"New managers tend to be insecure about old pros knocking about,"

This is a quote from an article I just read on The Athletic, from ex-Morecambe player Kevin Ellison. It just made me think whether this reasoning could have been a large factor in the freezing out of Hutchinson and Westwood. Of course, we'll probably never know the full reasoning, but it does make you wonder

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tony Pulis said:

This is a quote from an article I just read on The Athletic, from ex-Morecambe player Kevin Ellison. It just made me think whether this reasoning could have been a large factor in the freezing out of Hutchinson and Westwood. Of course, we'll probably never know the full reasoning, but it does make you wonder

Old pros and quality players are difficult at times but they win you games, they just need managing, a bit of give and take. 

• Like 2

Luhukay and Monk didn't seem to feel that way about other senior players like Fletcher, Nuhiu, Bannan, Lees, Lee or Palmer. It goes beyond what is suggested here I reckon. Look at just about any change of manager at all levels and in all circumstances. The new boss will usually set about replacing as many players as he practically can. I've always assumed it was insecurity about the previous regime getting any credit for anything that is achieved. For example, Trevor Francis will always face the charge that he only did what he did because he inherited such a good squad from Ron Atkinson. Even when we were skint the rapid turnover of players continued as managers were replaced.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Tony Pulis said:

Oh great 

Another thread lamenting the might ‘westy’ and ‘hutch’

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

4 hours ago, Tony Pulis said:

Defo something in this. 

Any manager needs to be the boss.

Takes a very strong character to carry on with old pros doubting their every move.