So which players do you think will come/sign/return?

1 minute ago, sheriwozgod said:

I agree.....................my fear is with this type of player that if , say , a Middlesbro or Preston also bid for him then last nightsdnews will put us behind the  8 ball

Dont think most players give throw, depends who offers the most money. Strangely, now the FFP cloud has been lifted we're probably in a better position to do that. 

Some established EPL players might be put off, but not the market we are shopping in anyway. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pieman said:

Following COVID and the financial implications, barring the obvious promoted and parachute clubs, everyone is offering their players lower terms. I have read that across a number of clubs websites. So, if we want players, it will not be a problem, if we pay more salary. I agree with a previous poster, very, very few players will be put off by the -12 if the money adds up. The question is, will the money add up, given the spotlight is on us. If it isn’t, given the lack of DoF, Chansiris inexperience, evil overlord Paxo, we are definitely in for a tough season.

that said, cometh the hour, cometh the man. When you throw youngsters into the firing line, they can go one of two ways. Being an optimist, maybe a couple of our unknown youngsters could become a game change, given the exposure. It can happen...

We would also be in a stronger position than most, if gates are restricted to 25% of capacity due to Coved measures

• Like 1

Could we not try and sign players on a 12 month contract, they are playing in the Championship regardless, if it doesn't work and we are relegated they get to move on, if we survive they may re-sign?

Don't forget Stoke, Brum, Boro etc started on zero and were worried about relegation near the end. No one knows what will happen.

In a way, I think it’s a reality check and wake up call that was needed and well overdue. 

for the majority of the last two decades we have been pretty awful. Yet after a season or so of being close to the top we (collective of owner, fans, players....) seem to think we have a divine right to win in what is arguably the toughest league in the world. 

Now, maybe just maybe we will fight for the right to win, assemble a group of players that battle and work hard. Not just turn up and think the opposition will let us play nice football. We have lacked that grit, that battle, that determination for the last two or three seasons especially. Living off past glories and reputations, that were inflated at best and got us what we deserved, To be outfought and outthought. 

Honestly I've no idea what players we're looking at because I've no idea as to what style of play we're trying to go with. Are we a passing side? Are we a get it down the wings and cross it side? Are we a direct long ball side? I ain't got a clue.

Until we work out an identity we ain't attracting anything decent.

1 minute ago, Philb125 said:

In a way, I think it’s a reality check and wake up call that was needed and well overdue. 

for the majority of the last two decades we have been pretty awful. Yet after a season or so of being close to the top we (collective of owner, fans, players....) seem to think we have a divine right to win in what is arguably the toughest league in the world. 

Now, maybe just maybe we will fight for the right to win, assemble a group of players that battle and work hard. Not just turn up and think the opposition will let us play nice football. We have lacked that grit, that battle, that determination for the last two or three seasons especially. Living off past glories and reputations, that were inflated at best and got us what we deserved, To be outfought and outthought. 

Spot on mate. This could end up being a blessing. I just hope Chansiri recognises he needs help.

• Like 1

Now it’s a minus 12 start, that almost certainly will influence some existing, contracted players to not want to be here. If so, I’d allow them to move on (without having our pants down). The Manager’s first meeting with players will need to be a “do you want to be here” or “are you up for the fight” type conversation.

On new players, it’s similar to the Sean Dyche interview that was posted. You need players who will buy into the club and it’s predicament. That’s going to be awfully tough to find players committed enough coupled with the ability.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I don’t really want to get involved with individual players, probably for most, it’s possible to find a justification to bring them back. Collectively though, they need to be gone. If they were part of that failing group, and we want the opportunity to properly rebuild, then we surely have to make room for those incomings? As I mentioned earlier, if all the players who we’ve either offered new deals, or contemplated doing so, signed those deals, who of that failing squad would we have banished?

Struggle to justify bringing most back hence highlighting 3 that could offer something in different areas. 

1 minute ago, agentwalker said:

Honestly I've no idea what players we're looking at because I've no idea as to what style of play we're trying to go with. Are we a passing side? Are we a get it down the wings and cross it side? Are we a direct long ball side? I ain't got a clue.

Until we work out an identity we ain't attracting anything decent.

I know people have their own ideas about how we should play, but I think it’s imperative that we modify our approach. It’s too basic, boring, and quite frankly, embarrassing to be playing this way. Also, if we want to attract some of the Premier Leagues brightest young prospects here on loan, then we need to reassure their parent clubs that those players can continue to play football. The loan market is likely to play a major part in our restructuring, so we need to make ourselves appealing suitors

12 minutes ago, megsonstheman said:

Lee is the only one I'd have, maybe Murphy at a push. The rest can stay at their parent clubs as they were all poo . Nuihu needs to move on, he's become too "stale" after 7 years at hillsborough

As though anyone would “have Lee” but only Murphy “at a push”

Take it you don’t actually watch the games and base your opinions on John Pearson’s commentary 

Guest wilyfox

Mercenaries & inexperienced players at this level. They're likely to be our options now. Players with proven quality usually want to compete. Now realistic hope of challenging next season has been dashed even before a ball is kicked, we can't sell them that possibility. 

Just now, wilyfox said:

Mercenaries & inexperienced players at this level. They're likely to be our options now. Players with proven quality usually want to compete. Now realistic hope of challenging next season has been dashed even before a ball is kicked, we can't sell them that possibility. 

True.....unless we offer them more money and/or a longer contract 😀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wilyfox said:

Why are they.

Players don’t pay their mortgages with “challenging” they pay them with cash

And I’m not sure 12 points rules us out of the former anyway

• Like 1

Guest wilyfox
Just now, Pieman said:

True.....unless we offer them more money and/or a longer contract 😀

So mercenaries then, like I said.