MATT PENNEY Gets Extended Contract

5 hours ago, beswetherick said:

Iorfa, Börner, Lees and 1 more (JvA or a new signing) at centre half. That’s not a terrible set of options defensively to be fair... we just need a proper coach to organise them now

Agreed. Hope Monk can turn it round given a full summer, not convinced tho

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

To my Knowledge all these 12 month contracts are just one year extensions on there current deals. Think we exercise that option and it just adds a year to the deal on all the same terms as before. In Penney's case he probably didnt want that to happen but from what I understand he wouldnt have much choice. Means if he does want to stay in Germany at least now we can command a fee.  So the reason they are all 12 month contracts is purely down to us just doing the simple thing of exercising our extension clauses. Nothing to do with how we value them by not putting them on longer deals.

and your knowledge is ?...……...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, beswetherick said:

Iorfa, Börner, Lees and 1 more (JvA or a new signing) at centre half. That’s not a terrible set of options defensively to be fair... we just need a proper coach to organise them now

Think Uroghide is a CB myself so would

look to make him 4th choice. I’d move Lees on if possible and bring in another (well I’d keep Hutch and play him there but with the Ginger Clown around it won’t happen)

54 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Honestly dont know where I know that from or even if it is 100% correct.

It is correct. They sign a 2 year deal with an option of a third. It’s basically a 3 year contract where we can bin them off a year early if there crap or injured 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

To my Knowledge all these 12 month contracts are just one year extensions on there current deals. Think we exercise that option and it just adds a year to the deal on all the same terms as before. In Penney's case he probably didnt want that to happen but from what I understand he wouldnt have much choice. Means if he does want to stay in Germany at least now we can command a fee.  So the reason they are all 12 month contracts is purely down to us just doing the simple thing of exercising our extension clauses. Nothing to do with how we value them by not putting them on longer deals.

Sounds plausable, low risk, low cost. Buys time to negotiate a new contract next season, or release depending how they perform.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SwellOwl said:

3 signed up for next season, good to see some productivity. 

Though asks the question, is everyone going to get their contracts extended?

I bloody hope not, new contract for Fletcher, the rest can go ASAP. (Have a horrible feeling we will give Nuhiu a new deal though) Whatever business we do this summer, or for many many summers in the future, no deal will be as bad as extending the contract of Pelupessy. 

• Like 2

I'd say this is a positive news. 

He's still quite young and has something about him. Looked like a real prospect, but then went a bit off the boil/got injured. 

Suppose the club are being somewhat proactive, even though renewing Joey P's contract was hardly inspiring news. 

9 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

I bloody hope not, new contract for Fletcher, the rest can go ASAP. (Have a horrible feeling we will give Nuhiu a new deal though) Whatever business we do this summer, or for many many summers in the future, no deal will be as bad as extending the contract of Pelupessy. 

Question for both us and Fletcher too is he willing to take what will be a pretty big paycut to stay on board?

There is no way we are renewing for what he has been reportedly on for the last few years. Likewise, there is no way anyone is offering him close to what he was on with us for the last few years. 

Something will have to give on that one. 

Edited by SiJ

6 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Question for both us and Fletcher too is he willing to take what will be a pretty big paycut to stay on board?

There is no way we are renewing for what he has been reportedly on for the last few years. Likewise, there is no way anyone is offering him close to what he was on with us for the last few years. 

Something will have to give on that one. 

good point, he’s a player that wont be short of offers from other clubs, like you say I doubt he would get anywhere near what we have been paying him unless he gets a move to America or China (not sure how many players will be fancying moves to either country though). Really hope we do keep him though, quality player. 

8 hours ago, camffiti said:

Lyle Taylor replacing Fletcher? 

If we're dramatically reducing the wage bill I think Taylor might end up being beyond us. With him being on a free I think he'll have a lot of options and reckon we might see him move to a club at the top end of the league, Fulham or Forest somewhere like that.

1 minute ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

If we're dramatically reducing the wage bill I think Taylor might end up being beyond us. With him being on a free I think he'll have a lot of options and reckon we might see him move to a club at the top end of the league, Fulham or Forest somewhere like that.

By all accounts someone has offered him "life changing" money to move in the summer, according to Lee Bowyer. 

That is why Taylor is refusing to play for Charlton because he does not want to scupper the move. 

"Life changing" would suggest someone is offering the 15 to 20k a week bracket imo. 

3 minutes ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

be very surprised if it’s us as much as I would like it to be though. I had a feeling it could be Bristol City, not sure why though 🙂

Just now, SiJ said:

By all accounts someone has offered him "life changing" money to move in the summer, according to Lee Bowyer. 

That is why Taylor is refusing to play for Charlton because he does not want to scupper the move. 

"Life changing" would suggest someone is offering the 15 to 20k a week bracket imo. 

Yeah, although I read that as he will get life changing money, rather than he's already been offered it. Either way I'd be very surprised if it didn't happen, he could potentially be a great signing for anyone.

Regarding Fletcher, I imagine his preference will be to stay at the club, as he's indicated he's settled here and enjoys it, the stumbling block with players his age though might be the length of the contract, he'll be desperate for a 2 year deal and I'm not sure if we're in a position to offer it.

2 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

be very surprised if it’s us as much as I would like it to be though. I had a feeling it could be Bristol City, not sure why though 🙂

I could see them being priced out as well to be honest, they spend a bit on transfers occasionally after a big player sale, but the owner there keeps a pretty ship with the wage budget. I always picture him going to West Brom for some reason, but you'd think they're probably heading up.

Pleased Penney has a new deal.

Personally don’t think Uroghide will ever be good enough: some of the basics of defending simply aren’t there.

JP is a muscular James O Connor - runs around but never gets a tackle or a block in. If, by chance, he ends up with the ball he has no idea what to do with it apart from give it to the nearest player. It’s no exaggeration to say I have played with better players in my achingly average Saturday league career.

11 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

It’s no exaggeration to say I have played with better players in my achingly average Saturday league career.

It is an exaggeration though isnt is. How many of them players you played with are currently, of have previously played professional football.