So which players do you think will come/sign/return?

13 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That's the worry though mate

Anyone WILL come for the money

But we have our clubs future at stake next season with this -12 point deduction

Absolutely agree with you, just saying as we've seen with Wolves and Newcastle you can attract genuine continental and world class quality to this league if your willing to pay.

As we've experienced first hand, you can pay big money/wages for past it player with no resale value and lead to financial trouble.

Edited by Blue and white
  • Like 1

I don’t see what’s changed All those who were suggesting we needed a big clear out, must have been confident we could rebuild effectively. Surely in their minds, all those players would have been part of the problem, and part of the opportunity to refurbish the squad. 
Though I was wary of undertaking such a major rebuild, the opportunity is there to get it done. The only thing the points deficit has done, in my opinion, is to focus our minds to get the squad in place, sooner rather than later. We cannot afford a slow start, which means not waiting until the end of the window to do our business

• Like 4

The current crop of players have been found totally wanting when the chips were down. For all they knew, points on the board in the last part of the season could have been vital if the deduction had taken place now. Seen more life in a tin of alka seltzer. I wouldn’t want many of them behind me in a scrap that’s for sure. Massive clear out required and very astute recruitment by a very street wise  and motivational manager. Over to you D.C.   

Depends what salary we are offering. Don’t think players won’t come because we start on -12, if we offer them a big enough incentive then they will come. Look at Fletcher. 

Problem is it’s not these players that we want. We don’t want ‘names’ coming for a final or easy pay day. We want those that are hungry to succeed and make a name for themselves.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Agreed

He may have potential but he's definitely NOT what's needed next season

Is that the same DaCruz that the manager described as “ the sort of player we should be signing”

* comment about player not manager ( I’ve stopped commenting on the manager)

24 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Jonson Clarke-Harris from Bristol .  they will sell this summer as coming into final year of contract. Good unit, good finisher and 26 years old. Doesn’t mess about on the pitch and will be a good lead striker for us. 

If we able to spend  then this , and young loanees has to be the way forward.

I just fear that even the likes of Clarke-Harris would be tempted elsewhere after last nights news.

Our cloth will have to be re-cut............freebies like Kieron Freeman and Tyler Blackett who people would have previously turned their noses up at will now be the market we are dealing in.

Edited by sheriwozgod

30 minutes ago, jack whitham said:

Only Lee out of that list please.

Lee has been one of my favourite players of recent years, but even though the know-how and effort can still be seen he is weaker and slower than he was. 

He’s now too easily dispossessed. He can’t quite get to the ball. He doesn’t quite make it into those thru-balls. He loses more tackles and makes more fouls.

I won’t be sorry if he gets a season, but sadly don’t think he would be missed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Devonstrix said:

The current crop of players have been found totally wanting when the chips were down. For all they knew, points on the board in the last part of the season could have been vital if the deduction had taken place now. Seen more life in a tin of alka seltzer. I wouldn’t want many of them behind me in a scrap that’s for sure. Massive clear out required and very astute recruitment by a very street wise  and motivational manager. Over to you D.C.   

Thats the narrative, and yet we apparently offered new terms to Fletcher, Fox and Forestieri. Now we are considering new deals for Lee and Nuhiu? I’m really struggling to understand our thinking here. The manager has been very vocal about the need for a clear out, and a major rebuild, so had all those players accepted their new deals, who exactly would have left?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Plonk said:

Is that the same DaCruz that the manager described as “ the sort of player we should be signing”

* comment about player not manager ( I’ve stopped commenting on the manager)

Can't see many foreign players wanting to uproot in these times to join a team that looks in as precarious position as ours. I think it'll be UK based players. Obviously not saying thats a bad thing, there are plenty of footballers to look at. I just hope we can get some of them in in time. 

Just now, gurujuan said:

Thats the narrative, and yet we apparently offered new terms to Fletcher, Fox and Forestieri. Now we are considering new deals for Lee and Nuhiu? I’m really struggling to understand our thinking here. The manager has been very vocal about the need for a clear out, and a major rebuild, so had all those players accepted their new deals, who exactly would have left?

And exactly how much say is the manager getting in that?

Owlstalk Shop

I think we have a huge job on, signing players. 

We've got one so that's a start, but it needs a huge rebuild and we are on - 12 already. Our saleable assets could also be tempted to look elsewhere. 

Big month needed and it could get very bumpy. 

Edited by Maddogbob

We need players with a strong mental attitude, winners. Certain players imo will give up before a ball has been kicked and feel sorry for themselves. I just don’t know if we are now going to be able to attract the type of players we need. We need/needed a massive squad rebuild this summer, that isn’t going to be so easy now, the only way we will attract any half decent players imo will be by over spending on wages which is the last thing we should be doing. 

Edited by WalthamOwl
  • Like 1