Garry Monk looks to nail Barry Bannan down to a new contract

Firstly the manager ain’t going to say we are looking to sell even if we are.

Secondly if I am sat where Monk is I would have no interest in selling.

He must have zero faith in our ability to get any replacement through the door in the 2 days so why would he ship him out.

Bannan has been loyal and committed to our club while others have been taking the p*ss.

He might sign a new contract if we look like avoiding the drop.

• Like 3

I personally dont think we can lose. If he signs a two year contract, great, if we get a decent offer for a player in the last year of his contract, great. Inevitably he's gone decline over the next couple of years. Having him around has its positives, having some cash to reinvest is also a positive. 

Edited by Kraschenbern
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Kraschenbern said:

I personally dont think we can lose. If he signs a two year contract, great, if we get a decent offer for a player in the last year of his contract, great. Inevitably he's gone decline over the next couple of years. Having him around has its positives, having some cash to reinvest is also a positive. 

I want to live in your world!

If we were lucky and got £1.5m - plus £20k a week off the wage bill surely there’s young league 1 players that we can pick up for that who will improve. We need to stop pining over the likes of Westwood, lee, Bannan etc and start looking forward instead of backwards.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

So let's say he doesn't want to leave hypothetically and Brentford offered £ 500.000 would you cash in

Yes..... 

Its about £1.2m up in total if you say he is is on £25k a week (guess) as you would save £700k in wages.

Its where we are.... staring down the barrel of L1 and needing to cut the wage bill. 

Sad but true.

Plus we won't get any resale value of we extend a contract of a 31 year old player for another 2 years on that money....

Sorry but he needs to go.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tea Baggins said:

Yes..... 

Its about £1.2m up in total if you say he is is on £25k a week (guess) as you would save £700k in wages.

Its where we are.... staring down the barrel of L1 and needing to cut the wage bill. 

Sad but true.

Plus we won't get any resale value of we extend a contract of a 31 year old player for another 2 years on that money....

Sorry but he needs to go.

And how much will a quality replacement cost I would imagine in the same wage bracket