Watching Wednesday away in the 50's and 60's ?

Is there anyone here from those days who recalls going away during that era ? Did Wednesday take many away then ? What was the travel like? Was there trouble in the 50's and 60's ? 

Edited by xploreowl

3 hours ago, xploreowl said:

Is there anyone here from those days who recalls going away during that era ? Did Wednesday take many away then ? What was the travel like? Was there trouble in the 50's and 60's ? 

Went to Main Rd 59/60 season FA CUP semi final.
Big following that day, convoy of coaches over Woodhead. No crowd segregation and no trouble as far as I can remember. Old Trafford season after was same just wandered back to cricket ground coach  park after without a problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blatter said:

Went to Main Rd 59/60 season FA CUP semi final.
Big following that day, convoy of coaches over Woodhead. No crowd segregation and no trouble as far as I can remember. Old Trafford season after was same just wandered back to cricket ground coach  park after without a problem.

So you were at Old Trafford 60-1?  For the league game which ended 0-0?  I was on the unsegregated Stretford End and the date was 5th Nov I think.   Man utd fans were throwing bangers down at the Wednesdayites behind the goal.   I remember coach parked at the cricket ground.  We might have been on the same bus. I was only 13 and it was roughly my 5th away game. I went to 8 away games that season and 20 home. 

• Like 1

I started away in 62 and the away followings what I recall were not like they are today  though back then with no away ends fans were scattered all over the ground so it wasn't easy to judge ……...fa cup games though were a different matter as  we'd take huge numbers with the 18k we took to Chelsea in 67 the standout . 

• Like 2

I was ten years old and sure we were on a hiding to nothing following our 1-1 draw at Hillsborough with Manchester United. Granada Television had commissioned a Calypso song for them around this time so yes, they were big. 

My dad didn't trust me hung on the railings at the front of the terrace so I spent the whole game sat on his shoulders. 

School play ground at Crookesmoor Owls and Blades lads argued the throw about our big match. One thing was for sure in those days it wouldn't be on Telly. So as I left school I was surprised to see my dad calling me from the window of cousin Ray's car. "Come on" he said. "We've got to go somewhere". I didn't twig until we merged with hundreds of Owls fans at Midland Station. It was an on the shoulders job for my Dad again in a lock out old Trafford crowd. What a way to spoil a lad for his first away game 7-2 at old Trafford ! Slept well that night, it would be a couple of years before my next away game.   

• Like 4

Just now, Emerson Thome said:

When did they start segregating home and away fans? I just assumed there had always been an away end...

no mate went on the Stretford end with quite a few other owls first game of the season in 65 , I went again the following season  but i'd learnt my lesson and went on the open end ……..when did segregation come in is a good question probably sometime in the mid  80s as I can remember mixing with home fans in the promotion season in 1980 .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

So you were at Old Trafford 60-1?  For the league game which ended 0-0?  I was on the unsegregated Stretford End and the date was 5th Nov I think.   Man utd fans were throwing bangers down at the Wednesdayites behind the goal.   I remember coach parked at the cricket ground.  We might have been on the same bus. I was only 13 and it was roughly my 5th away game. I went to 8 away games that season and 20 home. 

Sure was, I was on the terrace ( lower, side of the stadium, away from the Stratford End ) can’t say I remember fireworks.  

I was 14 & with my Dad and his mate from work, for a rare away game. I was at Hillsborough for all the home games that season though.  Great times to be an Owl. 

Unfortunately us 70 somethings will have to think long and hard about crowded places like football stadiums in future. Good luck with that my friend,

15 hours ago, torryowl said:

I started away in 62 and the away followings what I recall were not like they are today  though back then with no away ends fans were scattered all over the ground so it wasn't easy to judge ……...fa cup games though were a different matter as  we'd take huge numbers with the 18k we took to Chelsea in 67 the standout . 

I was there at Chelsea in 67 (1st away game) FA Cup quarter final. Match went into injury time and we thought we would stuff them at home in the replay, then Bobby Tambling? miskicked a shot, and the ball crept passed Ron Springett for their winner.  Heartbroken 12 yr old!! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

When did they start segregating home and away fans? I just assumed there had always been an away end...

Late 70s early 80s more and more stadiums started segregated fans, it was still easy to get in home areas though, very few games were ticket only back then. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Come on 

Come on....

Cut to the chase

Let's find out what everyone's itching to know...

WHAT YEAR DID THE FEYTIN AT 'T FOOTY START?

lol

Well, if you want the seedy side of things...

1960-61 I had my scarf whipped off my neck at Bolton.  I got mugged at Everton (I'd taken some progs to swap but someone took a load off me and just ran off.  Got kicked hard when I went after him).   Verbally abused at Burnley when we won there(they were reigning champions!).

1964-5 got another scarf pulled off my neck at Old Trafford.   Threatened by a Burnley fan with a knife in a cafe prematch. He'd tried to push in the queue and I'd pushed him out.  Chased out of Upton Park after we'd won 2-1 by about 50 whu fans. Never did find out why.  Got knocked to the ground and given a good kicking by about 20 hoolies at Brum after someone had spat at my mate for no reason. 

1965-6 coming out of Elland Rd, someone kicked me hard from behind.  I could go on. Forgotten most incidents. 

Apart from Brum, mainly just my pride was hurt. Semi final at villa a Chelsea fan chucked a big apple at us.  I caught it and threw it back harder.  A minute later two burly coppers were marching me out of ground.  Luckily they believed my story and let me in again when we got to the gate!  

Hooliganism was nothing like the 70s and 80s, but I could see it coming. 

Never saw much serious trouble at Hillsboro in the 60s.  I did see man u fans chucking bottles down the Kop in about 1964-5.  And Ron Springetts testimonial against the Blades in about 1967 drew some fighting on the Kop.  I remember Ron turning round and watching a bit of it.  

I hate idiots fighting now. Didn't bother me too much as a teenager.  

I started going to matches regularly in the early 70's and it was commonplace to see fighting, taking a Kop was seen as an achievement and became a regular feature at grounds back then as I remember, I reckon there had been a gradual increase from smaller incidents back in the 60's and possibly earlier, imagine if you had attended an away fixture and been on the end of aggression or verbal abuse back then, when supporters mingled because there was no segregation or anything regarded as a 'Home' or 'Away' end, I would imagine you would retaliate if you were so inclined and when you got home told others about it, and so it spread, that's my guess.

There were various influences including the media I suppose, there were youth cultures teds, mods, rockers, skins, school fought school, rucks with other kids who lived on neighbouring streets and so on were even a part of my growing up, fighting was not unusual anywhere.

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Come on 

Come on....

Cut to the chase

Let's find out what everyone's itching to know...

WHAT YEAR DID THE FEYTIN AT 'T FOOTY START?

lol

Don't know when it started, but my first away match was Forest in 67 and there was plenty of feytin that day. 

Mate who was 11 years older than me used to tell a story about being booted where no man should at Spurs in 64.

When I was a young teenager late 60's nicking scarfs was rife. First massive fight I witnessed was on the kop against Leeds in 68. I think there were about 180 arrested that day. There was always trouble when Man U came as well in  60's.

7 hours ago, S A Andy said:

I was there at Chelsea in 67 (1st away game) FA Cup quarter final. Match went into injury time and we thought we would stuff them at home in the replay, then Bobby Tambling? miskicked a shot, and the ball crept passed Ron Springett for their winner.  Heartbroken 12 yr old!! 

tommy baldwin I think …..here it is …..absolutely gut wrenching when it crept in . 

apr-04-1967-fa-cup-sixth-round-chelsea-versus-sheffield-wednesday-E0XM19.jpg