Cameron Dawson 'There's talk of Salary Caps'

8 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Ive said this before since the lockdown . I hope whats happening now causes the football bubble to burst ,and the game  to press the reset button. The game at present disgusts me . The greed at the top , the obscene amount of money swilling around has destroyed the game we all fell in love with. 

Fully agree...............I am done with it after over 40 years of season ticket holder....haven't renewed luckily

10 minutes ago, twolaptops said:

Fully agree...............I am done with it after over 40 years of season ticket holder....haven't renewed luckily

Agreed . The game is awful now . Most games are boring to watch and the prices charged are obscene . A re set on football can only be a good thing long term 

10 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

This is the best time to think about that ‘European League’ which incorporates the so called  cream of the crop - that won’t bend over backwards financially for anyone. In essence it can be the eye candy league with the rest of the domestic leagues being for the hardcore fans and they can look to bring in salary caps that way. At least then the big 6 or 7 clubs are the only ones stripped away. As we believe some clubs may fold then the rest of the leagues are made up of what’s left.

We could potentially lose the top 6 or 7 teams to the European League, lose a handful of clubs unfortunately due to finances and then re-balance the leagues accordingly. Division One, Division Two, Division Three, Division Four will have 22 teams in each meaning a 42 game league season.

All this would just be because those with the money will refuse any other changes. It’s a pie in the sky idea but football has to change somehow.

You do realise that by taking the top 6 or7 clubs out of the fray that you’ve just made dem blavdes champions don’t you  :duntmatter:

1 hour ago, twolaptops said:

40 years tells me it’s in your blood, I hope you get to go again (we will come out of this). 
Like @S36 OWL, I really hope this puts the breaks on the greed. My worry is, in 10 years time we’ll be heading the same way. Without the greed, the elite will not survive. 

Hopefully the admission prices will drop, forcing clubs to reduce wages and transfer fees, starve the agents. Or maybe I’m just too optimistic.  

Interviewer; "So Cameron how do you see this season and the next panning out?"

CD "I have no idea"

Interviewer "Okay, I'll just put loads of speculation and unanswered questions in to fill the column"

CD "Meh!"

22 hours ago, daleblue said:

The problem?

In so much that teams relegated would have players above the wage cap, how would the EFL accommodate

the big earners, give them a Season to come into line?

Without doubt that be worse than what we have at the moment with the relegated teams almost certain to be promoted,

if we could have an overall wage cap of say 15 million a year, (each club can then divvy out the money as they see fit)

this would keep clubs in the black.

It's how you can make it fair given the discrepancy, the Premier league would have to come into line or this would not 

work, and the only reason they would do this is by legislation from the governing bodies, given that the Premier League

is an independent Company, I'm not sure who they would listen to apart from themselves.

would in not help things if all professional leagues in England were run by the one governing body ?

2 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

would in not help things if all professional leagues in England were run by the one governing body ?

YES, buts thats why the 1st division went its own way and created the Premier League, knowing that they could earn

more being independent.

And Fu*k every one else.

GREED!

17 minutes ago, daleblue said:

YES, buts thats why the 1st division went its own way and created the Premier League, knowing that they could earn

more being independent.

And Fu*k every one else.

GREED!

Our chairman at the time was a significant contributor to that. 

12 hours ago, TINKERBELL said:

Agents want starving. Out of existence 

Players should be man enough to to say what they want face to face with owner and manager of club interested. 

Not hide behind a agent while on golf course saying no tell him that etc

If players need help negotiating contracts or transfers they can use the PFA, agents are just parasites leeching off clubs. 

12 hours ago, TINKERBELL said:

Players should be man enough to to say what they want face to face with owner and manager of club interested. 

With respect that's utter nonsense.

Take someone (not a footballer) going for an interview and the interviewer saying to them 'So... how much do you want paying?'

Many people couldn't answer that as they'd feel awkward or might undervalue/overvalue themselves in their demands.

Also if a ruthless businessman type chairman was to get a player alone in a boardroom my money would be on the chairman every time to get the deal they wanted rather than the player.

Owlstalk Shop

50 minutes ago, daleblue said:

more being independent.

And Fu*k every one else.

GREED!

The FA was also paranoid about the Football League and saw this as a vehicle to increase their own power and influence. I seem to recall Graham Kelly looking back on that with regret in later years saying they'd been too self-absorbed and not considered enough the health of the game overall.

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Take someone (not a footballer) going for an interview and the interviewer saying to them 'So... how much do you want paying?'

Many people couldn't answer that as they'd feel awkward or might undervalue/overvalue themselves in their demands.

Also if a ruthless businessman type chairman was to get a player alone in a boardroom my money would be on the chairman every time to get the deal they wanted rather than the player.

No doubt that agents are needed for these reasons and there are agents that do an excellent job of representing the best interests of their players.

Some though undoubtedly act with the influence of other interests in negotiations and the waters can become very murky. 

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

No doubt that agents are needed for these reasons and there are agents that do an excellent job of representing the best interests of their players.

Some though undoubtedly act with the influence of other interests in negotiations and the waters can become very murky. 

Agreed

That can only really happen as/when the chairmen allow it though

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

The FA was also paranoid about the Football League and saw this as a vehicle to increase their own power and influence. I seem to recall Graham Kelly looking back on that with regret in later years saying they'd been too self-absorbed and not considered enough the health of the game overall.

I was living abroad at the time all this was happening so wasn't aware of how things were working out,

so looking at your reply, was there some sort of power struggle going on?

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Agreed

That can only really happen as/when the chairmen allow it though

Maybe but there are other factors.

Say an owner signs a player on 20K a week for a 3-year contract. Said player performs decent and the club does OK for his first 18 months but another club 200 miles away shows an interest in signing him. The club are of a similar stature but the agent is aware they have potential financial problems on the horizon and move is obviously upheaval for the players family. Agent chooses not to divulge his inside info of the financial issues at the potential new club but encourages his client towards making the move as he stands to get a bonus from any pay rise and percentage of the signing on fee.   

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I do agree that there should be agents, amount of money, bonuses, etc, are not for the everyday bloke,

how ever I think that agents should be paid by the player and not by the club, he/she are employed by 

the player so should be paid by the player.

48 minutes ago, daleblue said:

I was living abroad at the time all this was happening so wasn't aware of how things were working out,

so looking at your reply, was there some sort of power struggle going on?

It's a long time since I read about this in David Conn's book 'The Beautiful Game' but as I recall there was an uneasy relationship between the Football League and Football Association with each side not trusting the other and persistent squabbling about who should be responsible for what. I don't think it had got to the point of outright war, but the fear was that it was always looming on the horizon. So when the biggest clubs went to the FA with the idea of the Premier League they saw this as the opportunity to take control in a way that had not been possible before. As a result, someone in their leadership (I think it was Graham Kelly) later said they may have been too paranoid about this power struggle and had not considered enough the effects of all this on the clubs being left behind.