Cameron Dawson 'There's talk of Salary Caps'

2 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

this is the route the club has already been doing down since last summer, thankfully.

I think we learnt from the mistakes of bringing in Fletcher on big money which meant everyone else wanted a pay rise. 

It does appear as though the club finally started to make a change in terms of approach to selling players and we haven't brought as many 'senior' players in recently - though that could be down to financial restrictions, time will tell.

Not sure I agree about bringing Fletcher in on big money being a mistake. He was a player with Premier League experience, proven at this level and available on a free. That justified him being worthy of a bigger salary than anyone else in our squad. The problem was with allowing others in the squad to have pay rises as a result.

Fletcher has justified his salary, yes his injuries have been frustrating but some have come about due to how committed he is on the pitch and from what others have said he is equally as focused in training.

You could point the finger at far many others in terms of big salaries that haven't been justified and certainly have not been earned in recent years.

I like the comments of Dawson shown in the OP but as others have said I fear a salary cap is a long way off. Some players might accept it but many will not want a huge reduction and will simply look towards other leagues for their big wages. The EFL would then be reluctant to enforce a meaningful cap as it would decrease the market value of their product if the best players at this level went elsewhere.

Disagree. 

In general, bringing in someone on big money upsets the morale as the rest of the squad want comparable wages. There will be some leaway if the player comes in and is unquestionably the best player in the league/squad, but Fletcher wasn't for a long time. 

Harbouring the spirit in future is more important, like the pigs these days, or like our team in the 90s.

18 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

It does appear as though the club finally started to make a change in terms of approach to selling players and we haven't brought as many 'senior' players in recently - though that could be down to financial restrictions, time will tell.

Not sure I agree about bringing Fletcher in on big money being a mistake. He was a player with Premier League experience, proven at this level and available on a free. That justified him being worthy of a bigger salary than anyone else in our squad. The problem was with allowing others in the squad to have pay rises as a result.

Fletcher has justified his salary, yes his injuries have been frustrating but some have come about due to how committed he is on the pitch and from what others have said he is equally as focused in training.

You could point the finger at far many others in terms of big salaries that haven't been justified and certainly have not been earned in recent years.

I like the comments of Dawson shown in the OP but as others have said I fear a salary cap is a long way off. Some players might accept it but many will not want a huge reduction and will simply look towards other leagues for their big wages. The EFL would then be reluctant to enforce a meaningful cap as it would decrease the market value of their product if the best players at this level went elsewhere.

I know the club have been changing their wage structure so that they do not pay what they have been. It’s the main reason why we didn’t sign Hector who wanted more than Fletcher. 

Fletcher has been a good signing and I don’t mean we learnt from mistakes in that footballing sense. Just that we didn’t have a wage structure in place so other top players at the club were able to take advantage of that. I suppose if we had stuck to a structure and not signed Fletcher or Rhodes as a result we may have been closer to keeping within FFP and therefore competitive for longer but who knows. 

It was the same with George Hirsts agents but we had a structure by then. 

The league can't impose a salary cap, it's illegal to do so. It would have to be left up to each individual club. Maybe clubs decide to spend within their income. That would be ideal. I can't see it though.

With parachute payments you could get to a situation where the clubs promoted are always those with parachute payments and the Premiership becomes even more of a closed shop. This issue really does need sorting out.

2 minutes ago, prowl said:

The league can't impose a salary cap, it's illegal to do so. It would have to be left up to each individual club. Maybe clubs decide to spend within their income. That would be ideal. I can't see it though.

With parachute payments you could get to a situation where the clubs promoted are always those with parachute payments and the Premiership becomes even more of a closed shop. This issue really does need sorting out.

Under which law? The rugby union governing body in this country imposes a salary cap doesn't it?

3 hours ago, mogbad said:

It wouldn't surprise me.  People keep saying some clubs are going to cease to exist & presume it will be League 1 & 2 clubs.  While League's 1 & 2 may be in the most danger it would be foolish thinking that Championship & Premier clubs will be safe.

There was a bloke on the radio a couple of weeks ago who said that people who know about these things reckon up to 41 clubs could fold or be in serious financial difficulties

9 minutes ago, darra said:

There was a bloke on the radio a couple of weeks ago who said that people who know about these things reckon up to 41 clubs could fold or be in serious financial difficulties

While that might be a worst case scenario I'm expecting the EFL to be down to 2 divisions or possibly absorbing National League teams that survive & operating with a North & South 2nd division with some teams running part time.

9 hours ago, Animis said:

I agree with his comments.

The problem is with the getting back to football as it use to be, with salary caps is that it would create an even bigger gap between the EFL and PL, as the PL players and clubs wouldn't sign up to that.

I may be wrong, but doesn't the Bundeslige run some form of Pay cap aimed at the clubs overall spend on players wages ?..

5 hours ago, prowl said:

The league can't impose a salary cap, it's illegal to do so.

I think now we are out of Europe we can do what we want and get back to implementing sensible laws

5 hours ago, prowl said:

"Salary Caps exist in many commercially successful sports around the world. The most obvious examples are the NFL and NHL in the USA, and the NRL and AFL in Australia. The introduction in football of UEFA’s Financial Fair Play and the Premier League clubs’ new financial regulations, together with Salary Caps in Rugby League, County Cricket, French Rugby Union’s Top 14, and the Welsh Regions in rugby union, all demonstrate how European sport has recently grasped the importance of controlling costs and long-term financial sustainability."

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/about-premiership-rugby/about-us/salary-cap/

4 hours ago, mogbad said:

While that might be a worst case scenario I'm expecting the EFL to be down to 2 divisions or possibly absorbing National League teams that survive & operating with a North & South 2nd division with some teams running part time.

The north and south 2nd division has been rumoured for a while. If only to stop.teams having to go from one end of the country to the other to play matches.

9 minutes ago, Ian said:

I think now we are out of Europe we can do what we want and get back to implementing sensible laws

We could have done that when we were in the EU. Salary caps exist in other sports and associated leagues that exist in the EU. 

47 minutes ago, Ian said:

The Premier League don't decide what is legal and not

No but they decide on whether they want a salary cap or not. The Government isn't going to force one on them and there is no way the likes of Man City, Liverpool and Man Utd would ever go down that road when they're competing with the big European clubs. 

Ive said this before since the lockdown . I hope whats happening now causes the football bubble to burst ,and the game  to press the reset button. The game at present disgusts me . The greed at the top , the obscene amount of money swilling around has destroyed the game we all fell in love with. 

3 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Ive said this before since the lockdown . I hope whats happening now causes the football bubble to burst ,and the game  to press the reset button. The game at present disgusts me . The greed at the top , the obscene amount of money swilling around has destroyed the game we all fell in love with. 

It's more likely to result in an even stronger elite and carnage amongst the lower status clubs sadly.