Garry Monk looks to nail Barry Bannan down to a new contract

8 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

If Bannan or someone else were to go, it might enable us to bring in some quality last minute loanees to strengthen various weak areas. Other teams at this level sell their better players and reinvest smartly and seemingly progress, how come we rarely do? 

Because we are rubbish at recruiting!

Other clubs who are good at recruiting probably don't sell their best players to a cheeky last minute offer and base their recruitment on what is left with 1 day to go until the transfer window shuts.

7 hours ago, 83owl said:

If we were lucky and got £1.5m - plus £20k a week off the wage bill surely there’s young league 1 players that we can pick up for that who will improve. We need to stop pining over the likes of Westwood, lee, Bannan etc and start looking forward instead of backwards.

Probably best to do that as a long-term recruitment plan rather than sell the player the manager has made captain for the new season 1 day before the window shuts.

5 hours ago, Sticky Micky said:

Exactly 

People sounding like we could lose messi

It's barry bannan ffs 

Even without him we are better than Rotherham Wycombe Barnsley and Coventry, fact 

We should be, unfortunately the results for the past 10 months under the current manager suggest otherwise. 

10 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Probably best to do that as a long-term recruitment plan rather than sell the player the manager has made captain for the new season 1 day before the window shuts.

That’s the thing we don’t have any kind of plan. I know it’s hard for us to bring players in given our finances and -12 but we were suppose mid to be bringing in younger players with resale value?

The only first team player I think we could potentially make a profit on in a few years is windass (fdb Currently a backup player don’t know how well he will develop) 

We are just going round in circles but now instead of buying better quality 25-28 year olds we are just buying lower quality ones.

1 minute ago, 83owl said:

That’s the thing we don’t have any kind of plan. I know it’s hard for us to bring players in given our finances and -12 but we were suppose mid to be bringing in younger players with resale value?

The only first team player I think we could potentially make a profit on in a few years is windass (fdb Currently a backup player don’t know how well he will develop) 

We are just going round in circles but now instead of buying better quality 25-28 year olds we are just buying lower quality ones.

Don't disagree with you unfortunately.

If we'd had a decent offer for Bannan in say August, and by decent at this stage of his contract I would say £3M+ then it might have been a good time to sell and reinvest in younger, cheaper in terms of wages players with a future sell-on value. 

Selling the player our rare bits of decent football often go through, the player the manager made his new captain this season, with 1 day to find a replacement would be pretty foolish. 

9 hours ago, royalowlisback said:

I think nailing him to the contract is a bit harsh.

Probably better to politely ask him to sign it instead.

One way to make him stay! He'd probably not bat an eye lid, after all we crucify our players week in week out!

If you sell your best player (which he is, easily) in your most important season in decades then you deserve to fail, simple as that. 

We are not a career service for Bannan, it does not matter if it is a great opportunity for him or not. He's our player and we need him this season and in my opinion beyond.

• Like 1

What would we get for him? £1m at best what with him in the final year of his contract and us supposedly a bit fecked money wise, not his biggest fan but he is just about our best player, would rather keep him this season and let him go for nowt at the end of it if it means us staying up, be about £7m better off by being in the championship than league one, no brainier for me unless they off silly money which is highly doubtful.

1 minute ago, sonofbert2 said:

We’ve been offered 1.25m and then 1.5m by Brentford according to some journo on Twitter.

Deal or No Deal??

No deal.

Had we not been in the position we are with the points deduction, maybe. But, this season he's worth more to us than a couple of million. 

3 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

We’ve been offered 1.25m and then 1.5m by Brentford according to some journo on Twitter.

Deal or No Deal??

No f..... way! To make a late offer it would after to be over 5 million to be tempted. Relegation would cost far more than what we can get at the mo. Selling your club captain would send the wrong message to the squad.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The_Limit_Owl said:

At the risk of upsetting Neil (aka the defender of the media)........

a) it's Twitter and......

b) it's a "journo" on Twitter

In both cases you'd have to factor in a tipper truck full of bullshlt, especially when someone calls themselves a "journo" on Twitter......it'll some young arris wipe called Connor or Callum sat in their bedroom making sheite up!

It isn’t.

Also confirmed Flint loan and Zahore gone to Millwall.