So which players do you think will come/sign/return?

I bet there are some decent in the lower leagues as it has been proved in the past that can do as good a job as Abdi, Jones, Cruz Rhodes..... Do you think they would rather play for Gillingham, Donny, Rochdale etc in league 1 or Wednesday in the Championship on -21 points? If we get relegated they are still in a better place and it gives them a season in the shop window.

Also most younger hungry players will have the confidence to say 'I'm good enough to get us out of this', more so than journeymen after a last payday.

• Like 1

Just now, Beany71 said:

I bet there are some decent in the lower leagues as it has been proved in the past that can do as good a job as Abdi, Jones, Cruz Rhodes..... Do you think they would rather play for Gillingham, Donny, Rochdale etc in league 1 or Wednesday in the Championship on -21 points? If we get relegated they are still in a better place and it gives them a season in the shop window.

Also most younger hungry players will have the confidence to say 'I'm good enough to get us out of this', more so than journeymen after a last payday.

Problem being is that by the time you've sussed out if they're good enough or not to make the step up we could be relegated

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, Beany71 said:

It’s a nice idea mate, but young talent in the lower leagues, generally cost big money For example, take Ivan Toney, one of the more promising lower league strikers, and someone who might have a good chance of making the step up, how much would he cost?

There are plenty of players who will buy into the concept of playing for what is still a massive football club. They are generally not so short sighted as to think, don’t bother as promotion's not on the cards next season. They need to be convinced by the manager that they are going to be part of an exciting rebuilding project, playing for some of the best fans in the world (well, away at least) and that promotion will be very much the aim after ensuring a safe finish this coming season. DC will have a very good idea by now, what the players generally think of Monk as a manager. If he thinks the good eggs actually like him and more importantly, respect him as a coach, he should give him a chance with his own staff. If the feedback from the good eggs is that he just doesn’t have what it takes to motivate a squad, he should make his decision accordingly based also on what he has seen from him so far. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Devonstrix said:

There are plenty of players who will buy into the concept of playing for what is still a massive football club. They are generally not so short sighted as to think, don’t bother as promotion's not on the cards next season. They need to be convinced by the manager that they are going to be part of an exciting rebuilding project, playing for some of the best fans in the world (well, away at least) and that promotion will be very much the aim after ensuring a safe finish this coming season. DC will have a very good idea by now, what the players generally think of Monk as a manager. If he thinks the good eggs actually like him and more importantly, respect him as a coach, he should give him a chance with his own staff. If the feedback from the good eggs is that he just doesn’t have what it takes to motivate a squad, he should make his decision accordingly based also on what he has seen from him so far. 

Massive 😂😂😂

Guest wilyfox

Another problem we could face is the potential salary cap on the squad being proposed. That may stop DC from lining player's pockets to make it worth their while coming here despite the deduction. 

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It’s a nice idea mate, but young talent in the lower leagues, generally cost big money For example, take Ivan Toney, one of the more promising lower league strikers, and someone who might have a good chance of making the step up, how much would he cost?

I think there are some below this level that are still affordable and offer potential to develop and progress. 

Goode for example, the 6’5 commanding, captain is reportable available for 500-750k or as I like to think of it, less than Hutchinson cost in wages! 

There are quite a few examples I’m sure that not only offer value for money, but would improve on our threadbare squad and offer potential to improve and profit off. 

4 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I think there are some below this level that are still affordable and offer potential to develop and progress. 

Goode for example, the 6’5 commanding, captain is reportable available for 500-750k or as I like to think of it, less than Hutchinson cost in wages! 

There are quite a few examples I’m sure that not only offer value for money, but would improve on our threadbare squad and offer potential to improve and profit off. 

True, but you won’t find many bargains like that in attacking areas, and that’s the department we need to prioritise Must admit, I was impressed with Goode in that play off final. A rock in an effective Northampton side, but OMG, weren’t they a hard watch, despite the goals

1 hour ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

Good managers attract players ,We need one 4 wins in 23 and some still defend Monk .

So bored of posts like this....re -read my posts from the Monk thread,and come back and post a critique of the points made..(simply cant debate this,over & over).direct your criticism where it belongs,or

cut & paste any post of yours from Xmas(or before) where you thought Monk was sh8te.....Cos if you cant,how many match's would Cook or pearson get before the same?

Edited by parajack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Whilst I agree, the idea is not to go for the 'big named lower league players like Toney. They don't have to be the next Brooks etc, but I'm sure there are plenty of centre halves that given the chance are as good as Tom Lees, players that can run for ever like Reach but will also get stuck in. Let's be honest most of our squad would not pull up any tree's in league one but are probably on twice the wage!

I hate to say it but no one had heard of half the players across the city but they are battling organised workhorses, look at them now.

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

True, but you won’t find many bargains like that in attacking areas, and that’s the department we need to prioritise Must admit, I was impressed with Goode in that play off final. A rock in an effective Northampton side, but OMG, weren’t they a hard watch, despite the goals

I think you’ll find more bargains like this than 10m rated strikers like Tony was my point but i agree. 

The thing is, we don’t need a squad of talent, we need a squad of heart, fight and spirit first and foremost. Teams such as Barnsley, Millwall, Luton etc don’t beat others on this league because of the quality of the players so to say. We’ve lost that fight, instead believing we have a right to do what we want. 

Quality can come later, for me I just want a team/squad of players that compete. If that means shipping out some of my / fan favourites so be it. But shipping can wait as we have too many gaps to plug first. 

• Like 1

I’d be extremely pleased if both Windass and wickam returned. I think big dave should be offered a chance to come back purely because, at this point, we don’t have other reliable options up top. 

As with dave, I’d happily take Kieran lee back. Not the player he was a few seasons back but we need someone senior and experienced as I think we will have some more youngsters in and around the squad next season. I hope Alex Hunt has a good pre season because with him, Luongo, banan (if he stays), the lad from man city then we have good competition in that area which is exactly what we need.

• Like 1

As someone said earlier, aiming for mid table or around 62 points should avoid relegation and leave a base to push on the year after. Achieving a squad for this should be reasonably easy given the current situation.

Loads of high earners off the wage bill and plenty of places to fill with mid table type players won't be expensive given how many players of this type have been released by other clubs.

• Like 2

To those saying the answer is 'young, hungry players from the lower leagues'....

I read an article about what went wrong for Lee Johnson at Bristol City. Apparently last close season they decided on a policy of buying 'young hungry players from the lower leagues' but, almost without exception, the ones they brought in weren't up to Championship standard and the team struggled.

Of course it can be done. Look at United who have a successful Premier league team built on players from Portsmouth and Blackpool and Coventry etc. I'm just saying it's not as easy as some on here would have us believe.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

I’d be extremely pleased if both Windass and wickam returned. I think big dave should be offered a chance to come back purely because, at this point, we don’t have other reliable options up top. 

As with dave, I’d happily take Kieran lee back. Not the player he was a few seasons back but we need someone senior and experienced as I think we will have some more youngsters in and around the squad next season. I hope Alex Hunt has a good pre season because with him, Luongo, banan (if he stays), the lad from man city then we have good competition in that area which is exactly what we need.

Why on earth would you be pleased for Wickham to return? 

• Like 1