So which players do you think will come/sign/return?

I just can’t help thinking about Bolton and their slide down to league 2.  It’s very rare that a team with a large points deduction stays up, and mainly I think it’s because it’s a sinking ship. A 4 game deficit shouldn’t be that hard to turn around in a 46 game season, but the trouble is having a team that’s good enough to win games. 

We need a strong manager to start with who can attract players and make a “us against the world“ siege mentality.

Not sure we will get that sadly 

5 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

If we able to spend  then this , and young loanees has to be the way forward.

I just fear that even the likes of Clarke-Harris would be tempted elsewhere after last nights news.

Our cloth will have to be re-cut............freebies like Kieron Freeman and Tyler Blackett who people would have previously turned their noses up at will now be the market we are dealing in.

Thing with Clarke Harris he is probably earning 2k a week. He surely would be tempted by tripling his wages at least irrespective of last nights news

Armand Gnanduillet Is available on a free and might be worth a look

Hard to gage exactly the type of player you’d need would be - as we haven’t been in this position before of being up against it before we’ve started. 

Heroic and vibrant with an old head on their shoulders I would say... some guys that have no comfort zone whatsoever... hard to find in modern football... mixed with a hardened defender and target man. 

It really is a fight for our lives. 

If we re-signed Lee, it would be for his experience amongst a group of very young players. The amount of games we would get from him would be questionable? That said I would like to see him integrated into the coaching set-up at S6. Has far more of an aura per se than say Bullen for a variety of reasons?

I think Nuhiu is ready for a fresh challenge and I for one wouldn't begrudge him that?

Depending on how much Murphy enjoyed his time here would be a big factor on him potentially returning but given the current situation at Newcastle I could see Bruce giving him another chance there?

Windass would come back but the problem with him is he could be another Reach in the sense of where does he best fit in the team?

Wickham and Da Cruz won't be back?

Edited by Jim

38 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I think Atty is leaving for a fresh challenge and good on him. He will leave with my best wishes.

I can see Kieran Lee re-signing. We are still a better team with him in it even tho he’s not the Kieran Lee of old. We should swerve Connor Wickham and Jacob Murphy will have better offers than us. Da Cruz isn’t good enough. Potentially, we could go for Windass and I’m 50/50 on this as I still don’t know what is his best position. 

I'd take Lee (contract based on appearances), murphy and windass. Not sure murphy would come given the position we are in.

The decision to release players was correct, I dont want to see us resigning anyone else. 

Of the loans, I think Windass is the most likely on a permanent deal. 

Monk spoke of developing a younger  more dynamic squad. We've got experience in the team and we'll always be a draw for some players, lower league, foreign or certain EPL academy players, regardless of whether we are promotion candidates.

Let's use this opportunity to invest in the squad, develop saleable assets and put us on a sustainable footing to build for a promotion challenge. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

we need a team that probably needs to  get 62 points which is usually around 12th .........with a few additions theres no reason to think we couldnt achieve that 

Agree, we were only 6 points short of this after a woeful second half of the season. One of the issues here is time, we can't afford to rush in and get anyone but on the other hand the season is only 5 weeks away. Massive few weeks ahead. 

6 minutes ago, JOCOWl said:

I'd take Lee (contract based on appearances), murphy and windass. Not sure murphy would come given the position we are in.

I don’t really want to get involved with individual players, probably for most, it’s possible to find a justification to bring them back. Collectively though, they need to be gone. If they were part of that failing group, and we want the opportunity to properly rebuild, then we surely have to make room for those incomings? As I mentioned earlier, if all the players who we’ve either offered new deals, or contemplated doing so, signed those deals, who of that failing squad would we have banished?

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1

Guest everydays_wednesday
20 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

I think we have a huge job on, signing players. 

We've got one so that's a start, but it needs a huge rebuild and we are on - 12 already. Our saleable assets could also be tempted to look elsewhere. 

Big month needed and it could get very bumpy. 

I agree....trouble is we have 1 month and -12 points to do what we haven’t been able to do in 20 odd years 😔

How does this affect us FFP wise ? So we have the points deduction but what money have we lost over the last 2 years ?? 

Money talks and if we are able to pay out money (not to the Rhodes Fletcher calibrate but a decent wage) then this could be sold as a positive to a player. But  it needs to be done club wide, which to me mean a new manager coaching staff and policy. 

19 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

Thing with Clarke Harris he is probably earning 2k a week. He surely would be tempted by tripling his wages at least irrespective of last nights news

Armand Gnanduillet Is available on a free and might be worth a look

I agree.....................my fear is with this type of player that if , say , a Middlesbro or Preston also bid for him then last nightsdnews will put us behind the  8 ball

Edited by sheriwozgod

Following COVID and the financial implications, barring the obvious promoted and parachute clubs, everyone is offering their players lower terms. I have read that across a number of clubs websites. So, if we want players, it will not be a problem, if we pay more salary. I agree with a previous poster, very, very few players will be put off by the -12 if the money adds up. The question is, will the money add up, given the spotlight is on us. If it isn’t, given the lack of DoF, Chansiris inexperience, evil overlord Paxo, we are definitely in for a tough season.

that said, cometh the hour, cometh the man. When you throw youngsters into the firing line, they can go one of two ways. Being an optimist, maybe a couple of our unknown youngsters could become a game change, given the exposure. It can happen...

Guest The Claw
1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

I think the two are VERY VERY different and separate things

We could end up back where we started where we have a squad of players who have only come for the massive contracts needed to convince them to come here

Monks already said it, young hungry players are his aim - seems he knew the independent panel decision long before it was announced