringing it back to Garry Monk! He’s gone.

Maybe write a book on Monk without endlessly mentioning him on Owlstalk and then publish it in time for next Christmas or something!

In the meantime let us know of what your thoughts are in this actual topic! Not just how unfair it is on Garry!

Please. No more Monk in every thread!

Unless you want to of course. I’m not the boss of you. 
But, just reflect on it a bit?

Hang on

My posts aren’t about Monk

Theyre about double standards and hypocrisy and people saying Pulis should have different rules from previous managers 

Thats all

Nothing to do with Garry Monk

You could replace Garry Monk with any of our previous managers in our history and my posts would remain valid 

Owlstalk Shop

16 minutes ago, Owling Wolfe said:

Wasnt that last season, he brought his own people in since then. I cannot believe people are still hankering for Monk, he has to be the worst manager in my 41 years of watching Wednesdayby a mile.

Ive not seen a single person ‘hankering for Monk’

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

People want change overnight. Our players are awful, the club is well and truly shyte but I know we have someone that knows the game inside out, I can't say the same for monk. Pulis commands respect. 

He isn't a miracle worker but he'll identify exactly what he needs within the team given the time. Three games isn't enough to form an opinion on the guy, jesus christ. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Chriss said:

People want change overnight. Our players are awful, the club is well and truly shyte but I know we have someone that knows the game inside out, I can't say the same for monk. Pulis commands respect. 

He isn't a miracle worker but he'll identify exactly what he needs within the team given the time. Three games isn't enough to form an opinion on the guy, jesus christ. 

What about the last twenty odd years? 

Can you honestly say from the last 20 years we've had someone that knows the game inside out? 

Looking at the list of managers from 2000 makes me want to self harm. Pair that with no academy prospects coming through and money troubles and you've got our current situation. @rickygoo

Edited by Chriss

25 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Hang on

My posts aren’t about Monk

Theyre about double standards and hypocrisy and people saying Pulis should have different rules from previous managers 

Thats all

Nothing to do with Garry Monk

You could replace Garry Monk with any of our previous managers in our history and my posts would remain valid 

Ah well. I tried. 
The first step to solving a problem is admitting a problem. 
Denial isn’t a just river in Egypt!

Good luck with it all 👍

• Haha 1

Just now, prowl said:

I didn't realise Pulis had been here so long.

He hasn’t but it’s a clue to how he likes his teams to play. He divides opinion. I don’t see it as any surprise or a problem. He’s unapologetic about it and wouldn’t expect everybody to like it.