Pulis doing exactly what he needs to do

Think Pulis is doing well, every team needs to build from the back and i think he has made excellent progress with the defence. Before he arrived we made lots of mistakes that led to goals concede . Midfield is getting sorted although not creating many chances. He doesn't have a lot of time between matches to bring in his methods, he needs time.

Football is all about getting results, at least we are picking up draws, we wouldn't have done this with Monk.

Would fans be happy to play attractive football and loose games and get relegated.

Think we have a good chance to stay up with Pulis, he needs to get some forwards in quick and early in the transfer window. Hope he did get a long term contract

Monk or Pulis

532 or 433

Direct or flamboyant

It makes not a jot when we have no strikers

The more pertinent question is who has the better faculties to get a tune out of this squad until January and keep us there or thereabouts around 21st and attract anyone decent who can actually score a goal.

For me the former is much of a muchness I don't think the points accrual would be much of a difference however the latter point I have more faith in Pulis than Monk

• Like 2

It’s not complicated, Pulis has us putting in a decent performance away at Swansea, and rightly gets the plaudits. After a not particularly good performance at home to Stoke, then some questions are asked. Be a bit weird if it was the other way around

I don’t know what people expect?

The last manager we employed who’s got a better track record than Pulis was Atkinson.

Tony Pulis is vastly experienced, still has the obvious desire to succeed and has a reputation of creating tough, committed teams who are hard to beat. At the current time that’s what we need to be, and whilst our attacking options are both extremely limited and extremely poor, it’s an area that Pulis knows full well has to be improved upon, so let’s see what he can do in January. 

There’s no point in berating the bloke now, he’s got his hands tied to working with the dross he’s inherited. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I think Pulis probably plays the kind of game many of us don’t mind. Athletic players, play your football in the final third, pace and strength up front.

First thing Pulis said about the strikers was that you need that strength and explosive pace. How many of us said that years ago? 

He will want tall and robust centre halves, what Carlos didn’t want but needed.

He will not rely on one defensive midfield player for an entire season. 

I think if we had this kind of manager when DC first arrived then we might’ve had a better chance of promotion. 

I liked the style under CC, we looked a quality and stylish team. But we were too soft physically and mentally. 

There will come a point where a rigid and robust team becomes stale and needs the shackles removing. But this is what we need now as a solid foundation for the future.

Weve only lost 1 in the last 5 due to a red card. But clearly draws will see us relegated. 

We do needs wins of course, but draws help too.

Had we drawn against Rotherham and Wycombe we’d be out of the relegation zone.

1 minute ago, Shetland Owl said:

Football is all about getting results, at least we are picking up draws, we wouldn't have done this with Monk.

This is the line of thinking I'm struggling with.

We did draw and win games under Monk, and against teams currently 2nd and 3rd in the division.

You might think that Pulis is a better manager - that's fair enough - but to state with certainty what would have happened in a reality which doesn't exist is really odd and does the argument you're trying to make no favours.

22 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Talk to Boro fans about that. 

About finishing playoffs and 7th? It’s all relative I suppose.

He doesn’t mess about with it at the back. But he relies on athleticism over a great deal of flair. He will want a team full of 7/10 players rather than some who are 10/10 one week and 4/10 the next. It’s dull but stacks up over time 

• Like 1

How many times in recent years have fans called out for a manager who’s experienced, says it straight and builds a team that would run through brick walls for each other?

Then when we appoint someone who fits those demands, people aren’t happy?

I don’t understand at all. Pulis took over a bang average Stoke side and not only got them promoted, but kept them at the top table with ease. What was it that the TV folk used to say in May? “Stoke City finish in their customary ninth placed position”

But because the style wasn’t like watching Brazil it still wasn’t good enough. It seems that football is only a results based business when it suits? 

I presume that if he ever got us in the Premier League, those complaining about his style still won’t be happy if we do a ‘Stoke’ and make Hillsborough an absolute pain of a place to come and play, where after 90 minutes you’ve had to work hard for anything you’ve gained. 

and I have spoken to plenty of Boro fans and watched Wednesday up at Boro sat right behind Pulis. It was a dire 0-0 but they looked a lot more likely to win. 

The main gripe by the end was that he played too many defensive mid and centre half types. Then when woodgate went more expansive and focused on possession they nearly went down. I think if they were honest they would view Pulis in a different context now. They like Warnock but they would have had a different opinion on him immediately after relegation IMO

1 minute ago, Bluesteel said:

About finishing playoffs and 7th? It’s all relative I suppose.

He doesn’t mess about with it at the back. But he relies on athleticism over a great deal of flair. He will want a team full of 7/10 players rather than some who are 10/10 one week and 4/10 the next. It’s dull but stacks up over time 

They had to endure watching it. Results and nothing else is fine if you sit at home and watch teletext or if you are watching a different team. My Boro mates genuinely loathed him and there must have been perfectly good reasons. 

People are assuming that because you were p’ed off with yesterday’s performance, that you want Pulis out 

It’s the complete opposite. I think the only way of us getting anything out of a game is to play direct 

My issue is that these players aren’t even good enough to play the shithouse game 

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

and I have spoken to plenty of Boro fans and watched Wednesday up at Boro sat right behind Pulis. It was a dire 0-0 but they looked a lot more likely to win. 

The main gripe by the end was that he played too many defensive mid and centre half types. Then when woodgate went more expansive and focused on possession they nearly went down. I think if they were honest they would view Pulis in a different context now. They like Warnock but they would have had a different opinion on him immediately after relegation IMO

Just because they picked the wrong man to replace him doesn’t mean they were wrong to despise the way Pulis played. 

Just now, rickygoo said:

They had to endure watching it. Results and nothing else is fine if you sit at home and watch teletext or if you are watching a different team. My Boro mates genuinely loathed him and there must have been perfectly good reasons. 

Yeah they’d just come down though. Then when they got entertainment it was at the expense of shipping a lot of goals. Which vindicates the approach Pulis took. 

Ideally everyone wants entertaining attacking football (although I think there can be some entertainment in a physical game too) but if you don’t get the wins with it then that becomes old very quickly. That’s the point.

We had a bit of it under CC and in my view the focus on style cost us promotion.