Pulis doing exactly what he needs to do

For me it’s all about getting to January still in striking distance of the rest of the potential relegation pack 

That happens I have no doubt in my mind , tjat

pulis will bring in 2,3,4 quality striking/attacking options - wingers and strikers , 

he wouldn’t have come here with nothing to spend 

if that’s the case we will stay up

Just now, rickygoo said:

I’d say the opposite. It was reverting to being negative against Hull and Huddersfield that cost us promotion. 

I don’t think we were negative against Hull. We just had no answers to the pace, strength and experience in their team.

Huddersfield sitting deeper after taking a lead might work if you put some quicker and direct attackers on the pitch to counter them. 

Brighton came to Hillsborough with two man mountains at the back having bought Duffy and we got beat.

We lost to most of the teams at the bottom and anyone hardworking like PNE as we couldn’t play football on our terms 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Bluesteel said:

It does if what the man replacing him does what they wanted and they end up nearly relegated and go cap in hand to Colin. 

Disagree - they picked the wrong bloke to replace him. That gave them a huge problem. If you put Brazil 70 at 1 and John Beck’s Cambridge at 10 you don’t have to aim for 1. A steady 5 will do combined with the right manager. It’s about style and manager combined. 

Anyway you can be happy. Your man is in the job. Rejoice in all the pomp and circumstance he will undoubtedly bring to the footballing table. All we “haterz” can do is harumph from our settees. 

Its quite simple Pulis has made us defend like we have been getting hammered every week. Which is not true at all. Our problem is scoring goals. It's okay championing how good we are at defending now when it wasn't needed. We needed luongo back in front of the team and right now our defence will improve when iorfa gets back. It's completely un necessary to play as we are.

We needed organisation yes, we needed loungo back definitely as he has played really well this season. We needed to sort out the attack! That's been the problem not defending. Think about it we lost games by an odd goal because we couldn't score goals. Pulis talks of January.... But it's too far off, we need to win games now not hope for bore draws. By January we will be down! Look at the points difference now. Giving our current players only a few chances on goal will not work! They need several ATM. We don't have a striker that only needs one chance ( do you really think we will get someone of that quality in January where we are!) We need to try to win NOW! We can defend without all out defending! We are going down on draws at the moment! 

I'd like Pulis out right now yes absolutely. That's not going to happen is it. However right now he is going to take us down! It's okay saying we look more organized it's okay saying we went letting goals in but this is his style and without getting some pressure on their goal and creating more chances we won't score. Okay they may not but draws are NO GOOD TO US already! One win is three draws same as two losses and a win! He doesn't have the quality up front he needs to nick a goal regularly and we can't wait until January, he needs to change a habit of his life time or he WILL lose his record.

Say I'm moaning but I'm actually trying to show what we need to do to not go down not just saying he's poo.

3 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Disagree - they picked the wrong bloke to replace him. That gave them a huge problem. If you put Brazil 70 at 1 and John Beck’s Cambridge at 10 you don’t have to aim for 1. A steady 5 will do combined with the right manager. It’s about style and manager combined. 

Anyway you can be happy. Your man is in the job. Rejoice in all the pomp and circumstance he will undoubtedly bring to the footballing table. All we “haterz” can do is harumph from our settees. 

I don’t think it’s about being a Pulis cheerleader or hater. But whatever floats peoples boat.

I was pretty horrified when I first heard he was coming here. But having read about him in greater detail, considering our circumstances and where I think we had been weak recently it changed my mind for now at least and I am open minded having heard him speak.

There will come a point when he isn’t what we need and we hopefully have the squad and circumstances for something more stylish again. 

I just tend to respond on the deeply negative comments on Pulis as I think many are out of context and unbalanced given where we are and how he is putting more at risk in terms of his record coming here at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I don’t think we were negative against Hull. We just had no answers to the pace, strength and experience in their team.

Huddersfield sitting deeper after taking a lead might work if you put some quicker and direct attackers on the pitch to counter them. 

Brighton came to Hillsborough with two man mountains at the back having bought Duffy and we got beat.

We lost to most of the teams at the bottom and anyone hardworking like PNE as we couldn’t play football on our terms 

We swapped Lopez for Hutch because we’d been terrified by what Brighton did to us in the 2nd leg. 

And against Huddersfield we were appallingly negative at their place - against a team we’d beaten twice - and never got going in the 2nd leg. That was the culmination of a season in which we’d turned into a boring side. That play off  demise seemed to be partly caused by a team playing with the shackles on. There are lots of people saying Carlos should have gone that summer - despite 2 play off campaigns - and they have a point. 

Ultimately there’s no objectively right and wrong  way to play - only personal preference. You like it one way. I like it another. Some think results are all that matter. Others don’t. And there’s a broad range of overlap I suspect. But Pulis sits at one end of the debate and is bound to divide opinion. He doesn’t care a jot about that so nobody should mind for him.  He’ll do as he pleases and the rest of us can vote with our wallets.  And he’s the manager so people who love what he does can bask in that fact. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ashley8 said:

Its quite simple Pulis has made us defend like we have been getting hammered every week. Which is not true at all. Our problem is scoring goals. It's okay championing how good we are at defending now when it wasn't needed. We needed luongo back in front of the team and right now our defence will improve when iorfa gets back. It's completely un necessary to play as we are.

We needed organisation yes, we needed loungo back definitely as he has played really well this season. We needed to sort out the attack! That's been the problem not defending. Think about it we lost games by an odd goal because we couldn't score goals. Pulis talks of January.... But it's too far off, we need to win games now not hope for bore draws. By January we will be down! Look at the points difference now. Giving our current players only a few chances on goal will not work! They need several ATM. We don't have a striker that only needs one chance ( do you really think we will get someone of that quality in January where we are!) We need to try to win NOW! We can defend without all out defending! We are going down on draws at the moment! 

I'd like Pulis out right now yes absolutely. That's not going to happen is it. However right now he is going to take us down! It's okay saying we look more organized it's okay saying we went letting goals in but this is his style and without getting some pressure on their goal and creating more chances we won't score. Okay they may not but draws are NO GOOD TO US already! One win is three draws same as two losses and a win! He doesn't have the quality up front he needs to nick a goal regularly and we can't wait until January, he needs to change a habit of his life time or he WILL lose his record.

Say I'm moaning but I'm actually trying to show what we need to do to not go down not just saying he's poo.

I get this. But if windass gets sent off, Harris only back. Marriott injured before he came here and Brown seemingly struggling with fitness. There doesn’t seem an easy solution to that until jan.

1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

We swapped Lopez for Hutch because we’d been terrified by what Brighton did to us in the 2nd leg. 

And against Huddersfield we were appallingly negative at their place - against a team we’d beaten twice - and never got going in the 2nd leg. That was the culmination of a season in which we’d turned into a boring side. That play off  demise seemed to be partly caused by a team playing with the shackles on. There are lots of people saying Carlos should have gone that summer - despite 2 play off campaigns - and they have a point. 

Ultimately there’s no objectively right and wrong  way to play - only personal preference. You like it one way. I like it another. Some think results are all that matter. Others don’t. And there’s a broad range of overlap I suspect. But Pulis sits at one end of the debate and is bound to divide opinion. He doesn’t care a jot about that so nobody should mind for him.  He’ll do as he pleases and the rest of us can vote with our wallets.  And he’s the manager so people who love what he does can bask in that fact. 

Agree on that Huddersfield game. It was  horrendous. In the league that season we had used Winnall and he was a bit more basic but would move with the ball in the channels as an outlet. All I’m saying is that CC was negative but with an obsession with possession which teams put the choke on. It’s not as pretty to play that into space for someone to run onto but I think that was needed in that circumstance. If a manager is too dogmatic either way they won’t last and that applies to both ends of the spectrum including Pulis. But sometimes it’s what is needed in a fight. 

I think the best teams have generally been able to play good stuff but win ugly and be negative when needed. We don’t have that luxury and when league one is a real threat I think results are the be all and end all. 

Just now, Bluesteel said:

Agree on that Huddersfield game. It was  horrendous. In the league that season we had used Winnall and he was a bit more basic but would move with the ball in the channels as an outlet. All I’m saying is that CC was negative but with an obsession with possession which teams put the choke on. It’s not as pretty to play that into space for someone to run onto but I think that was needed in that circumstance. If a manager is too dogmatic either way they won’t last and that applies to both ends of the spectrum including Pulis. But sometimes it’s what is needed in a fight. 

I think the best teams have generally been able to play good stuff but win ugly and be negative when needed. We don’t have that luxury and when league one is a real threat I think results are the be all and end all. 

We got relegated under BFR but we were working on a different approach that took time but ended up reaping dividends. Maybe we should have turned to Harry Bassett instead.

It’s a bit pie in the sky admittedly but Bielsa has shown how you can galvanise a club by putting it on the front foot - by changing the approach and introducing some positivity to a group of players. Halfway to that would be good instead of just saying we’re absolute poo and we’re just going to defend. 

• Like 1

Bielsa is like BFR a good example. Ultimately failed in first full season but people could see what they were about, what they were trying to achieve. That’s where Pulis falls down in my eyes. What he tries to achieve is humdrum functionality.

I totally get why people embrace him. I don’t criticise them at all. It’s not for me to tell anyone else what they should get out of going to Hillsborough to watch football. It’s just not for me - each to their own.

33 minutes ago, g-owls said:

How many times in recent years have fans called out for a manager who’s experienced, says it straight and builds a team that would run through brick walls for each other?

Then when we appoint someone who fits those demands, people aren’t happy?

I don’t understand at all. Pulis took over a bang average Stoke side and not only got them promoted, but kept them at the top table with ease. What was it that the TV folk used to say in May? “Stoke City finish in their customary ninth placed position”

But because the style wasn’t like watching Brazil it still wasn’t good enough. It seems that football is only a results based business when it suits? 

I presume that if he ever got us in the Premier League, those complaining about his style still won’t be happy if we do a ‘Stoke’ and make Hillsborough an absolute pain of a place to come and play, where after 90 minutes you’ve had to work hard for anything you’ve gained. 

That says it all.  I'd settle for five years in the PL and an FA Cup Final spot. For now I'll settle for boring football and fourth from bottom.  Pulis won't stand for anyone not giving 100% and that's all we can ask for at the moment. 

• Like 1

As expected we are down the route of a dour war of attrition . Its not pretty and its not entertaining .

If it works to get us out of trouble  then fair enough, however if it became a style long term then I think I will definitely 

need increased medication.

Genuinely don’t know what some people expected Pulis to do with the squad we’ve got. No manager in the world could’ve come here and got us scoring goals galore. He’s doing what needs doing, he’s been here less than a month and has tightened the defence, made us much more solid and seem to have something about us.

It’s the final third that needs huge improvement but what do people expect with the players at his disposal!? He’ll hopefully recruit some quality in jan and I’m confident he’ll keep us up. That’s the requirement this season.

Guest whowantstoberich
1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

You can still be effective and play decent football.  You don't need to automatically resort to a boring style just because you are struggling.   In any scenario Pulis plays a boring style, Atkinson would play a more pleasing on the eye style. 

Sorry to be dumb, but could you explain, as in actual examples from yesterdays game, which parts were 'boring style'? 

We was well organised and got the job done. Unless you dont like football, i fail to see what was boring about the match?

4 minutes ago, whowantstoberich said:

Sorry to be dumb, but could you explain, as in actual examples from yesterdays game, which parts were 'boring style'? 

We was well organised and got the job done. Unless you dont like football, i fail to see what was boring about the match?

Start at 1 minute keep watching till 90 minutes.  If you can bare it.

Guest whowantstoberich
Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

Start at 1 minute keep watching till 90 minutes.  If you can bare it.

What specifically bored you though? Was it a certain pass, tackle, run, move? Or is it just because its the thing to say with Pulis in charge?

I think we was very well organised, showed a lot of desire, and on another day we would have nicked the win.

2 hours ago, S26 Owl said:

People moaning about the boring football need to realise that Pulis is doing exactly what he needed to come in and do.

A bore draw against a stoke team that has scored 11 goals in their last 4 games on paper is actually a very good result. 

A bore draw against a swansea side in the play offs who have lost 1 in their last 7 is on paper a very good result. 

And by all accounts wouldve been another draw against preston but for a mistake. 

It doesn't matter how good a team you are if you concede more goals than you score then you are in trouble and we are not a team to score lots of goals so he absolutely has to make us hard to beat and lay defensive foundations (considering the games before coming in we lost to Luton, Wycombe and Rotherham) and then build from there to work on the attacking side of our play. 

I'd understand it if we'd just sacked a manager that played attractive football but Moneks football was just as bad and would anyone generally swap boring draws against the better sides for boring defeats against the worst sides?

We are so deluded as a fanbase that we expect free flowing attacking football, something that we've had a few times in the last 20 odd years. We need an experienced manager to come in and do a job to get us out of this season alive and TP is the man for the job and does generally seem to care about building the club back up. 

Get behind him, get to January so he can buy his own players and actually sign a striker that suits his system and get on with it.

Really can't get my head around comments like this. They make absolutely no sense. So we're not allowed to ask for attacking football because we've not had it very often in the last 30 odd years? Eh? 

Here's a question for you. What 2 periods in that time would you consider to be our most successful? And, more importantly what type of football were we playing?