Garry Monk looks to nail Barry Bannan down to a new contract

11 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Not seen this, where's it say he wants to leave?

As I said above mate, I was speaking hypothetically.

Besides, who wouldn't want to go there? New Stadium, great vision, better ran club.

Hate to say it but its a no-brainer.. taking my blue tinted glasses off.

• Like 1

Just now, Tea Baggins said:

Besides, who wouldn't want to go there? New Stadium, great vision, better ran tin pot club.

lol

22 minutes ago, 83owl said:

If we were lucky and got £1.5m - plus £20k a week off the wage bill surely there’s young league 1 players that we can pick up for that who will improve. We need to stop pining over the likes of Westwood, lee, Bannan etc and start looking forward instead of backwards.

If that's easy, then surely Brentford, who are amongst the best in the League at it, would just buy a young player from League One themselves?

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-10-15 at 11.55.42.jpg

Screenshot 2020-10-15 at 11.23.10.jpg

Read the full story here - https://t.co/pU8eTz3p0W?amp=1

Should have been done already, if he wont sign one then toodle pip off to brentford you got or if he will we play hardball and they pay far too much for him or he stays put.

As it is we have left it into his last year and then the interest has come and we start bloody thinking about a new deal.

1 minute ago, Tea Baggins said:

Besides, who wouldn't want to go there? New Stadium, great vision, better ran club.

Had a great vision for a while still in the Championship though, I do admit they do play decent football and seemingly are a progressive club.

Sure there not red?

3 minutes ago, Tea Baggins said:

I reckon young Hunt isn't far off.

Personally I think we are looking towards a more physical, dynamic team.

I have watched hunt come through the ranks for about the last 5 year's and for me he is nowhere near or will ever be near a replacement for bannan

15 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

And how much will a quality replacement cost I would imagine in the same wage bracket

Dack was £750k

Grimes £1.5m 

Thats off the top of my head. There will have been loads of players made the step up for around £1m who are now worth at least 5x as much.

Plenty 

Id sell him to Brentford for 5 mill,they will have loads of money to spend..

Then we can try/struggle to get a replacement in or 2 maybe of exact same quality on loan or for 500k.Whats more attracting to players then Monk and -12 head start on relegation....

If we sell Bannan we might as well give up now for this season and prepare for div 1..if thats the way forward then so be it...don't think DC wants that one bit..give him 2-3 years match his wage at least tie him down with contract clauses obviously.... seriously some people on here deluded...get rid of best player we have to try and sign better??not going to happen.....

UTO...

28 minutes ago, Tea Baggins said:

Yes..... 

Its about £1.2m up in total if you say he is is on £25k a week (guess) as you would save £700k in wages.

Its where we are.... staring down the barrel of L1 and needing to cut the wage bill. 

Sad but true.

Plus we won't get any resale value of we extend a contract of a 31 year old player for another 2 years on that money....

Sorry but he needs to go.

I agree with what your saying but id push for more than 500k. Reckon we could realistically double it with a year to go.

He is important to us and would help in our battle but lets be honest we dont play his style of football now and were probably not staying up anyway and then we'll lose him for nothing anyway.

Where does this all sound a little familiar oh yeah that's it replace Bannan with Fletcher and you have the article from last season then he left for a free agent after refusing to help the team out at the end of the season when we needed him.

1 hour ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

Id sell him to Brentford for 5 mill,they will have loads of money to spend..

Then we can try/struggle to get a replacement in or 2 maybe of exact same quality on loan or for 500k.Whats more attracting to players then Monk and -12 head start on relegation....

If we sell Bannan we might as well give up now for this season and prepare for div 1..if thats the way forward then so be it...don't think DC wants that one bit..give him 2-3 years match his wage at least tie him down with contract clauses obviously.... seriously some people on here deluded...get rid of best player we have to try and sign better??not going to happen.....

UTO...

Plenty of clubs have had success in this division without BB playing for them. It’s about the team and how the team play together as a unit not how good any individual player is.

• Like 3

How have we managed when Bannan has ben suspended / injured / unavailbale for other reasons ??
I seem to think we've not done too bad overall.

The team has to adapt to a different way of playing, with not everything has to go through Bannan.

The other midfielders have more opportunities to be creative themsleves, which usually means a better, more fluid way of forward playing, as everything doesn't have to go through BB.

He is undoubtedly a fan's favourite, but if it meant we became a less 1 dimensional team, that has got to be a better way of playing and picking up valuable points...

The current problem is that other teams can man-mark Bannan out of the game and our chances then become limited..

1 hour ago, 83owl said:

Plenty of clubs have had success in this division without BB playing for them. It’s about the team and how the team play together as a unit not how good any individual player is.

Exactly 

People sounding like we could lose messi

It's barry bannan ffs 

Even without him we are better than Rotherham Wycombe Barnsley and Coventry, fact 

When people talk about building a team for the future how can they not look at our captain as key to this 

Alex hunt is a BB in the making slight different playing style but a lot of the same attributes 

AH isn’t quite there yet and bannan is coming into his twilight years 

I see bannan not only contributing on the pitch in the next few years but being instrumental in helping young The players transition into first team football especially hunt 

if we sign bannan down for another 2 years and hunt gradually takes over the reigns 

we could have secured a position from bannan 6 years and hunt 6-10 years for very little outlay 

we will get peanuts for a player that still has a huge role to play for us the time to sell bannan was 2 years ago not now 

he’s our captain and I can see him playing the rest of his days out here unless he drops down a few leagues or goes back to Scotland when he’s 33 plus to get game time 

keep bannan I hope he signs and extension 

• Like 1