Cameron Dawson 'There's talk of Salary Caps'

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Agreed

That can only really happen as/when the chairmen allow it though

The PFA can represent players in discussions with clubs, no need for agents. 

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

If you were a player would YOU trust them to do that?

The PFA employ lawyers, so I don't see a problem. After all, players pay to be members in case they need representing. Do why can't they use them to represent them in contract discussions. I'd rather the PFA than some agent who is only trying to line his own pockets. 

Surely, the FFP rules are already a de facto salary cap in that the rules specify that the clubs cannot spend more than than their income on collective wages.

I am no legal expert but I would have also thought that the players would have a case for restraint of trade if they were capped.

Football appears not to be satisfied just sh4fting the fans. It wants to sh4ft the players now, too.

On 03/05/2020 at 12:07, shandypants said:

I really can’t see a European league ever happening.

The popularity of the domestic teams is created by the fair weather and “plastic” fans that “support their team” because said teams are beating all and sundry each season - just look how popular Blackburn were in the 90s and how popular Man Citeh are now. If the top twenty teams in Europe form a league then some of the top teams will be playing second fiddle in terms of results and (possibly) power/influence to your mega teams - why be a small fish in a big pond when you were the big fish in the smaller pond? 

I guess the most pertinent question would be “who plays in this new European League”. If we take a quick (cursory) count at the top teams per country you would have:

England: 6

Scotland: 2

France: 3

Spain: 6 

Germany: 6 

Italy: 6

The Netherlands: 3

Belgium: 2

Portugal: 4

Greece: 2 

Turkey: 3

Poland: 2

Russia: 3 

Ukraine: 1

Sweden: 1

Norway: 1 

Austria: 1 
Serbia: 1 

Then what about Hungary, Slovenia, Slovakia, Romania, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Bulgaria, Croatia et al? 

The teams that weren’t selected would be suing the pants of the European League as would the domestic leagues and associations that lost teams to this new league; maybe even FIFA and UEFA would sue if they weren’t the governing body. 

Finally, what would happen when the top teams want to return to their domestic leagues because they’re getting beat each week or the European league has failed Kerry Packer style? Surely the top teams would consider that in their risk/benefit analyses. 

I just can’t see it happening. 

I’m presuming your two from Scotland are from Glasgow? There is literally no justification for including Rangers in any top team list any more.

Since the new club was reformed they haven’t won a single major trophy. Celtic, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Ross County, St Johnstone, Inverness, and Kilmarnock have all won trophies more recently than Rangers.