Latest Plans on Finishing The Season

2 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

These folks shouldn't really be working if they can't do safe social distancing, footballers will be in very close contact in competitive games. 

The PHE guidelines for mere mortals are vaguer then that. 

5 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Players whose contracts expire this summer will be allowed to have them extended until the season finishes. 

So you could get the situation where the players a club wants to release will have their contracts extended but the players the clubs want to keep refuse and move on?

Stunning

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Players whose contracts expire this summer will be allowed to have them extended until the season finishes. 

If they want to risk one months pay against a serious injury or contracting covid 19

Depends how much they need an extra months pay, somehow I don't think they need it

53 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

No idea how to post a link but 1 in 400 on today’s bbc and 1 in 100000 yesterday’s guardian...given that neither of these media outlets are shy of making a mountain of a molehill it just goes to show what a farce this has been. Asking young healthy footballers to play football in empty stadiums is not akin to going over the top at the Somme as many would like to portray it. 

No one is arguing that the statistics show anything other than low risk of that for generally healthy people under the age of 40. But there's much more to the overall situation than simply whether young men are likely to die from the virus or not.

I am a naturally cynical person, and I'm open to any kind of possibility if the evidence is there to support it. However, I'm still waiting for a coherent explanation for why Governments would voluntarily wreck their own economies in this way and how ordinary people all around the world have been persuaded to participate in this conspiracy for no obvious gain.

8 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

No one is arguing that the statistics show anything other than low risk of that for generally healthy people under the age of 40. But there's much more to the overall situation than simply whether young men are likely to die from the virus or not.

I am a naturally cynical person, and I'm open to any kind of possibility if the evidence is there to support it. However, I'm still waiting for a coherent explanation for why Governments would voluntarily wreck their own economies in this way and how ordinary people all around the world have been persuaded to participate in this conspiracy for no obvious gain.

It's not a low risk it is essentially a non-risk and it's not just under 40s it is anyone in decent health under the age of 60. Staging football matches in empty stadiums shouldn't be beyond the wit of man.

1 minute ago, kobayashi said:

It's not a low risk it is essentially a non-risk and it's not just under 40s it is anyone in decent health under the age of 60. Staging football matches in empty stadiums shouldn't be beyond the wit of man.

So why are the government purposely losing billions of pounds of tax and paying out billions of pounds to individuals for something that is a 'non-risk'?

1 minute ago, kobayashi said:

The positive tests have started already (one club each here and in Germany so far to my knowledge) and we haven't even kicked off yet.

But your reply only addresses the same narrow window as usual on an aspect that no one is arguing about. To what extent are you going to go to ensure footballers do not have underlying health conditions that increases their risk? Estimates from Germany reckon that it will take something like 25,000 potential individual exposures to finish just the top flight games, so when all of these people go home the numbers who might be directly affected is probably approaching six figures of all kinds of circumstances and that's before you even start on indirect contacts. What is the likelihood for supporters showing up, especially where titles and promotions are on the line? How will you approach the science indicating that strenuous exertion worsens the effects of the virus? Or what about research indicating that even those who recover may suffer long term or even permanent organ damage that leads to future health issues? Then there are the new fears about Kawasaki Syndrome which apparently targets an age group previously thought to be relatively safe. Are you satisfied that testing methods are thorough and reliable enough to ensure the virus can be kept at bay effectively? What are the implications when (rather than if) players and coaches test positive for infection? Even something unrelated to the disease like the player contracts situation has yet to be satisfactorily resolved, never mind liability for any serious illness.

13 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Estimates from Germany reckon that it will take something like 25,000 potential individual exposures to finish just the top flight games,

There will have been more than that on public transport in London today in one day in confined spaces.

The whole issue is riddled with inconsistencies - I'm being a contrary mary here given I think they are rushing it - but I think given the stats you can see why people think football will be OK.    

4 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

There will have been more than that on public transport in London today in one day in confined spaces.

The whole issue is riddled with inconsistencies - I'm being a contrary mary here given I think they are rushing it - but I think given the stats you can see why people think football will be OK.    

If it was solely an issue of protecting a few hundred footballers, then the statistics seem quite clear. And I'm sure that logic will radiate outwards in the coming weeks to the wider population. But the potential is exponentially more than that, and most of it invisible and delayed. It will be interesting to see what happens to infection and death rates as control measures are loosened.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52665805

Oh f off football...i'm sick of it already..accusations, excuses, finger pointing.  Obviously none of the clubs can agree on the way forward, theres too many variables, agendas and bank accounts which will lead to the owners getting petty.

Just give it Liverpool and let the fans get drunk in the street if it makes them happy.   None of it will change the state of the country.  

9 minutes ago, horny owl said:

If this season restarts it’ll make me hate the modern game even more than I did before

And until now I didn’t realise that was possible

Garden centres have gone back. Do you hate them too? I do. Hate flipping gardening. The devil's work. 

lol

And don't get me started on estate agents. 

Edited by rickygoo

6 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52665805

Oh f off football...i'm sick of it already..accusations, excuses, finger pointing.  Obviously none of the clubs can agree on the way forward, theres too many variables, agendas and bank accounts which will lead to the owners getting petty.

Just give it Liverpool and let the fans get drunk in the street if it makes them happy.   None of it will change the state of the country.  

So the Culture Secretary reckons "...there is combined goodwill to achieve this for their fans, the football community and the nation as a whole". Pass the sick bucket. 

He also added that plans to return should "ensure finances from the game's resumption supports the wider football family". How almost endearingly naive of him. Someone should show him the Premier League's prior record on that score.

6 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Garden centres have gone back. Do you hate them too? I do. Hate flipping gardening. The devil's work. 

lol

Yea but i've never seen anyone spit on the floor, grab a right t3sticle ,kiss on the lips, jump on each others backs or have a pile on in a garden centre.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Yea but i've never seen anyone spit on the floor, grab a right t3sticle ,kiss on the lips, jump on each others backs or have a pile on in a garden centre.

You've clearly never been to the one in Attercliffe after 6pm

• Haha 3

What will happen if one team gets a possitive result and the whole team and opponents have to isolate for 14+ days..  Will they still have to play thier fixtures?  How many players need to be off before the fixture is postponed?. 

Its not a case of if this situation arises but when, footballers are extremely low risk of dying but they can still need to isolate and get ill so unable to play.. 

What if clubs cant afford to pay players an extra months pay for those clubs with lots of players out of contract, could those players demand massive pay rises to play the extea month.  All it will take is one player to refuse and there will be litigation if that team is relegated.

Guest Mcguigan
6 hours ago, horny owl said:

If this season restarts it’ll make me hate the modern game even more than I did before

And until now I didn’t realise that was possible

I see this posted a lot but most never explain why.

Would you care to?