Pulis doing exactly what he needs to do

Can’t fully judge him at this early stage. Needs 10 to 15 games to get settled in, so fairer to judge then.

He has a certain reputation for very defensive football, but a lot of that was with smaller teams in the Premier League. 

Having said that, my mate is a big baggies fan and just hated going when he was in charge. He says he’ll definitely keep us up but says supporters won’t like his football.

• Like 1

I see some posts about TP waiting until the transfer window, but we have 8 games until then, and often players can come in late in that window - which is another 5 games.

He has to use his coaching experience to bring a change in fortunes before that to give himself a chance of staying up.

16 minutes ago, 4evaowl said:

I see some posts about TP waiting until the transfer window, but we have 8 games until then, and often players can come in late in that window - which is another 5 games.

He has to use his coaching experience to bring a change in fortunes before that to give himself a chance of staying up.

At 2 games a week there is very little time on the training pitch. Game, recovery day, preparation day, next game, recovery day......

It is much easier with one game each week but that isn't going to help much now. Pulis is fighting fires at present.

People need to chill and give him time to do his job.

1 hour ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Pearson, Cook, Lowe, Cowleys as realistic options. 3 were available. Lee Johnson and Eriksson we’re reported to be interested. 

Pearson is recovering from Covid and stated he was ill, Cook is not very inspiring, Ryan Lowe lacks the experience at this moment although he may be one for the future and the Cowleys, seriously after their stint at Udders. Lee Johnson and Erikkson are laughable. 

4 hours ago, S26 Owl said:

People moaning about the boring football need to realise that Pulis is doing exactly what he needed to come in and do.

A bore draw against a stoke team that has scored 11 goals in their last 4 games on paper is actually a very good result. 

A bore draw against a swansea side in the play offs who have lost 1 in their last 7 is on paper a very good result. 

And by all accounts wouldve been another draw against preston but for a mistake. 

It doesn't matter how good a team you are if you concede more goals than you score then you are in trouble and we are not a team to score lots of goals so he absolutely has to make us hard to beat and lay defensive foundations (considering the games before coming in we lost to Luton, Wycombe and Rotherham) and then build from there to work on the attacking side of our play. 

I'd understand it if we'd just sacked a manager that played attractive football but Moneks football was just as bad and would anyone generally swap boring draws against the better sides for boring defeats against the worst sides?

We are so deluded as a fanbase that we expect free flowing attacking football, something that we've had a few times in the last 20 odd years. We need an experienced manager to come in and do a job to get us out of this season alive and TP is the man for the job and does generally seem to care about building the club back up. 

Get behind him, get to January so he can buy his own players and actually sign a striker that suits his system and get on with it.

Well said.  

And I agree with pretty much everything you have said.  

29 minutes ago, 4evaowl said:

He’s a football coach, not a magician. Unfortunately our strike force is the weakest in the league.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

I think back then, we didn’t know any different. As a nation, we’ve moved on from that type of football

That type of football got us what was then a record points haul in the old second division and really should have won us the title.

We dominated practically every team we met and played some scintillating stuff, but because it was fast, direct and furious we were accused of it being hoofball. It most certainly wasn't and the majority of criticism was sour grapes from teams (and their supporters) who thought they were bigger and better than us.

The fact Wilko went on to lift the title for L**ds a few seasons later and was the last Englishman to do so tells you everything you need to know.

1 hour ago, Owling Wolfe said:

He’s a football coach, not a magician. Unfortunately our strike force is the weakest in the league.

Hang on

When Monk was here people were screaming that he was paid big money to manage the talent he had at his disposal, that he should be doing better with it, and that he should be man managing us to a decent finish.

Can't have it one way for Monk and not for Pulis

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Hang on

When Monk was here people were screaming that he was paid big money to manage the talent he had at his disposal, that he should be doing better with it, and that he should be man managing us to a decent finish.

Can't have it one way for Monk and not for Pulis

Most of all those good players have now gone and he’s replaced them with a load of crap. By the way, Monk wanted those players in as well. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Pulis won't stand for anyone not giving 100% and that's all we can ask for at the moment. 

Surely thats the minimum requirement from any professional footballer every time he enters the pitch. So Im pretty sure we can ask for just a little more than that. Cant we?

3 hours ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Couple of questions Ricky

Which Wednesday managers have you liked ?

Who would have been your choice to replace Monk ?

Ta

To varying degrees and for varying time lengths- Ashurst, Big Jack, Wilko, BFR, Tricky, Pleat, Sturrock, Laws, Meggy, Jones, Gray, Carlos. 

I don’t know who I would have picked to replace Monk. My dream would be someone who could galvanise the club by getting us on the front foot, wanting to play exciting football long term and instilling positivity from top to bottom - like Bielsa has done with Leeds. 

My knowledge of world  football isn’t good enough to pick someone and I would need to interview them for a definitive answer anyway. Just like I know what to look for in a pizza chef but I wouldn’t know who to replace the local chump with. 

Pulis doesn’t fit the bill for me - but each to their own. I can see entirely why people think he’s a good choice. But he wouldn’t be mine.  

I don’t have to be forced to “give him a chance” because he’s the manager and no amount of my harrumphing on here will make any difference. He’s got a lot more than just a chance. Just like years of moaning about Chansiri have done no good.  

It’s therapeutic though and I can always be ignored/blocked/ ribbed. Whatever,   Pulis has committed enough crimes against what I think is the beautiful game to never be covered by my Rehabilitation of Football Offenders Act!

Enjoy Your Football. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

To varying degrees and for varying time lengths- Ashurst, Big Jack, Wilko, BFR, Tricky, Pleat, Sturrock, Laws, Meggy, Jones, Gray, Carlos. 

I don’t know who I would have picked to replace Monk. My dream would be someone who could galvanise the club by getting us on the front foot, wanting to play exciting football long term and instilling positivity from top to bottom - like Bielsa has done with Leeds. 

My knowledge of world  football isn’t good enough to pick someone and I would need to interview them for a definitive answer anyway. Just like I know what to look for in a pizza chef but I wouldn’t know who to replace the local chump with. 

Pulis doesn’t fit the bill for me - but each to their own. I can see entirely why people think he’s a good choice. But he wouldn’t be mine.  

I don’t have to be forced to “give him a chance” because he’s the manager and no amount of my harrumphing on here will make any difference. He’s got a lot more than just a chance. Just like years of moaning about Chansiri have done no good.  

It’s therapeutic though and I can always be ignored/blocked/ ribbed. Whatever,   Pulis has committed enough crimes against what I think is the beautiful game to never be covered by my Rehabilitation of Football Offenders Act!

Enjoy Your Football. 

Mm, I see your thoughts are softening..

😅

4 hours ago, hugeowl said:

Can someone explain to me what else Pulis could have done over the last 3 games to improve our football into a more free flowing and free scoring style ? 

1st game down to 10 men after 15 mins 

Second game , best we have played this season for the first half 

3rd game just a battle and didn’t concede against a free scoring side 

I will take that as a no then .