MATT PENNEY Gets Extended Contract

3 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

It is an exaggeration though isnt is. How many of them players you played with are currently, of have previously played professional football.

Ok, it’s an exaggeration. Although I have played at a reasonable level with lads who have gone on to (or come down from) professional leagues. It just seems to me that he works hard (should be the minimum expectation) but never achieves anything. Reminds me of a game of piggy in the middle: if the outside players do it properly then the other guy runs round like an idiot.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Ok, it’s an exaggeration. Although I have played at a reasonable level with lads who have gone on to (or come down from) professional leagues. It just seems to me that he works hard (should be the minimum expectation) but never achieves anything. Reminds me of a game of piggy in the middle: if the outside players do it properly then the other guy runs round like an idiot.

He does an ok job at what he is. A back up midfielder for a middle of the road championship team. We cant have 4 midfielders all of equal quality to Bannan can we, and we cant expect everyone we sign to be brilliant. Why because we ain't Man City or Liverpool. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

He does an ok job at what he is. A back up midfielder for a middle of the road championship team. We cant have 4 midfielders all of equal quality to Bannan can we, and we cant expect everyone we sign to be brilliant. Why because we ain't Man City or Liverpool. 

I get that, and in a weird way I like JP: he obviously gives his all, enjoys playing here but he is a very, very limited footballer. I know everyone needs a Carlton Palmer, a Deschamps, a Henderson... but at whatever equivalence they are they need to at least win the ball, then ideally find a better footballer.

Unfortunately JP rarely does either. To me it smacks of either a cheap option or someone Monk knows will happily toe the line. Although that’s obviously just speculation on my part.

12 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

I get that, and in a weird way I like JP: he obviously gives his all, enjoys playing here but he is a very, very limited footballer. I know everyone needs a Carlton Palmer, a Deschamps, a Henderson... but at whatever equivalence they are they need to at least win the ball, then ideally find a better footballer.

Unfortunately JP rarely does either. To me it smacks of either a cheap option or someone Monk knows will happily toe the line. Although that’s obviously just speculation on my part.

Think he plays better in a three man midfield and that maybe what Monk wants to try next season. But Monk must see something in him are he wouldn't have kept him on. And it's not just because he toes the line or anything like that because a promoted Youngster from the U23 could have easily have done that for Monk on probably 8 times less the wage.

25 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Think he plays better in a three man midfield and that maybe what Monk wants to try next season. But Monk must see something in him are he wouldn't have kept him on. And it's not just because he toes the line or anything like that because a promoted Youngster from the U23 could have easily have done that for Monk on probably 8 times less the wage.

He will definitely be better in a 3 man midfield, hopefully if he wins the ball it makes his life easier having more options.

Look, I hope it ends up well for him, I really do, but I see him as James O Connor with biceps 

15 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

He will definitely be better in a 3 man midfield, hopefully if he wins the ball it makes his life easier having more options.

Look, I hope it ends up well for him, I really do, but I see him as James O Connor with biceps 

Even without biceps JoC managed 8 goals for us and won his games of piggy in the middle every now and again! 

On 05/06/2020 at 01:07, pazowl55 said:

Thing is he will always have played in a 3 man midfield.

Growing up and at senior level in Holland that’s all they play.

His biggest problem is knowing where to stand. In a 2 man he looks lost and he doesn’t know where to go when playing the sitting role in a 3. I don’t think he is a sitting midfielder, his strength if he has one is his running and we should be letting him use it.

• Like 1

He needed a new contract regardless of what happens with Fox. Pre shoulder injury Penney looked really impressive and has all the attributes needed for a wide position, a bit like Reach.

Fox is a much better defender, Penney just looks a bit more graceful going forward. It’s whether he can fit in a 442

• Like 1

On 04/06/2020 at 23:35, SiJ said:

Question for both us and Fletcher too is he willing to take what will be a pretty big paycut to stay on board?

There is no way we are renewing for what he has been reportedly on for the last few years. Likewise, there is no way anyone is offering him close to what he was on with us for the last few years. 

Something will have to give on that one. 

I bet it will be who will offer the longest deal. That’s what got him last time 

5 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

He needed a new contract regardless of what happens with Fox. Pre shoulder injury Penney looked really impressive and has all the attributes needed for a wide position, a bit like Reach.

Fox is a much better defender, Penney just looks a bit more graceful going forward. It’s whether he can fit in a 442

I think Fox is a rather poor defender. I can't remember him stoping opposite winger for a long time.

His performances improved when he stopped trying and dropped deeper to protect near post. But this is not what you want from your full backs as it stretches midfield and leaves midfielders to do far too much.

Penney got potential to be teriffic defender as he showed in his first few games with us. Got energy, reaction and pace to defend against most wingers in this league. 

Still, defending is a team game and if everyone is not doing his job team will struggle.

2 hours ago, malek said:

I think Fox is a rather poor defender. I can't remember him stoping opposite winger for a long time.

His performances improved when he stopped trying and dropped deeper to protect near post. But this is not what you want from your full backs as it stretches midfield and leaves midfielders to do far too much.

Penney got potential to be teriffic defender as he showed in his first few games with us. Got energy, reaction and pace to defend against most wingers in this league. 

Still, defending is a team game and if everyone is not doing his job team will struggle.

Someone like Fox has probably played centre half at some stage growing up, his stance sometimes seems like he converted from that. You’d rather have Fox in the side defending set plays for example and he added more height and presence than Pudil when he first arrived but got a bit nervous in the big games. Penney is a different player in terms of what he offers but I think we would need both options 

2 hours ago, malek said:

penney's defending wasn't terrific in the first few games  , he kept going missing  at the back from game one and by the time he was left out the crowd were beginning to get on his back  …...fox blows him out the water when it comes to defending 

• Like 1

Just now, WalthamOwl said:

Personally hope he establishes himself as our first choice LB for next season. Reports from Germany seem good and the lad seems to have something about him. 

so do I ,be delighted if he turns out to be the next nigel Worthington …….whats these reports you've seen ?

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

penney's defending wasn't terrific in the first few games  , he kept going missing  at the back from game one and by the time he was left out the crowd were beginning to get on his back  …...fox blows him out the water when it comes to defending 

How Fox blows anyone with his defending when he constantly backs off wingers running down his side. Our wingers and central midfielders bust their guts running after them.

Though I agree with previous poster who says that he looks like central defender and does well at defensive set-pieces.

In first 3 or 4 games Penney stopped numrous crosses from going into our box, but then he looked more interested in attacking side of play and his defensive game suffered. But, as I already said he is equiped to defend against pacy wingers at this level.

46 minutes ago, torryowl said:

so do I ,be delighted if he turns out to be the next nigel Worthington …….whats these reports you've seen ?

Well, no need to look further then most important statistic. St Pauli got 19 points from games he started. Take those away and they would be relegated by now. 

Just now, malek said:

How Fox blows anyone with his defending when he constantly backs off wingers running down his side. Our wingers and central midfielders bust their guts running after them.

Though I agree with previous poster who says that he looks like central defender and does well at defensive set-pieces.

In first 3 or 4 games Penney stopped numrous crosses from going into our box, but then he looked more interested in attacking side of play and his defensive game suffered. But, as I already said he is equiped to defend against pacy wingers at this level.

that's ridiculous … ive never seen harris, FF,reach  or anyone else who plays on the left busting a gut covering for fox …….fox is good defensively that's why he keeps getting picked the club are trying to re sign him and other clubs are reportedly interested in him …..penney defending left a lot to be desired any body who watched the games could see that .going forward he was fine but defensively he consistently went missing which is probably the reason he was  shifted further forward and the club decided to send him out on loan to hopefully learn .

• Like 1