Pulis doing exactly what he needs to do

4 minutes ago, Chriss said:

Can you honestly say from the last 20 years we've had someone that knows the game inside out? 

Looking at the list of managers from 2000 makes me want to self harm. Pair that with no academy prospects coming through and money troubles and you've got our current situation. @rickygoo

Off the top of my head I’d say Shreeves, Jewell, Yorath, Gray, Megson, Irvine, Bruce, Jones and Sturrock all knew the game inside out. Not that they were all any good. 

I don’t know why given his reputation everyone is expected to roll over and have a Pulis tummy tickle. He’s divisive. Has been for many years. To be fair he thrives on it. Football fans disagree shock. 

46 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

He hasn’t but it’s a clue to how he likes his teams to play. He divides opinion. I don’t see it as any surprise or a problem. He’s unapologetic about it and wouldn’t expect everybody to like it. 

He's certainly his own man but that's not a bad thing.

I think every manager devides opinion. When Monk went there was no single candidate who everyone, or even a majority would accept.

Pulis is the manager for now so I'll support him, when he leave I'll support the next guy. I really don't care who the manager is, none of them stick around for long. If they are any good they get poached, if they aren't they get fired.  

9 minutes ago, prowl said:

He's certainly his own man but that's not a bad thing.

I think every manager devides opinion. When Monk went there was no single candidate who everyone, or even a majority would accept.

Pulis is the manager for now so I'll support him, when he leave I'll support the next guy. I really don't care who the manager is, none of them stick around for long. If they are any good they get poached, if they aren't they get fired.  

But the manager dictates the style of play and the personality of the team. So I regard it as important for my enjoyment of games. We’ll see I suppose. 

11 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I think back then, we didn’t know any different. As a nation, we’ve moved on from that type of football

Yeah its so much better in recent years......Howards teams played attacking,exciting,football....After us he went onto Leeds  and won the title in 92...so proving he wasnt a fluke tactically

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, parajack said:

Yeah its so much better in recent years......Howards teams played attacking,exciting,football....After us he went onto Leeds  and won the title in 92...so proving he wasnt a fluke tactically

Wilkinson was a good coach, one of the first probably, with a better tactical knowledge than most, for his time. He embraced the theory of getting the ball forward as quickly as possible, but it want really hoof ball Later clubs like Wimbledon and Cambridge turned to that way of playing, without the sophistication That was hoof ball. 
Things are much different nowadays, we (England) are starting to produce footballers who are comfortable on the ball, and can hold their own with best young players in the World It’s like as a nation, we’ve come out of the dark ages. It makes me slightly uncomfortable that we are so out of step with how things are going. As I said, it’s as if DC is being advised by someone who hasn’t watched a game for a good few years. Monk was a terrible appointment, his football was dire, and his motivational skills were non existent Have we gone further down that path with this appointment? Time will tell I suppose, but unless Pulis has added some creativity to his undoubted organisational skills, we will become even more out of step with the direction football is taking

Edited by gurujuan

Hoddle, Beardsley, Brooking,  Waddle, Barnes, Le Tissier,  Gascoigne, Rooney, both Coles, Scholes, McManaman, Giggs,  Ferdinand, Lampard  Fowler, Sheringham, Hirst. It's probably different debate but I don't buy this cobblers we've never produced technical players in this country. Older folks than me can probably reel off more.

I think it's one of the great myths. 

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

20 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Consider this. There are 24 teams in the Championship. Only three can be relegated. Therefore 21 managers will find a way to avoid relegation. Many of those managers will play a more attacking style of football. PulisBall is not the only way. 
Yesterday, Derby, Wycombe, Rovrum, Coventry all also drew. All had more possession. All had more shots. All had more shots on target. All scored. We finished the game with 3 right backs, 3 centre backs, 4 midfielders and no strikers. 

The above all have better players or at least balanced squads than us. Striking especially.

9 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Wilkinson was a good coach, one of the first probably, with a better tactical knowledge than most, for his time. He embraced the theory of getting the ball forward as quickly as possible, but it want really hoof ball Later clubs like Wimbledon and Cambridge turned to that way of playing, without the sophistication That was hoof ball. 
Things are much different nowadays, we (England) are starting to produce footballers who are comfortable on the ball, and can hold their own with best young players in the World It’s like as a nation, we’ve come out of the dark ages. It makes me slightly uncomfortable that we are so out of step with how things are going. As I said, it’s as if DC is being advised by someone who hasn’t watched a game for a good few years. Monk was a terrible appointment, his football was dire, and his motivational skills were non existent Have we gone further down that path with this appointment? Time will tell I suppose, but unless Pulis has added some creativity to his undoubted organisational skills, we will become even more out of step with the direction football is taking

HW last English Manager to win the top award with his team  1st Div League title,prior to the Premier League being formed

1 minute ago, parajack said:

HW last English Manager to win the top award with his team  1st Div League title,prior to the Premier League being formed

He adapted the way he played and recruited better players. The strength of that Leeds team was the midfield - Batty, McCallister, Speed and Strachan. 

7 hours ago, Errol Flashman said:

Hoddle, Beardsley, Brooking,  Waddle, Barnes, Le Tissier,  Gascoigne, Rooney, both Coles, Scholes, McManaman, Giggs,  Ferdinand, Lampard  Fowler, Sheringham, Hirst. It's probably different debate but I don't buy this cobblers we've never produced technical players in this country. Older folks than me can probably reel off more.

I think it's one of the great myths. 

Not really about 'technical' we have had players with skills galore,Greaves,Best, etc etc but its about playing the 'English' way...wingers,plenty of crosses into the box,free kicks,long throws,Corners...big CF and direct,with the ball forward as quickly as possible...

At our level(Championship) there are few i feel teams capable of playing flowing attacking football....

Whether Pulis is doing exactly what he needs to do depends on where you think we are headed and what foundations we want him to lay.

I watched the QPR doc on Amazon at the weekend - the one in which Warnock comes in and transforms them into a promotion winning team - doing exactly what he needed to do presumably. But ultimately what was the point?  I think Colin has taken four teams into the top division over the years which is a pretty remarkable record. But then when you look again Notts County, United and Cardiff were relegated straight away. QPR lasted two years but he was sacked in the first season. So Warnock does what he needs to do but then history says he should be sacked.

What we may need to do is hire Pulis to keep us up, sack him and get Warnock in to get us promoted, when he's done that sack him and get Pulis in again to establish us in the Premier League, then get someone like Brendan Rogers in to take us that next step up. Or we could shortcut it by identifying suitable young talent - a latter day Dyche or Howe or Rodgers to give us a bit more of a chance of achieving with just one bloke and at a club with more potential for ultimate growth than Bournemouth and Burnley. One philosophy could take us there - although I recognise that has its perils but why not live dangerously? My tolerance for boredom is diminishing as I get older. Life's too short to sit through increasing levels of drudgery. 

• Like 1

On 29/11/2020 at 07:15, Inspector Lestrade said:

You can still be effective and play decent football.  You don't need to automatically resort to a boring style just because you are struggling.   In any scenario Pulis plays a boring style, Atkinson would play a more pleasing on the eye style. 

welp, we sure are killing it with a 4-3-3