Garry Monk's view of todays defeat - surely can't last any longer than tonight now?

Guest Bulgaria
24 minutes ago, ozzieowl said:

I want to know who’s idea it is to lump ball up top all time.

lump it to Marriott who’s tiny n crap. 
paterson who’s slow, wins headers but goes to no one. 
the strategy is shocking. Don’t play to our players strengths. 
when we actually got crosses in there’s no movement, no commitment, no battling. 
all stand waiting for ball to hit em on head. 
don’t seem to have any other plan

Indeed.

We just lump it forward or sling it into the box with just a hope summat happens. Unfortunately the standard of strikers we have don't make their own chances. I can't recall us winning one header in their box all afternoon, yet we just carried on regardless.

It's painful.

As soon as I witnessed yet another ridiculous kick off that went straight into their keepers arms, I knew it was going to be yet another abismal performance.

"The effort and commitment has been there, especially in today’s game. The control was exactly where it needs to be but that killer edge wasn’t and that is the most important part."

"They are capable of doing it but they are probably low on confidence at this time. "When you are confident, everything you try goes in. We are in a moment where things that we are trying are not coming off."

If only that was true. It's not just the cutting edge, the defence was panic stricken every ttime the opposition got over the half way line. 6's  and 7's. We were giving the ball away all the time, overhitting passes. In short we were a shambles against a side that had picked up one point this season in 8 games. We should have been clinically putting them to the sword, instead they could very easily have had 3 without 2 excellent saves by the keeper. How many did their keeper save.

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I think it definitely is.

It's shockingly bad

I do think our squad is bad, very bad in fact. 
I think we are going down. 
But. Is the squad as bad as the performance?

I’m not so sure. 
Wycombe were really, really poor. I think their players are worse than ours. 
Really we committed Hari Kiri, as we did for the 2 games before. 
I think we have a set of pretty rubbish players, but so do many teams. 
We play a particularly rubbish formation with square pegs in round holes. 
We do strange things like take short corners that have clearly not been practiced. We kick off to the opposition keeper. 
The coaching is not working. Normally this is the fault of the coach. 
I think we can play better than we are with a different coach. 
We won’t stay up, but we can at least start now for planning for next year’s promotion push. 

56 minutes ago, owlmanc said:

He got a bit spiky.... he knows he’s under pressure. 

When managers get to this point, there is no point prolonging the misery for all parties concerned. Ain't working so time to change. Think the only thing he is genuinely concerned about is what club will employ him next after the last shambolic 10 months?

What has actually changed since the opening few games of the season when we did well? Ignoring the points deduction, we’ve gone from looking like a team that would finish mid table to play offs, to one that now looks like it is certain to finish rock bottom. How can it change that quick? Is it all down to the late QPR equaliser that knocked the stuffing out of the players? Or is it because of injuries to 3 of our 4 key players, Iorfa, Luongo and brown?

Why do we play long balls when we have little Jack Marriott up front who can’t win headers, and a great ball player like Bannan in midfield? Does monk tell them to just lump it up front or are they doing this despite what they’ve been told and trained on?

Totally confused and thoroughly pi55ed off by how quickly it’s all gone wrong after we had a number of positives just a few weeks ago.

• Like 1

Just now, GLOwl said:

What has actually changed since the opening few games of the season when we did well? Ignoring the points deduction, we’ve gone from looking like a team that would finish mid table to play offs, to one that now looks like it is certain to finish rock bottom. How can it change that quick? Is it all down to the late QPR equaliser that knocked the stuffing out of the players? Or is it because of injuries to 3 of our 4 key players, Iorfa, Luongo and brown?

Why do we play long balls when we have little Jack Marriott up front who can’t win headers, and a great ball player like Bannan in midfield? Does monk tell them to just lump it up front or are they doing this despite what they’ve been told and trained on?

Totally confused and thoroughly pi55ed off by how quickly it’s all gone wrong after we had a number of positives just a few weeks ago.

Think all of us wanted Monk to succeed and it was looking better a couple of weeks ago, it is like the squad have collectively capitulated. We are back to playing like headless chickens - no confidence and not doing the basics properly. I cannot see a way back from this for him.