Bazza

Guest Therealrealist

On 22/11/2020 at 17:18, TheGodfather said:

The quality around him has progressively decreased over the years. He's gone from being a cog in a bigger machine, asked to chip in with moments of quality alongside the contributions of Hooper, Forestieri, Lee, Wallace, to being the machine in its entirety.

If Bannan is off, the whole attacking side of our game is off. It's been this way for a while. And the rest of the team have become accustomed to it. He's their safety net. Not comfortable on the ball? Pass it to Bannan asap and hope he does something. It's why he's had to drop further and further back to the point he spends most of the game alongside our centre halves.

There's nobody else who wants it. He's been surrounded by shirkers for months. Years even. There's no reason the likes of Adam Reach can't be dictating games the way Bannan has. He's got the ability, he just doesn't want the responsibility. Happy to coast by. He's far from being the only one either.

Bannan's contributions from set pieces and corners should rightly be questioned, they've been cr@p for a while. But he wants it. He wants the responsibility. And I give him plenty of credit for that over the last few years. If we had a penalty shoot out tomorrow to decide if we stay in the division, he'd be the first one with his hand up to volunteer to take the first one. Not sure how many others would be close behind him in doing the same...

This post sums up the issue with Bannan perfectly. Fantastic words. 

On 21/11/2020 at 19:18, northeastowl said:

However under Pulis he will be a passenger. 

I don’t understand why people say this. Pulis stated he has been the best player in the Championship for 3, 4 years. Also, that he takes the players he inherits and moulds the best side possible from them. Bannan will be the first name on Pulis’ team sheet every week. Does the Westwood situation not tell you that?

As for set pieces, he has to be taken off corners and free kicks around the box. His free kicks from distance are actually pretty good, he usually finds the man at the back, who heads it across.

On 22/11/2020 at 17:18, TheGodfather said:

The quality around him has progressively decreased over the years. He's gone from being a cog in a bigger machine, asked to chip in with moments of quality alongside the contributions of Hooper, Forestieri, Lee, Wallace, to being the machine in its entirety.

If Bannan is off, the whole attacking side of our game is off. It's been this way for a while. And the rest of the team have become accustomed to it. He's their safety net. Not comfortable on the ball? Pass it to Bannan asap and hope he does something. It's why he's had to drop further and further back to the point he spends most of the game alongside our centre halves.

There's nobody else who wants it. He's been surrounded by shirkers for months. Years even. There's no reason the likes of Adam Reach can't be dictating games the way Bannan has. He's got the ability, he just doesn't want the responsibility. Happy to coast by. He's far from being the only one either.

Bannan's contributions from set pieces and corners should rightly be questioned, they've been cr@p for a while. But he wants it. He wants the responsibility. And I give him plenty of credit for that over the last few years. If we had a penalty shoot out tomorrow to decide if we stay in the division, he'd be the first one with his hand up to volunteer to take the first one. Not sure how many others would be close behind him in doing the same...

I completely agree, an excellent post. One point to add, is that of confidence. Players who are confident, take more risks and accept more responsibility. Confidence comes from winning and success obviously, but also fitness & sharpness and having a clear simple role that you understand and can execute. Pulis will sort both of these issues out and I think the likes of,Reach, will begin to step up more.

9 minutes ago, Pieman said:

I don’t understand why people say this. Pulis stated he has been the best player in the Championship for 3, 4 years. Also, that he takes the players he inherits and moulds the best side possible from them. Bannan will be the first name on Pulis’ team sheet every week. Does the Westwood situation not tell you that?

As for set pieces, he has to be taken off corners and free kicks around the box. His free kicks from distance are actually pretty good, he usually finds the man at the back, who heads it across.

I presume you watched the game on Saturday? Bannan had an absolute stinker with the ball, he couldn’t even make simple passes. 

The problem with Bannan is he does nothing when he doesn’t have the ball, yeah he runs around a lot like a headless chicken but when a tackle is there to be made he backs out. Pulis won’t have a passenger in the team and at the minute that’s what he is and I can only

see that continuing with Pulis’ tactics. 

For the time being Bannan will keep playing whilst we have 3 in midfield but as Pulis’ can dip into the market and has two strikers he wants to play then Bannan won’t play in a two man midfield.

Might be proved wrong but that’s what I think. I even think he might sell him in January. 

2 minutes ago, northeastowl said:

I presume you watched the game on Saturday? Bannan had an absolute stinker with the ball, he couldn’t even make simple passes. 

The problem with Bannan is he does nothing when he doesn’t have the ball, yeah he runs around a lot like a headless chicken but when a tackle is there to be made he backs out. Pulis won’t have a passenger in the team and at the minute that’s what he is and I can only

For the time being Bannan will keep playing whilst we have 3 in midfield but as Pulis’ can dip into the market and has two strikers he wants to play then Bannan won’t play in a two man midfield.

Might be proved wrong but that’s what I think. I even think he might sell him in January. 

Yes I did and he was pants. You will also accept he has played many, many superb games for us. I also accept that is his levels stay the same as Saturday, he will be out of the team. My point was and where we disagree, Pulis will not drop Bannan to accommodate his ‘style’ of play that the experts on here go on about. 

Another point to make in Bannans defence and maybe some other players like Reach. Bannan has been asked to play 5 games where we have finished with 10 men on the pitch. Windass went off in the 17th kin minute. This has a massive psychological impact on the players - oh ffs, type of thing. So, the fact his levels dipped, knowing he had to run at 110% for 70 minutes, for the 4 or 5th time, knowing that was likely to result in zero points......forgive me, but the fella deserves a break every now and then...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pieman said:

Yes I did and he was pants. You will also accept he has played many, many superb games for us. I also accept that is his levels stay the same as Saturday, he will be out of the team. My point was and where we disagree, Pulis will not drop Bannan to accommodate his ‘style’ of play that the experts on here go on about. 

Another point to make in Bannans defence and maybe some other players like Reach. Bannan has been asked to play 5 games where we have finished with 10 men on the pitch. Windass went off in the 17th kin minute. This has a massive psychological impact on the players - oh ffs, type of thing. So, the fact his levels dipped, knowing he had to run at 110% for 70 minutes, for the 4 or 5th time, knowing that was likely to result in zero points......forgive me, but the fella deserves a break every now and then...

Yeah what you say about the red cards and the affect on players is correct. 

I’m on totally blaming Bannan for our performances, he’s gone from in a quality side to a poor side in the space of 2-3 years. Bannan was a small cog in a big wheel previously where as now he is the main man. He’s gone from playing in a team where the opposition couldn’t get the ball off his and we would pass it round the park for fun to now not having one player on the pitch on the same wave length or technical ability. It’a got to be demoralising for him however that doesn’t he should be in the team.

We haven’t got the players to play football and under Pulis I imagine we won’t. It will be quick direct football which Bannan doesn’t suit. At the minute there’s no one to really replace him but I imagine along with a striker, a centre midfielder will be top of his Christmas list.

On 21/11/2020 at 19:10, Therealrealist said:

Probably his worse game for us today...he stunk the place out..shocking..let him go in jan if we get offered owt..and I mean owt..better than letting him wind down till he gets his move at the end of the season

Yeah but you think JJ is a legend lol 

Borner was 'Pant's' to most posters on here up to a couple of weeks ago when he started to get his game back after a spell, no pun intended' on the bench.

Maybe that is what Bannan needs just at the moment.

Also may be what the team need's too, Bannan DOES slow the game down + other managers have sussed us out and put our midfield under pressure, which they cannot, deal with, a problem we have had for the last 5 years.

5 hours ago, northeastowl said:

The quality has definitely dipped. The key, as I have posted many times, is off the ball movement. Even Joey can pass a ball when he has available options. Bazzas options at present (under Monk) were static and at right angles. 

Baz can definitely hit some fantastic long cross-field balls down the flank and most pundits and opposition managers rate him, but how often does he provide that killer pass that puts a great chance on a plate.

He hasn't this season.

I'm thinking of the type of ball Izzy Brown put to Windass for the goal v Cardiff or, from watching quest at the weekend, Brookes ball to Danjuma Bournemouth v Reading. 

Interesting points about the quality around him deteriorating over time and I guess he sits too deep too much to provide the type of ball I'm referring to.

Maybe we need a better quality defensive midfielder who is also comfortable on the ball to allow Baz to get further up the field.

6 hours ago, Sumi Shimamoto said:

Baz can definitely hit some fantastic long cross-field balls down the flank and most pundits and opposition managers rate him, but how often does he provide that killer pass that puts a great chance on a plate.

He hasn't this season.

I'm thinking of the type of ball Izzy Brown put to Windass for the goal v Cardiff or, from watching quest at the weekend, Brookes ball to Danjuma Bournemouth v Reading. 

Interesting points about the quality around him deteriorating over time and I guess he sits too deep too much to provide the type of ball I'm referring to.

Maybe we need a better quality defensive midfielder who is also comfortable on the ball to allow Baz to get further up the field.

Brentford and Bournemouth off the top of my head this season.

He’s played every single minute of our 13 games.

He had one stinker and was decent to very good in the rest.

We don’t know we are born with Bannan, and he will be so sorely missed when he goes that we’ll have to recruit two players to fill those minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Brentford and Bournemouth off the top of my head this season.

I might be being a bit harsh from my frustration of lack of goals from open play and expecting too much.

I was referring to that final ball in open play.

I might of missed it but can't recall this from the Brentford or Bournemouth games.

He was pivotal in the Brentford goal (one of his balls down the flank), but I would attribute Harris more with the assist. Maybe this goal highlights the need for more than one bit of quality?

V Bournemouth he put a couple of great set pieces in, which we should have scored from.

12 hours ago, Sumi Shimamoto said:

I might be being a bit harsh from my frustration of lack of goals from open play and expecting too much.

I was referring to that final ball in open play.

I might of missed it but can't recall this from the Brentford or Bournemouth games.

He was pivotal in the Brentford goal (one of his balls down the flank), but I would attribute Harris more with the assist. Maybe this goal highlights the need for more than one bit of quality?

V Bournemouth he put a couple of great set pieces in, which we should have scored from.

Harris doesn't get the assist without the ball Bannan played to him. While it's not the final ball it's vital.

Windass doesn't win the pen against Bournemouth without the ball from Bannan. Again while not a traditional assist it doesn't happen without him.

I agree he needs more and I think that will come the more confidant the squad gets.